Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 10, 2013 21:51 |  #331
bannedPermanent ban

Bakewell wrote in post #15700201 (external link)
Since I can get a 5D2 for less than a 6D...and there are no issues with the 5D2...why not get it?

I would definately get the 5D2 today used at $1200. Much better deal than a new 6D. With the difference in $$$, you can get yourself a nice used 25-105 or a nice new Sigma 35 1.4.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 10, 2013 21:53 |  #332
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15700217 (external link)
^Because it's in all ways that count a lesser camera than the 6D, especially in low light IQ.

I find it ridiculous that people are still whining about this... my 6D has zero issues with autofocusing, just because X camera comes with X feature doesn't mean all cameras should. It's like watching children fight over who's bag of skittles came with the most blue's...

But then the same can be said about the 6D being a lesser camera than the 5D3 and the 5D3 being a lesser camera than the 1Dx...so lets all go and buy the 1DX.

A 5D2 can be bought for $1200 today. Best deal going if one is wanting to get into a full frame system.

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 10, 2013 21:56 |  #333

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15700081 (external link)
It listed at $2700 at launch... and everyone complained for years that they wanted a cheaper FF body. Canon complied. The 6D was $2100, I believe, but quickly fell down to a more accommodating street price just a couple of months after launch.

the 6D is selling at $1880 here in indonesia and the 6D without GPS and wifi is $1800. The 5Dii never saw that price during its run. I think its an excellent deal and i dont think the D600 will be able to compete with the price as time goes on. it looks like the 7Dii is going to be in the same price range. Going to be interesting to see how sales go. I think its a winner for canon. Those who want the cross sensors can get the 5Diii. If you cant afford it then get the 7Dii when it comes out. If you really must have a FF sensor with more than one cross sensor for below $2000, change over to Nikon or wait for the 6Dii in a couple years. If youre not satisfied with the options, go and protest outside canon HQ.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 10, 2013 22:13 |  #334

Hogloff wrote in post #15700384 (external link)
But then the same can be said about the 6D being a lesser camera than the 5D3 and the 5D3 being a lesser camera than the 1Dx...so lets all go and buy the 1DX.

A 5D2 can be bought for $1200 today. Best deal going if one is wanting to get into a full frame system.

5D2 at that price + 24-105L would come in around $2200-2300, I just paid $2330 for a brand new 6D and 24-105L and the IQ is noticeably better in every kind of lighting compared to a 5DII, and it has a much better autofocus system in a sleeker, smaller and lighter package, so I think I made out just fine ;)

We get it, you don't like the 6D, that doesn't make it a bad camera. Given it's overwhelming popularity and that it's 4th on the list of most sold cameras on BHphoto.com, you're clearly in the minority. Instead of just bashing it mindlessly based on it's specs and shaking an angry fist at Canon, why don't you go give it a try?

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Gomer
96 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 10, 2013 22:15 |  #335

Hogloff wrote in post #15700377 (external link)
I would definately get the 5D2 today used at $1200. Much better deal than a new 6D. With the difference in $$$, you can get yourself a nice used 25-105 or a nice new Sigma 35 1.4.

use 5D2 + new 24-105L = 1200+1049= 2249 with 21 credit or $2228 net
new 6D + 24-105L kit = 2329 with 47 credit or $2282 net

Depends on how you define deal.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 10, 2013 22:24 as a reply to  @ Gomer's post |  #336

Not everyone needs a 24-105. However if you do im sure the 6d deal is quite good. But lets not forget that if one is willing to buy a used 5d2 they might also be willing to buy a used 24-105 which after a very quick search on potn sell section I see is $725 obo.

Either way this thread is more about the 6d not being given a better af system. Its still a good camera but it just could have been better. Same thing about the 5d2.

Edit: i see Hogloff was already pointing out that the saved money on a 5d2 could buy a used 24-105 or a new sigma 35...you guys confused me by calculating new prices lol

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 10, 2013 22:30 |  #337

boerewors wrote in post #15700394 (external link)
. If you really must have a FF sensor with more than one cross sensor for below $2000, change over to Nikon or wait for the 6Dii in a couple years. If youre not satisfied with the options, go and protest outside canon HQ.

We can protest where we want, free speech is fine with me.You don't have to tell people what to say or where to go (nikon), I could tell you ''if you are not happy,. don't answer this thread and all the other members.
Go read the other threads, this one is about AF only!

So we are allowed to say what we want, and we do have the crippled autofocus on the 5DmkII, that we bought at a high price and i'm not to crazy bout it.

Today in a world of competition, it would be nice to get the ''standard'' autofocus on a nice camera, it's not that it's cheap (6D), just more cross point!
Its not the end of the world.

This whole thread is about more cross point.
I'M not asking:Phase Detect : 61-point (up to 41 cross-type points); One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8, 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at f/4, and 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6.

