Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digitizing 120 medium format slides/film...DSLR

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 26, 2013 13:52 |  #46

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15654609 (external link)
Nah, if I wanted to, I'd get the crons a long time ago.

I am just not sure I actually need it or want it, for that matter. I'll have to baby the crons and I can abuse the russian lenses.

I've been looking at the 35mm scopar. It's half a grand and is almost as slow as 2.8 - it's not worth it. Especially considering I found the jupiter 12 with a fed body near a dumpster. So it was free. And the skopar only comes in M mount, right? So I'm getting it, I'll have to get another body...

I need to sell it all and buy from scratch as a system.

Well, a found camera is a different matter entirely.

The CV 35 f/1.4 is another option. That was going to be my 35 of choice, but the focus shift is a real issue.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 10, 2013 14:19 |  #47

More cross posting....

Figured I'd cross post this here...

I ended up with the V600, which, upon a lot of reading seemed to be the way to go for my needs and how much money I wanted to spend. This bird pic

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8543607576_3a77d24719.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …istopherbrian/8​543607576/  (external link)
International Bird of Mystery (external link) by Christopher Brian's Photography (external link), on Flickr

is my very first scan with the V600. It's from a 35mm negative using default settings on the Epson scanner software and minimal efforts in Lr4. I am mildly pleased with that result and confident I had made the right scanner choice. Until today. I scanned one of the 120 negatives that I had the lab do previously for comparison. This is their cheap scan which I think they run through a Coolscan 9000 on what I assume is a low-fi setting. I think I pay something like $6 for a 120 roll to be scanned. Yes, I know Burlington Camera is more expensive than options in the city that are immensely inconvenient to me and not worth the extra hassle. Anyway, I figured since the files I got from them were only a couple MBs and it is their budget scan that my V600 would be a bit closer than it is.

Here is the comparison:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8521591005_7dde08b922_c.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I'll let you guys figure out which is which, I think it's kind of obvious. Anyway, I'm hoping that when I get the time to follow the link and advice that TooManyShots gave here and here. I'm hoping that refining my process I'll be able to get a bit better. But how much? This result is kinda disappointing, I didn't think my baseline would be so low compared to a Coolscan on its lowest settings. :( The difference in dmax is apparent and I'm disappointed in the colour as well. Perhaps because it's darker the colours look muddier? Though there is a difference in detail, it's close enough to where I want and will probably be fine once I figure out the scanners sweet spot, get the anti reflective glass and figure out a better holder system. I'm more disappointed by the Dmax and colour difference. Are my expectations too high?

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 10, 2013 15:38 |  #48

I don't have time to fiddle with it now but a quick preliminary run with VueScan (external link) made an immediate difference in terms of colour, dynamic range and sharpness. The review here (external link) said it would. Definitely noticeably better. Relieved and pleased. It can output to raw too. Not sure if that's going to translate into some latitude or not. Will have to test that out later.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 10, 2013 19:47 |  #49

ions wrote in post #15698977 (external link)
I don't have time to fiddle with it now but a quick preliminary run with VueScan (external link) made an immediate difference in terms of colour, dynamic range and sharpness. The review here (external link) said it would. Definitely noticeably better. Relieved and pleased. It can output to raw too. Not sure if that's going to translate into some latitude or not. Will have to test that out later.

The ABSOLUTE best way to scan colour negatives with VueScan is as follows:

1. Scan as a Raw file, saved as a TIFF (not a DNG...this is very important).
2. Buy ColorPerfect (http://www.c-f-systems.com/Plug-ins.html (external link)), and install.
3. Open the linear TIFF in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and then open the ColorPerfect plugin
4. Select your film type, adjust the sliders to taste

This will give the absolute best colour rendition and allow you to extract the most from any negative.

Negative film has very low density, and doesn't really benefit all that much from multi exposure. That said, you can experiment to see if it makes a difference in the shadows for your specific film type and exposures.

ColorPerfect can also handle B&W negatives (with simulated paper grades for controlling contrast) and reversal film. It's not free, but it's absolutely worth the money if you're going to be doing a lot of scans.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digitizing 120 medium format slides/film...DSLR
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.