Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 04 Mar 2013 (Monday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturn 04-04-2013

Viffer
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 04, 2013 00:35 |  #1

IMAGE: http://www.igdimages.co.uk/Forums/conv_Sat_13-03-04%2004-47-43_pipp_g3_b3_ap12.jpg
Saturn 04-03-2013 - 04:47:43 GMT
Took this early in the morning under Very Poor viewing conditions. Saturn is Very low in the sky and difficult to image due to cloud and high pollution.
Still and all things considered, I am reasonably happy with this image.
Celestron CGEM DX 11 Edge HD. Tele Vue power-Mate x2. DBK 21 AU 618 with IR filter. Debayered and centered in Pipp, Stacked in Autostakkert 2 (1500 of 3000). Deconvolution and wavelets in Astra Image 3.0 Pro. Final adjustments in Photoshop Cs5. Image at 130% original size.

sponsored links
Viffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 08, 2013 06:56 |  #2

Wow! 200+ views and not a sigle comment...I guess no one likes Saturn

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,589 posts
Gallery: 359 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 08, 2013 07:00 |  #3

Sometimes a post goes overlooked, for unknown reasons. :)
I think it's a pretty good shot, especially given the conditions. Well done!

My flickr (external link)

PaulD71
121 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 08, 2013 09:48 |  #4

So this is what Saturn is going to look like in April? Nice! :lol:

;)

Good shot, BTW.

Body: Canon XSi
Lenses: EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2013 11:10 |  #5

Nice size for viewing and you've capture alot of data for detail . Viffer , when you image do you ever take time to just view before you get busy imaging ? I think that is very important with astronomy . I enjoy viewing so much i probably spend 75-80% of my scoping time just viewing . I'm probably more astonished at Saturn than anything else besides M42 . Saturn is what got me hooked over 15 yrs ago in astronomy .

Viffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 08, 2013 12:07 |  #6

Thank you guys for the comments.

Ron, In my youth, we had a house in the north of Spain with amazing dark skies (we talking unspoiled 1970's country side here) The views of the milky way, M45, M42 and M31 (among other objects) in the warm summer nights, is what got me hooked into Astronomy. I was just 5 years old.
My father was keen for me to carry on with my new found interest and promptly bought me a pair of binoculars (the first of many sets I would end up owning through the years).

Last November (2012) and after some 30 year of my adult life with an attitude towards telescopes of should I? mmm...maybe not, I finally bought my first, The very capable Celestron CGEMDX 11" HD. That very night, on my first view of Jupiter, my second thought was, WOW I missed all this glory for 30 years!
*Edit*
Just to clarify, I did buy a second hand Meade ETX 125 a month before I bought the Celestron and, I have had (albeit restricted) access to my friend's 14" LX200 on my trips to Spain. He is into faint deep space objects imaging and not interested in planets. So, the access consisted on me watching him do his thing. Boring at times but, I did learn an awful lot about deep sky imagining from him.
Regardless the Celestron is my first "proper" telescope.
*Edit*
Anyway, as you know, these days, I live in the south east of England which means that, together with cloudy skies, humidity and dew is a real problem. On the rare clear nights we do have, I get on with imagining first and then, when dew starts to form, I switch to visual observing :).

BTW that was my second visual contact with Saturn through a telescope and, my second attempt at imaging the planet. My first view was on the 18th (Feb 2013) and it was breath taking.

On a side note, I just received my HOTECH collimator (external link), Will let you all know how I get on with it... First impressions, It sure looks complicated!

atexasphotog
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 08, 2013 12:58 |  #7

good capture!

Canon 6D,T3i, Powershot G16| 50mm 1.8II|100-400mm F4.5-5.6L|24-105 IS F/4 L||16-35mm F/2.8 vIIL|lCanon 1.4x mkII TC|580 EXII |Keeping it all in a KATA Backpack
http://texasphotog.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

Viffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 08, 2013 13:04 |  #8

Thank you Texas Photog.
I think i might have understated when I said my telescope was slightly out of collimation. There should be 3 red dots in that target!

IMAGE: http://www.igdimages.co.uk/Forums/Outofcollimation.jpg
In fact, it is so far out, I am actually amazed I managed to get any images at all!!!
(Either that or I am using the (complex) collimator completely the wrong way)
*Edit*
Well, as it turned out, the diagnostic above was the result of inconsistencies. These were caused by a mixture of small errors on initial setup, fine alignment and, the particulars of my telescope optical train.
It took a while to work it out as I went through the list of potential known problems systematically and my problem solution was not in that list.
I can now get consistent readings (a good place to be with this very sensitive instrument).

For the record the OTA was, as suspected, slightly/moderately out of collimation.
It took some time but, I did manage rough collimation. The OTA moves with every little turn of the screw driver and, needs realignment with the target after each adjustment. So, This is as good as I can get it (for now). I am now waiting for my Bob's knobs to arrive, that should make things a little easier.

Of course this is all well and dandy inside doors, the acid test still to come.... as soon as the weather clears.
Will keep you guys posted.
*Edit*

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 08, 2013 15:25 |  #9

I love the reactions you get from people when they see it in the eyepiece for the first time.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

Viffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 08, 2013 16:11 |  #10

Does anyone have experience with this product?

I just bought it (on internet reviews which seem to rave about it!). Alas, and although I am following instructions to a T, results vary wildly.

After first initial alignment, 1 spot appeared on the target (see post above). I found it hard to believe that my scope would be so far out and still, I'll get half decent images from it.

So, I repeated the procedure and this time, 2 appeared. I did the alignment procedure once more and this time, none appeared. On another attempt, 3 appeared...

In short, I find it difficult to trust it (you'll be happy to know I have not touched any collimation screws yet).

Any help on how to get consistent readings will be most appreciated

Took me a while but... sussed!
Still slightly out but, near enough for today!

IMAGE: http://www.igdimages.co.uk/Forums/nearenough.jpg

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 08, 2013 20:46 |  #11

That's an awesome shot, I wish I had some equipment to get something like that.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2013 21:28 |  #12

I gotta admit , that HOTECH is a strange contraption ! Never seen one before . I hope it works well for you . Be sure and update us how it goes and works .

vschapman
444 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 08, 2013 21:34 |  #13

Great job! This is amazing.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Gripped | Canon AE-1 Program | Bronica ETRS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II - EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III - Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6
- FD-EOS Adapter - Various FD Lenses - Home Darkroom

Viffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 10, 2013 10:57 |  #14

Luxornv wrote in post #15693673 (external link)
That's an awesome shot, I wish I had some equipment to get something like that.

Thank you. FWIW, You don't need very expensive equipment to get a similar shot :)

vschapman wrote in post #15693801 (external link)
Great job! This is amazing.

Thank you!

Viffer
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 10, 2013 11:10 |  #15

Celestron wrote in post #15693790 (external link)
I gotta admit , that HOTECH is a strange contraption ! Never seen one before . I hope it works well for you . Be sure and update us how it goes and works .

Certainty, it is not an easy to use gadget. It has taken me 3 days to fully understand how to set it up with my gear.

IMAGE: http://www.igdimages.co.uk/Forums/perfectcollimation.jpg

I've only just managed perfect collimation albeit, it needs to be confirmed with a real star. If that yields positive results, the contraption will allow perfect collimation in 30 minutes regardless of weather conditions :)

sponsored links

2,768 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saturn 04-04-2013
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.