I'm asking 11 to 19.
Not the end of the world, with a extra $200, without GPS,

Gomer
96 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 10, 2013 22:44 |  #338

Hope this is a fair question:
This whole thread is about the type and number of AF points. Are all cross, horizontal, and vertical points created equal? Could the cross in the 6D exceed all other camera crosses? Could the remaining hort/vert AF points exceed the performance of hor/vert points of other cameras?

bulldog-yota
183 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 10, 2013 22:52 |  #339

I don't think the 6D was aimed at the market where AF performance is a big deal. A good center point that is accurate is fine. No sure how well it tracks, etc, etc. This is similar to the 5D and 5DII. None of these were aimed at a market segment, so why should Canon add the AF features and cost, when they can add other features that they deem more importan to this market segment???

AF performance is about lot more than just accuracy on a single shot, especially a static object. Ability to quickly acquire focus in various conditions, ability to track subjects (especially with point expansion), deal with distraction, object that break the line of sight for short periods, etc, etc. In many cases the lenses used make a huge difference in AF performance. However a lot of this lost on many people who typically just like great IQ shots of mostly static situations.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 10, 2013 23:04 |  #340

bulldog-yota wrote in post #15700610 (external link)
AF performance is about lot more than just accuracy on a single shot, especially a static object. Ability to quickly acquire focus in various conditions, ability to track subjects (especially with point expansion), deal with distraction, object that break the line of sight for short periods, etc, etc. In many cases the lenses used make a huge difference in AF performance. However a lot of this lost on many people who typically just like great IQ shots of mostly static situations.

Good point! :D

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 10, 2013 23:05 |  #341

sega62 wrote in post #15694779 (external link)
Sure, BUT other cie did that without a problem.

My main point is

Why not give people what they need, without taking all their money.
Maybe a $150 more would have been a great thing.
Like I said, GPS, is not really my cup of tea, BUT fast autofocus I could use a lot more often.

I'm not trashing, I'm more in a wonder mode, why.........
In a near future, i'm sure they will regret that decision....

Because they aren't a charity. They area a for-profit business. They will ask whatever they think they can get for both cameras (6D, 5DIII). Then when sales slow, they can reduce the prices to capture the rest of people who wouldn't pay the higher price. They will most certainly not regret what they did. Both are selling like hotcakes and when it slows, they will reduce the price and keep selling. It sounds like what you really want is a 5DIII. So just wait till the price comes down.

From what I have heard, the 6D has an awesome center spot. Down to -3EV I believe.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 10, 2013 23:15 |  #342

kfreels wrote in post #15700649 (external link)
Because they aren't a charity. They area a for-profit business. They will ask whatever they think they can get for both cameras (6D, 5DIII). Then when sales slow, they can reduce the prices to capture the rest of people who wouldn't pay the higher price. They will most certainly not regret what they did. Both are selling like hotcakes and when it slows, they will reduce the price and keep selling. It sounds like what you really want is a 5DIII. So just wait till the price comes down.

From what I have heard, the 6D has an awesome center spot. Down to -3EV I believe.

Can you explain the EV thing.
I know what it is basycally, but what we 3 stops down?
Hope I got that right!
How does it work's!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 10, 2013 23:28 |  #343
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15700455 (external link)
5D2 at that price + 24-105L would come in around $2200-2300, I just paid $2330 for a brand new 6D and 24-105L and the IQ is noticeably better in every kind of lighting compared to a 5DII, and it has a much better autofocus system in a sleeker, smaller and lighter package, so I think I made out just fine ;)

We get it, you don't like the 6D, that doesn't make it a bad camera. Given it's overwhelming popularity and that it's 4th on the list of most sold cameras on BHphoto.com, you're clearly in the minority. Instead of just bashing it mindlessly based on it's specs and shaking an angry fist at Canon, why don't you go give it a try?

I have zero interest in purchasing a 6d. For my style of photography, landscapes mainly and some events, I don't see any improvements in the final photographs. Yeh it's new and has some bells and whistles, but will I see any difference when I look at my prints...no. That is the bottom line.

As far as a much better AF system, I don't think so. Not from what I tried...it is still a one hit wonder in challenging light and for my landscapes I just use liveview...so no improvements for my shooting. Now if the outer points actually were reliable for events, then that would be something, but they failed my AF test.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 10, 2013 23:30 |  #344
bannedPermanent ban

Gomer wrote in post #15700467 (external link)
use 5D2 + new 24-105L = 1200+1049= 2249 with 21 credit or $2228 net
new 6D + 24-105L kit = 2329 with 47 credit or $2282 net

Depends on how you define deal.

I have seen 5d2 for $1200 and plenty of 24-105 go for $700 so I can get a very nice setup for $1900.

Better yet a 5d2 plus a Sigma 35mm for less than $2100...ummm.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 10, 2013 23:36 |  #345

Hogloff wrote in post #15700732 (external link)
I have seen 5d2 for $1200 and plenty of 24-105 go for $700 so I can get a very nice setup for $1900.

Better yet a 5d2 plus a Sigma 35mm for less than $2100...ummm.

Again, we get it, you don't like the 6D, but the pictures don't lie, it's better than the 5DII. You said it yourself, "for your needs" it isn't necessary to make the change, but if you're into long exposures, low light shooting or higher DR shooting then the 6D is most definitely an upgrade.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

48,303 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.