Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Mar 2013 (Friday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice for kit lens replacement...or

JRovio
29 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 08, 2013 14:44 |  #1

Hi

Having a bit of a problem, i got 60d with Kit 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm and 50 f/1.8 II. I have been trying to decide what to get to replace kit lens and be better in low light, indoors mostly, birthdays and other family things so far.I did shoot some indoors concerts and not even 1.8 was fast enough so that would be one focus.

But thats not all i want :rolleyes: really wanted something to replace 55-250mm. I sorted that out couple days ago and ordered 70-200 f/4 L IS after a month of reading.

Missing macro too, thinking about tamron 90mm f/2.8.
I did order a flash couple weeks ago from ebay, still waiting for that.

So problem is ...money :lol: just don't know enough that should i just keep kit lens (don't like its IQ) with flash for places it can be used and get macro lens(really like shooting macros), i got macro extension rings but its very limited. Or replace kit and save money for macro, its still winter here in Finland and i think my main use for macro is at spring/summer.

So that walkabout/general use short prime or zoom to replace kit or macro. Studying new profession atm so money is really tight specially after that 70-200mm (wich i should be getting next week). I might be able to sqeeze max 600€(abot 781$) with credit. This is atm just hobby but serious one and part of my new profession :)

I am more of technical person, i like sharp pictures and fast af. I also shoot videos. Landscape, portrait, partys, my child (4 years old), nature, animals, macros.

Is there anything that fits for this? Used would be nice but there are not many places to look from(locally) , out of eu area there is customs + vat, and for more expencive lens i have to use credit. Should i just save and try to make do what i got?

Can't make up my mind . . . . Heeeeelp

P.s i just found this forum like 3-4 weeks a go and can't stop reading, learned so much new things and seen oh so many amazing photos. Just loving this place :cool:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II EOS 60D | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS EF 50mm f/1.8 EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Yongnuo YN-560-II

sponsored links
Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 08, 2013 15:03 |  #2

When I was in the same boat several years ago I just bought a 50 1.4 and that kept me plenty satisfied for years... I've learned, however, that fast primes don't always correct for poor lighting situations and bounced flash can compensate for slower zoom (2.8 and up). So you can go fast prime or flash+EFS zoom... the zoom being the bonus part.

I shot pictures of the kids at Christmas time with a 24-70 + speed light + battery pack and got a better "in focus" rate than I would have with a fast prime. The pictures all have a better look than the ambient light of the room too.

I'm rambling here, but this is just my take from years of experimenting with different solutions to different problems...

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 08, 2013 15:25 |  #3

If you need faster than f/1.8; i'd say it's not worth it. Narrow DOF will make it hard/frustrating.

My vote would be to get 430 exii or similar ettl flash you can bounce; and a macro. If you are still not happy with the sharpness; look into upgrading the kit lens to a 17-50 f/2.8; 18-85, or if you want to consider FF in the future; a 24-70L or 24-105L.

(In your exact position; same lens collection on a t3i; I sold 18-55; picked up 430 exII, 24-105L, 11-16 f/2.8 for wide; and 100 Macro. You don't have to go as crazy as I did though)

[6D]

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 08, 2013 15:58 |  #4

get a macro (whatever you can afford) and use the flash you got off ebay. Then when money permits get a sigma 17 - 50 f2.8

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 08, 2013 20:15 |  #5

JRovio wrote in post #15692595 (external link)
Hi

So problem is ...money :lol:

...I might be able to sqeeze max 600€(abot 781$) with credit. This is atm just hobby but serious one and part of my new profession :)

Marry rich! :cool:

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

JRovio
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 09, 2013 02:41 |  #6

MakisM1 wrote in post #15693604 (external link)
Marry rich! :cool:

Heh married already, but not that rich :lol:

Thanks for replys, i'll wait untill i get flash and get to use it on situations i need improved. Buid-in flash with diffuser(cheap ebay one) has some use but can't really compare it to external. I was thinking e-ttl supported like yongnuo 468 II but got yongnuo 560 II instead, very cheap but should have a lot of power, easy to start practice manual control.

I got try canon 580 ex II, couple weeks ago in our multicam production, on my spare time took pictures of performers this is one with flash + some plastic diffuser pointed straight at her.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
it was dark in there but thats mostly camera and flash settings.

Anyway there is more of my recent pictures in my photostream. Latest (uploaded couple minutes ago) are taken with 55-250mm + full macro rings, just some tests to see if i really need real macro lens. Lost my old pictures taken 2011 :( with same gears.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II EOS 60D | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS EF 50mm f/1.8 EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Yongnuo YN-560-II

sponsored links

935 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for kit lens replacement...or
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.