Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't take photos here!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 06, 2013 12:43 |  #1

Surprise Visitors Are Unwelcome At The NSA's Unfinished Utah Spy Center (Especially When They Take Photos)

http://www.forbes.com …a-utah-data-center-visit/ (external link)

sponsored links
Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 07, 2013 22:29 |  #2

I've heard stories like this surrounding other government buildings. I thought I remember reading something about a DARPA building in Atlanta that couldn't be photographed. However, it was also in the middle of a city and may end up in some photos as a consequence. Not to mention, in that situation a tourist may just happen to find it interesting looking and take a picture not knowing what it is. The same stuff in that story, the photographer was hassled by government agents or contractors. However, in the case of this NSA building, there is nothing else around from the way the story described. There's no other reason to be out there unless it has something to do with that building. However, I think it would be nice if the government would be completely transparent and not hide the kinds of stuff that will be in that building from the US citizens.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 07, 2013 22:32 |  #3

So what else would you be expecting from a Center under that title?

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 08, 2013 01:26 |  #4

Luxornv wrote in post #15690220 (external link)
I've heard stories like this surrounding other government buildings. I thought I remember reading something about a DARPA building in Atlanta that couldn't be photographed. However, it was also in the middle of a city and may end up in some photos as a consequence. Not to mention, in that situation a tourist may just happen to find it interesting looking and take a picture not knowing what it is. The same stuff in that story, the photographer was hassled by government agents or contractors. However, in the case of this NSA building, there is nothing else around from the way the story described. There's no other reason to be out there unless it has something to do with that building. However, I think it would be nice if the government would be completely transparent and not hide the kinds of stuff that will be in that building from the US citizens.

Failure to hide it from the American people would mean failure to hide it from the enemies of America.

The entire story smacks of "bearding the lion." They knew it was a government installation and moreover, it's an NSA facility. Did they really think they could just roll up and snap away without being challenged? They're either increadibly ballsy or increadibly stupid.

I spend more time near military air bases than do probably most folks and the first rule of such photography is don't let your lens linger inside the fence.

No sympathy from me for getting rousted...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 08, 2013 06:14 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #5

Er, surely common sense would spell out taking photographs of a spy centre would be a sensative issue, or have I completely missed the point?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 08, 2013 06:45 |  #6

Surprise visitors are unwelcome at an NSA "Spy" center? Say it ain't so. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 08, 2013 08:47 |  #7

Nahin wrote in post #15690577 (external link)
I have read and seen, its amazed me, celestial place forever. So what would you do? Whats is plan?

I'd start with reading the signs on the way in, and then I'd turn around and leave.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 08, 2013 12:55 |  #8

As a Citizen of the US and of Utah, I applaud the officers for getting rid of this crazy woman. The way she describes her decision to visit the NSA site tells me she was hoping something like this would happen so she could be outraged at the "evil" government.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 08, 2013 14:03 |  #9

I gotta believe those NSA guys can just hit a button on a small device in their pocket and erase whatever is on someone's iPad or memory card, and maybe even make them forget their visit to the not-so-secret building.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 08, 2013 14:25 |  #10

That reminds me, I need to check when they are hiring. This would be a cool place to work, I think. It's a 20 min drive from my house.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 08, 2013 16:54 |  #11

mpix345 wrote in post #15692468 (external link)
I gotta believe those NSA guys can just hit a button on a small device in their pocket and erase whatever is on someone's iPad or memory card, and maybe even make them forget their visit to the not-so-secret building.

They can do better than that, they can hit a button on that same small device and erase you.

I'd tell you about my encounters with them, but I don't think it'd be a good idea.

sponsored links

2,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't take photos here!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.