Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rodenstock CPL Filter - any good?

777guru
97 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 06, 2013 14:32 |  #1

Picked one up at a recent show. Just wanted to hear opinions before I open the case...... It is a Japan branded version.

Many thanks in Advance

777guru.

sponsored links
vschapman
444 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2013 12:42 |  #2

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have a Rodenstock enlarger lens and the quality is superior. I would say it's good quality.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Gripped | Canon AE-1 Program | Bronica ETRS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II - EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III - Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6
- FD-EOS Adapter - Various FD Lenses - Home Darkroom

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 07, 2013 20:11 as a reply to  @ vschapman's post |  #3

I used to use Rodenstock enlarging lenses when I was doing my own B/W printing. At the time, along with Schneider, one of the best enlarger lenses on the market. They also made view camera lenses.

I didn't know Rodenstock made filters so if their filters are every bit as good as their lenses, they should be very good. BTW,, Rodenstock lenses came out of Germany.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Jomax
71 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 08, 2013 07:37 |  #4

I have a 3 stop ND filter, is of very high quality, works excellent

5D Mark III | 7D | EFS 15-85 IS | EFS 17-55 IS | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200L IS Mark II | EF 40 2.8 | EF 100-400L | 85 1.2L |24 70 2.8L II | 2x Einsteins | 2x EX580's |Cyber Commander|Cactus 5's|

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 08, 2013 09:53 |  #5

Rodenstock is a grand old name in the lens business.... They have also offered filters (among other optical products) for a long time. I would imagine Rodenstock has made different qualities of filters over the years, just like everyone else. If you bought the current "HR Digital Super MC" model or the less expensive "MC Pro", both are multicoated and from the specs appears to be very high quality. The more expensive model uses a brass mounting ring. The less expensive uses aluminum. The more expensive model is claimed to have more dust/moisture/scratch resistant coatings.

Not sure what you mean by "Japan branded"... All Rodenstock are manufactured in Germany. Perhaps you just mean the box is in Japanese, intended for sale in the Japanese market? I can't see where that would matter.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,632 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2013 12:21 |  #6

The Rodenstock company was acquired by LINOS AG, a multinational company with arms in Europe, Asia, and USA. The Rodenstock brand name now operates as part of a business group Qioptiq within LINOS. So with mergers and acquisitions it is not surprising to learn that there are now Rodenstock brand filters. The quality is unknown, as companies that make lenses, like Canon, offer filters that are inferior to major filter manufacturer premium products like Hoya and B+W.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 08, 2013 14:14 |  #7

I picked up a 58mm Rodenstock CPL when I first got into photography about 10 years ago. It was and is a superb piece of glass. As long as it's clean and relatively scratch free, yours should serve you well.

777guru
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 09, 2013 14:31 |  #8

great, thanks for the info chaps. I got quite a good deal on one at the imaging show NEC Birmingham a few days ago, I just wanted to cross check a impulse buy without having heard of them before.

777guru

sponsored links

2,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rodenstock CPL Filter - any good?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.