Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 03:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Rights Advice

I23
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 10, 2013 03:19 |  #1

Hi guys - I need a piece of advice regarding a photo I took.

I was on a report for the newspaper here in France about collecting wool, whilst the journo was busy interviewing I went off to look for an 'Image du Jour' and found one.

It was a young boy with his puppy relaxing on some wool sacks and I just caught it right with the puppy licking his face with the inevitable facial expression that goes with that:D.

I asked permission for the photo to go in the newspaper the next day and showed her the image which she did, which is a legal requirement here in France.

Now here is the problem. I can not remember where the heck the farm was so I can not go to ask her if I can use it on my website as an example of my portrait work.

Do I absolutely 'own' the photo as she had given her permission for me to publish in the newspaper and am free to use on my website?

I'm not worried about the rights of the newspaper as they would be cool about me using it anyway.

Many thanks in advance.

Canon 5D2 - 70-200 L II f2.8 - 24-70 L f2.8 16-35 L f2.8

sponsored links
Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 10, 2013 04:02 |  #2

I23 wrote in post #15697287 (external link)
Hi guys - I need a piece of advice regarding a photo I took.

I was on a report for the newspaper here in France about collecting wool, whilst the journo was busy interviewing I went off to look for an 'Image du Jour' and found one.

It was a young boy with his puppy relaxing on some wool sacks and I just caught it right with the puppy licking his face with the inevitable facial expression that goes with that:D.

I asked permission for the photo to go in the newspaper the next day and showed her the image which she did, which is a legal requirement here in France.

Now here is the problem. I can not remember where the heck the farm was so I can not go to ask her if I can use it on my website as an example of my portrait work.

Do I absolutely 'own' the photo as she had given her permission for me to publish in the newspaper and am free to use on my website?

I'm not worried about the rights of the newspaper as they would be cool about me using it anyway.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello I23

I don't know much about French Law but in almost any part of the world that I know, the rights of a picture belong to the photographer since it is his/her work.

Can you please though clarify who the ' her ' referenced in your post is? You say you took a picture of a boy and his dog but then introduced a lady into the discussion. Was this the boy's mother? As you later on stated that she had ' given you permission to publish ', then you are AFAIK free to use the image on your website.

Perhaps other members may offer their opinion here :)

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 10, 2013 09:45 as a reply to  @ Houston1863's post |  #3

Two concepts here.......

RIGHT TO PICTURE (copyright - you take it and its yours)

WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT LATER (IE Ability to use it, right of publicity, etc)

In this case on your website, (even in France) probably not a problem. To sell it for commerical use (to sell something other than as an example of your work), you are going to need permission from MOM and to be safe DAD too...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 10, 2013 10:36 |  #4

First- there are few people here with experience in French Privacy Laws. You really must speak to a lawyer about this. Perhaps somebody else in the group remembers the farm.

According to this, French Law does require explcit permission for each type of use-which you did not get before.

http://photothisandtha​t.co.uk …5/the-french-privacy-law/ (external link)

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,054 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 11, 2013 02:17 |  #5

sspellman wrote in post #15697960 (external link)
First- there are few people here with experience in French Privacy Laws. You really must speak to a lawyer about this. Perhaps somebody else in the group remembers the farm.

According to this, French Law does require explcit permission for each type of use-which you did not get before.

http://photothisandtha​t.co.uk …5/the-french-privacy-law/ (external link)

+1 to all this.
Not only is there the issue of French law but you also need to consider the terms of the contract you were working under while shooting for the paper as that may have clauses that relate to copyright ownership.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

I23
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 11, 2013 04:37 |  #6

Houston1863 wrote in post #15697331 (external link)
Hello I23

I don't know much about French Law but in almost any part of the world that I know, the rights of a picture belong to the photographer since it is his/her work.

Can you please though clarify who the ' her ' referenced in your post is? You say you took a picture of a boy and his dog but then introduced a lady into the discussion. Was this the boy's mother? As you later on stated that she had ' given you permission to publish ', then you are AFAIK free to use the image on your website.

Perhaps other members may offer their opinion here :)

Just to clarify the 'her' was the boys grandmother.

Thanks guys for the info and links I will get reading.

Canon 5D2 - 70-200 L II f2.8 - 24-70 L f2.8 16-35 L f2.8

JohnWildgoose
50 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 11, 2013 08:46 |  #7

a case for buying a 6D and using the GPS function 123!! You could then track her down ;)

www.johnwildgoose.com (external link)

sponsored links

934 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Rights Advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.