Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Mar 2013 (Friday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how's the switch from SLR to MFT (something like the fuji X-E1)

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 08, 2013 11:29 |  #1

i mostly shoot F&F events, and take the cam with me for travel. otherwise it rarely (almost never) leaves my house. when travelling, it is hard for me to be in my photos, since its hard to give someone else an SLR and ask them to take a pic unless its full auto (theres also a trust issue of them not running off with it, or dropping it).

as such, ive been contemplating switching to a compact system, and ive been reading alot of good stuff about the fuji x100/100s/X-E1. i think the X-E1 would be the better choice, since it does offer an interchangeable lens system.

those who switched completely from SLR to fuji or another MFT system, do you have any regrets (in terms of usability, going from SLR to rangefinder, lens selection/versatility, etc)?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,244 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2013 11:43 |  #2

I think you'll still have trust issues if you let someone hold your expensive fuji system. Anyhow, you can get started in these threads:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1136037
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1222727

I think there are some that have been in your same boat in those threads, and thoughts about the switch. You should also consider a cheap pns IMO.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 08, 2013 12:24 |  #3

thanks, ill take a peek at those
i shouldve mentioned that i also have the S100 that i bring with me in my pocket... but i am not thrilled enough with that to be the solo vacation cam (thats a diff conversation)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 08, 2013 12:56 |  #4

After renting an EM5 and a XE1 for a weekend each, I came away very impressed with the EM5 and not so much with the XE1. Personally I found the m4/3 camera to be well done (although the menus can difficult for someone not used to it) and it allowed me to get my shots much faster with less hassle. m4/3 cameras also tend to be highly customizable. It feels like a 2013 camera.
In contrast I found the Fuji to feel more like a 2009 camera and I missed shots trying to work with the camera.

I think you'll have a problem with any camera you hand to a stranger unless it is your S100, which looks enough like a plain point and shoot to not feel worth the effort to run off with.

Personally, I would go m4/3 for the customizability, and huge lens selection. Also, the touchscreen focus is so fast that it can be used like most phones to just tap and shoot so you're settings can already be set.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,244 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2013 14:25 |  #5

ekinnyc wrote in post #15692107 (external link)
thanks, ill take a peek at those
i shouldve mentioned that i also have the S100 that i bring with me in my pocket... but i am not thrilled enough with that to be the solo vacation cam (thats a diff conversation)

I also have the S100, and it leaves MUCH to be desired. I've found my every day carry package: 5D2 + 40mm pancake. It's a seriously small package, and I have no issues carrying it in my Stealth bag. It still takes fantastic photos, and the AF is what you expect from a DSLR.

there's no zoom, but I find it a pleasure to use in public. You're not weilding a huge lens, which grabs attention, and the weight is also a drag. I also do not shoot with a strap, since it gets in the way. I use the paracord strap, but in my case, shoe strings :lol:

I find the pancake to be an excellent compromise. I've only used the pancake for a few weeks now, but it's so tiny, I would be comfortable carrying it ALL the time. It'd be nice if it were weather sealed, had IS, and F2, but it's a cheap lens... and it sure costs less than trying out a smaller system (and yes I've pondered a lot about smaller systems)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 08, 2013 14:34 |  #6

Charlie wrote in post #15692542 (external link)
I also have the S100, and it leaves MUCH to be desired. I've found my every day carry package: 5D2 + 40mm pancake. It's a seriously small package, and I have no issues carrying it in my Stealth bag. It still takes fantastic photos, and the AF is what you expect from a DSLR.

there's no zoom, but I find it a pleasure to use in public. You're not weilding a huge lens, which grabs attention, and the weight is also a drag. I also do not shoot with a strap, since it gets in the way. I use the paracord strap, but in my case, shoe strings :lol:

I find the pancake to be an excellent compromise. I've only used the pancake for a few weeks now, but it's so tiny, I would be comfortable carrying it ALL the time. It'd be nice if it were weather sealed, had IS, and F2, but it's a cheap lens... and it sure costs less than trying out a smaller system (and yes I've pondered a lot about smaller systems)

that is a good point. it actually is something i tell myself - that instead of switching systems (and potentially not liking it), maybe get a small light prime, and just take that on vacation. it wouldnt solve my issue of having someone use my camera to get me in the pics, but it would make it easier on me to carry around and shoot. whether i do switch or dont, i am still trying to do my research and gather some first-person experiences. thanks for your input!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

auto-clicker
801 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 08, 2013 14:51 |  #7

I have added different formats to my arsenal for different uses.

DSLR for sports (7D ...might add the 5D3 for portraits)
MFT for travelling (NEX currently but looking at XE-1 for its low light capabilities but if $$$ get low will just add the NEX6)
P&S for the minions (LX 5)

sponsored links

1,250 views & 0 likes for this thread
how's the switch from SLR to MFT (something like the fuji X-E1)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.