Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 02 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Playing around with milk drops

KILLERCLOWN
Cream of the Crop
5,555 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 06, 2013 07:02 |  #16

They look awesome!

sponsored links
Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 10, 2013 17:53 |  #17

What kind of shutter speed and aperture are you guys using? I'm having a hard time freezing movement (lack of light I guess).

saxman124
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 10, 2013 18:19 |  #18

laffe wrote in post #15682709 (external link)
Would it be possible for you to take a photo of your setup?
I love drop photos.

Yours are A W S O M E :D

Thanks!

Here is the very first setup I ever did. I have altered this, but it's still pretty much the same. In this setup I took three eye droppers, mounted them to the top, and spliced them together into one hose which was attached to the baster. I was able to trigger the drops and be at the camera at the same time. I no longer use that though.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://jasontyson.com/​WaterDropSettup.JPG
Click here to see our image rules.

Gear: 7D, 5D III, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma: 15 f2.8 Fish, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 150-500, 2x teleconverter. Gitzo GT2542L tripod w/ RRS BH-55. Gitzo GN5561T monopod w/ RRS LH-02 head. Several speedlights, modifiers, toys, bags, etc.

saxman124
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 10, 2013 18:22 |  #19

KillerClown... Thank you!

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #15699553 (external link)
What kind of shutter speed and aperture are you guys using? I'm having a hard time freezing movement (lack of light I guess).

I used 1/15 second, f/18 (shooting macro), and ISO 400. I vary the flash between 1/16th power and 1/4 power depending on position. With shutter speed, I will play around in the 1/15 to 1/60 range.

The flash is what freezes the action. Shutter speed doesn't really do it.

Gear: 7D, 5D III, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma: 15 f2.8 Fish, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 150-500, 2x teleconverter. Gitzo GT2542L tripod w/ RRS BH-55. Gitzo GN5561T monopod w/ RRS LH-02 head. Several speedlights, modifiers, toys, bags, etc.

laffe
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 11, 2013 08:10 |  #20

Thanks for the picture.
What do you use now for making the drops? Just an eyedropper?
Your images are awsome. I am so far from your level hehe

Pictures taken with my FIRST underwater camera Canon Ixus 100IS:
http://s915.photobucke​t.com/albums/ac353/kdk​_photo/ (external link)
Photos taken with my NEW Canon G12 and OEM underwater housing:
http://s915.photobucke​t.com …%20til%20Kriken​es%202011/ (external link)

saxman124
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 11, 2013 10:11 |  #21

laffe wrote in post #15701605 (external link)
Thanks for the picture.
What do you use now for making the drops? Just an eyedropper?
Your images are awsome. I am so far from your level hehe

I am still just using an eye dropper. I have looked into making a Mariotte Siphon. I actually bought a whole bunch of things from Home Depot to try, but the bottle I chose to use wouldn't work. I haven't gotten around to trying it again. I am relying on good old hand eye coordination. One hand on the eyedropper and one hand on the camera (mounted on a tripod).

The modifications I have made to the picture of my setup are minimal. I no longer use that baster. It was pushing too much air through and was hard to control. I did get some great shots with it, but for what I am really going for it won't work. Using an eye dropper, I can quickly release two drops and have the second drop collide with the first as the first is creating that tower like reaction from hitting the bowl of water/milk. The only other modification I have made is flash placement. I move the flash around based on what I am trying to go for and experiment with it. I haven't tried adding a second flash yet, but might soon.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,163 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 12, 2013 02:41 |  #22

Really interesting stuff, love the blue ones

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Violator
813 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2013 21:34 |  #23

Very cool shots. I haven't done any water drop shots in a long time. They are addicting.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=460544

Many MANY people have shared their set-ups & results.

My Flickrexternal link

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 15, 2013 08:25 |  #24

What color are the cows in Ohio?  :p

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

2,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
Playing around with milk drops
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.