Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

photographer uses rebel for wedding shoot

CPRPOTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 07, 2013 01:44 |  #16

They also use 2 other fast lenses. One is EF50 1.8f. The other one I forgot.

sponsored links
catchquan
209 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 07, 2013 02:13 |  #17

CPRPOTN wrote in post #15686425 (external link)
They also use 2 other fast lenses. One is EF50 1.8f. The other one I forgot.

Even then.. if I approached a wedding photographer who only had a rebel kit with a nifty fifty and maybe like a 85/1.8.. I'd be nervous about it. Like everyone said though, ask for their wedding port and if their work is good then its good.

But any serious wedding photographer should be at the level where they've taken their photographic interests high enough to invest in at least a prosumer body or L-lens. Plus consider that if that's ALL they have, what happens when their rebel dslr dies, do they have back up equipment?

"Look, I'm not an intellectual. I just take pictures"
Canon 5DMKII (Gripped) | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | 85 f/1.2L USM ii
| AB800 (3) | 530EX (2) |

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 07, 2013 05:15 |  #18

It doesn't matter what gear they use (sort of) - the only considerations are; is their work any good? Does it represent good value for money? How does their style gel with your requirements? Are they nice guys?

The gear will have some influence on those answers though, they won't be able to produce what most people would expect with the gear you describe.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 07, 2013 06:30 |  #19

Oh heck yeah it matters what gear a photog use, but at the same time, if you're only paying 2k for photo and video then you can't demand too much.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2013 08:18 |  #20

Man, $2k around here is a pretty decent investment imho.
especially since we have no idea what they are getting for their money, it could just be 4 hours with one person doing everything - taking pictures and another camera is on a tripod in the corner taking video. then i think we'd all think this is way too much money on a gamble.
anyway, too many unknowns for us to judge too much i guess is all i'm saying :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 07, 2013 08:43 |  #21

You do have a point, and like always "you get what you paid for"

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 07, 2013 08:52 |  #22

Numenorean wrote in post #15685173 (external link)
And yeah...if they have only one camera...are they doing just photos and just video at one particular time?

Agreed. I'm less concerned about the equipment, than about a single person trying to manage it all. A single person can not take good photos and good video simultaneously. I'd even venture so far as to say that a single person can't take mediocre photos and mediocre video simultaneously.

Are they bringing a second person to take video, and a third person to manage audio recording? That's a pretty good deal for $2k.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 07, 2013 09:16 |  #23

nathancarter wrote in post #15687170 (external link)
A single person can not take good photos and good video simultaneously. I'd even venture so far as to say that a single person can't take mediocre photos and mediocre video simultaneously.

Well said.

Is the ceremony/reception dimly lit? Do they have any external flash at least? If not, I would walk away.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CPRPOTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 08, 2013 03:21 |  #24

It's a 2 person team. one photographer and one videographer.

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 08, 2013 09:13 as a reply to  @ CPRPOTN's post |  #25

I'll only speak for myself here, but I suspect a lot of wedding photographers have carried a Rebel around as a backup.

I use a 5D3, but if I could get a Rebel sized/weighted DSLR with all the features of the 5D3, I would probably use one. Prosumer DLSRs are heavy and bulky. Drag one around for 10 hours and you arms hurt.

If a photographer had a plan to use a bucket of Rebels as their preferred camera, I wouldn't have a major problem with it as long as they used good lenses and had a great off-cam lighting setup. However, I've never seen it done that way.

Usually a photographer uses Rebels because they can't afford anything better. These people are either constantly struggling to overcome the limitations of their equipment, or are too ignorant to know any better.

As Tim has pointed out in other threads, photography is the only business where the cost of good business equipment is really very low. You can get setup with top-notch stuff for under $10k. Try buying a franchise for that. Try opening any retail establishment for that, or even a fraction of that.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 08, 2013 09:25 |  #26

Odd my arms don't hurt after a wedding. If anything it's my feet.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2013 09:39 |  #27

CoPhotoGuy wrote in post #15691408 (external link)
Odd my arms don't hurt after a wedding. If anything it's my feet.

Yeah I was gonna say, it's usually not my arms that hurt; it's everything else.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 08, 2013 09:43 |  #28

Everything's bigger in Texas. Even gravity. :p

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2013 10:25 |  #29

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #15691492 (external link)
Everything's bigger in Texas. Even gravity. :p

Well, everything except your muscles. ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 08, 2013 11:29 |  #30

I rock two 5D3s with grips and a 35L and 85L for most of the day. Sometimes my lower back is sore. Often my feet or sore. Never had sore arms. Have had sore shoulders, though.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

47,712 views & 25 likes for this thread
photographer uses rebel for wedding shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.