Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 16:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a second body!

alskouba
21 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2013 16:53 |  #1

Hi every one!

I am using a 5d mkIII and I love this camera! I shoot mostly with prime lens,and since I shoot events,press,documenta​iry and sports having the right focal lenght at the right time is super important for me. So I came to the conclusion that I need a second body.

What is important for me. Full frame sensor! I really love to play with the DOF. I recently tried a APS-H camera (1dmkIII) and it could do the trik but I do prefer full frame.

Then what I would love to have since I shoot 90% of the time in AV is linked af point to spot metering.5d mkIII dosent have it and I would like another camera that as it.

Battery life is really important for me since I shoot often in hard weater condition and for long period.

And then even if I shoot sports, 6 fps is good for me. If I have more I go trigger happy and have to many files to choose from. But I know that in crutial moments It does comme really handy.

I have been considering 1ds mkIII since I tried my friends one and was simply amazed by the files. Autofocus is amazing. 1d mkIII is a pretty good camera also but 10MP really? But it would allow me to get another lens like a 24mm f1.4 or a 135mm f2.

There are many other possibility but i'd like to know what you guys, based on experience or opinion,think will be the best camera to fullfill my needs.

Thanks
Alexis

sponsored links
h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 07, 2013 17:28 |  #2

If you can shell out for a 1Ds3 just get another 5D3.

If you want glass get a 5D2/1D3. 10MP is plenty for what you're doing. It's about 5x what you need.

Anthon
267 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 07, 2013 17:48 as a reply to  @ h4ppydaze's post |  #3

Sounds like you want a second 5DIII :lol:

Canon 5D mark II Gripped / 17-40mm f4 L / 24-105mm f4 L / Canon 70-200 f4 L / Samyang 14mm 2.8 AE / Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7 / Pentax SMC 28 2.8 / Canon Speedlite 600ex-rt / Canon Speedlite 580ex II / YN560 II

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2013 17:52 |  #4

1D3/1Ds3.

10MP is way more than enough for news stuff...hell, we used to put pictures taken with our 2 MP Blackberrys into the paper.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

JPR ­ Images
380 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 07, 2013 18:44 |  #5

I shoot with two 5DM3 cameras and totally love having identical bodies and batteries. In the past I shot with 1DM4 & 1DM3, I always favored the M4 because of better picture quality, now I don't have that worry.

JPR
www.jprimages.com (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2013 20:04 |  #6

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15689200 (external link)
1D3/1Ds3.

10MP is way more than enough for news stuff...hell, we used to put pictures taken with our 2 MP Blackberrys into the paper.

agree with Lowrider

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Condotierri
58 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 08, 2013 00:15 |  #7

Identical bodies, one with a 35 and the other with a 135 sounds dreamy.

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickr (external link)

rampanthamster
135 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 08, 2013 01:52 |  #8

i faced a similar dilemma recently and have decided it's just worth it in the long run to shell out for an identical body, so i'll be picking up another 5d3 next week. For me, knowing that i won't miss a shot due to temporary 'confusion' in switching between bodies made it worth it. I'll just have both 5d's set up in exactly the same way with different lenses on (this is for weddings) and everything will be nice and seamless.

5D Mk III (x2) - 16-35 F/4L - 24-70 F/2.8 II L - 35 F/1.4L - Sigma 50 1.4 ART - 85 F/1.2L - 135 F/2.0L - Samyang 14mm F/2.8

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 08, 2013 06:43 |  #9

I don't know why you don't consider a 1D Mark IV. 10 fps for sports, 16.5 MPixels in 1.3 crop so the resolution is great. Spot metering based on focal point, 1D rugged and battery life is great

Yes it's not full frame but give that extra reach and takes every lens and give you a little different view.
I have it and the 5DIII and I think together they cover everything. Very complimentary IMO.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

alskouba
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 08, 2013 08:25 |  #10

Thank's for all the response!

I must says that 5d mkII is out of the equation even do it gives fabulus files,autofocus is not there at all... then A lot of you suggest another 5d3. I know it would probably be the most logical thing but it is the most expensive body of them all...and it dosent have spot metering based on focus point...And I will probably get smash for this lol but 5d3 is not that sharp at low Iso. I made some test compare to 5d2 and 1ds3 at iso 100, studio lighting, 100mm macro,f8 and clearly both of them where sharper.I dont know if it is the AA filter or the in camera processing(Noise reduction is off).Anyways It is still my favorite camera for every thing else than studio or portrait in good light.
I did consider 1dIV but I will have to sell a lens to afford it just like 5d3.

So it seems like there is 4 option...

1.get a 1d3 with another prime lens
2.get a 1ds3 and wait a month or two to get another prime lens
3.sell a lens like 100mm macro or 85mm 1.8 and get 5d3
4.again sell one of these lens and get a 1dmkIV.

kmtyb
261 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 08, 2013 10:51 as a reply to  @ alskouba's post |  #11

I was in the same situation and wanted a back up body for my 5DIII and just purchased very nice 1D III. Last year, I sold my 1D III, 1D iv, and 5D II when I got 5D III. My chain of thought was the following:

I wanted second body for back up, outdoor sports, and some studio product photography needed for internet.

Option one 5D II - Great image quality but lack of fps and auto focus not designed for sports
Option two 1D iv - Great image quality and great auto focus for sports but for the cost purchase another 5D III??? This option will not be a back up replacement but cost more than primary
Option three 1D III - Good image quality and great auto focus for sports. Only major disadvantage vs. 5D II and 1D iv is high ISO capabilities. For bad light situation, I have my 5D III. Great value used 1000-1200.......

Just purchased 1D III :)

TY

sponsored links

1,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a second body!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.