Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sad day at Amazon :(

patrick023
526 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 10, 2013 13:45 |  #31

I've noticed in KS is that items not sold by Amazon itself but fulfilled by them still don't get charged tax. One nice thing about living so close to a warehouse is that I almost always get my orders the next day with their free shipping option, even before I had Prime!

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2013 14:19 as a reply to  @ post 15697273 |  #32

"Sales" tax is a misnomer. It's actually called Usage Tax and was meant to cover the costs of maintaining the infrastructure used by retailers. That's why retailers with no presence in a state were exempt; they don't use the infrastructure. So it's not really unfair to B&M stores because the B&M stores *are* using the state's infrastructure.

That said, it does put the B&M stores at a disadvantage. But the way the Usage Tax is currently written makes it nearly impossible for states to charge tax on out-of-state purchases if the vendor has no presence in the state.

I think what we'll end up seeing is a national "sales" tax much like the Europeans have. It's called VAT (Value Added Tax). That tax will be applied universally in place of state-based sales taxes. But bringing such a tax into existence is political suicide for most politicians, so it won't happen until politically powerful retailers like Walmart can make it more damaging to pols to not endorse such a tax.

Amazon purchases are being taxed in more states now because Amazon wants to move to same-day delivery. In order to do that they need warehouses in every state, so they're buying up places now. That's why MA is about to start charging tax on Amazon purchases; Amazon just bought out a company there. Angry MA residents are all pointing fingers at Gov. Deval Patrick and he himself is willing to accept the credit for "bringing in new revenue," but he actually had little to do with it. It's simply the law as it's written.

Mark J.
Gear

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 10, 2013 14:25 |  #33

I've been paying sales tax on Amazon stuff for years, here in KY. The deal was, before, if there is a distribution center in your state the online customers of that state were treated just like customers in a brick and mortar store, hence, sales taxes. Amazon has a center in Lexington, KY. Amazon recently put in a distribution center in Phx so I think that's why AZ people are taxed. It's only a matter of time before nobody gets a break!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2013 14:34 |  #34

Yep, I love it when I order from Amazon and it ships from KY. I get it the next day usually. I won't love it so much when things start shipping from IL. But with the corporate tax so high here in IL, I'll be surprised if Amazon establishes a presence here anytime soon.

Mark J.
Gear

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 10, 2013 15:04 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #35

im not angry...im from mass...i enjoy watching roads being fixed, bridges being built, and construction workers working...a tax on consumption doesn't bother me one bit, and it's good for the state. they're actually talking about lowering it here in mass anyway. dont get me wrong there are things about how the government works that i dont like, but sales tax isn't something im going to nitpick over that's ruining my life. mass has a lot going for it, and partly because its citizens pay good money to fund the state.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2013 19:56 |  #36

t3ichef wrote in post #15698819 (external link)
im not angry...im from mass...i enjoy watching roads being fixed, bridges being built, and construction workers working...a tax on consumption doesn't bother me one bit, and it's good for the state. they're actually talking about lowering it here in mass anyway. dont get me wrong there are things about how the government works that i dont like, but sales tax isn't something im going to nitpick over that's ruining my life. mass has a lot going for it, and partly because its citizens pay good money to fund the state.

Agreed. The only beef I had with MA when I lived there was the outrageous cost of housing. Before Wifey ad I got married we each had 1 bdrm apts and were paying $1000/mo each for a so-so complex in Bridgewater. The rent was killing us. We pay just slightly more than $1000/mo now for a large house on an acre of land here in IL. Of course here we're dealing with the worst state gov't in existence, so it's all relative.

Someone gave me a $50 gift card for Best Buy and today I stopped in to check on SD cards. They wanted $75 for a 16GB UHS-1 card (95MB/s). Amazon wants $67 for the 32GB UHS-1 (95MB/s) card. So even if Amazon starts charging sales tax here, I'll still be buying from them or some other online retailer.

Mark J.
Gear

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 10, 2013 21:20 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #37

best buy will price match amazon just so you know. i buy all my electronics at best buy now because of their 18 month financing and their pricematching policy. recently bought a 70-200 f4l from them for the amazon price and got 0% financing for a year and a half...can't beat that.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 10, 2013 21:23 |  #38

pbelarge wrote in post #15696086 (external link)
We have been paying the tax in NY for years, regardless of where we purchase online.

Not entirely true. Plenty of online retailers still don't charge tax. Newegg is one example.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2013 21:35 |  #39

t3ichef wrote in post #15700282 (external link)
best buy will price match amazon just so you know. i buy all my electronics at best buy now because of their 18 month financing and their pricematching policy. recently bought a 70-200 f4l from them for the amazon price and got 0% financing for a year and a half...can't beat that.

Didn't know that. The weird thing is, Best Buy online has prices similar to Amazon, yet they charge waaaay more for the same item in store. That said, Best Buy online doesn't actually have any 32GB or 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro cards (95MB/s) available for shipping and only 16GB cards available for in-store pickup at selected locations.

Mark J.
Gear

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 10, 2013 22:15 |  #40

tgara wrote in post #15696470 (external link)
It's coming in August for CT residents.

No surprise there, especially when NY was judged to be one of the worst run states in the country. With all the tax burdens and budget messes in NY, it's a mystery to me why any sane person lives there. Actually, I could say that about a lot of states including my home state of CA and my current residence in CT.

I've been to California, beautiful place. Connecticut is rather nice too, my sister has a home there. I've lived on Long Island my whole life. It's a really nice place to live. I am very sane and I look forward to the day I leave NY state for good. The bloated state and local governments suck the life out of us. My darn property taxes on a home I paid 300K for are now 12K a year and they go up about $800 each year. Our state income taxes are some of the highest in the country. The gas tax is also one of the highest. We're held hostage by toll roads. A three hour drive into Philadelphia from here costs me almost $50 in tolls. Now, a new gun law made a criminal out of me overnight. I've had enough, they've taken enough.

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 10, 2013 22:17 |  #41

bigcountry wrote in post #15696912 (external link)
many states are passing legislation to get money from big online sites such as amazon. every state that collects sales tax will eventually follow, why wouldn't they?

eventually you'll be paying sales tax on all online purchases. it may take 10 years, but don't fool yourself it is coming.

You are so right. Buy.com is also collecting sales tax in some states just as Amazon does.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2013 07:25 |  #42

aside from t3ichef and M_Six who agree with the tax, I didn't know everyone else in this thread was a Republican.

Or are you just saying "paying your fair share" only applies to someone else? ;)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 11, 2013 08:25 |  #43

pbelarge wrote in post #15696086 (external link)
We have been paying the tax in NY for years, regardless of where we purchase online.

That's how it is in Illinois as well. If you don't pay it up front then you pay it come tax time.

XBAMBOBEE
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 11, 2013 08:41 |  #44

t3ichef wrote in post #15700282 (external link)

But you have to remember that Best Buy has tax included on top of the price match.
Therefore, you are really not getting a price match as Amazon offers to those states that don't have tax. And the downside with Best Buy is that it does not carry all the L lenses. For instance it does not have the 70-200 F2.8 MK II in their product inventory and many other lenses.

2 Legit 2 Quit

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 11, 2013 08:56 as a reply to  @ XBAMBOBEE's post |  #45

what do you mean by your first statement? if you're going to buy from amazon and it turns out they're going to charge you tax, most people in this thread seem to have been saying they'd seek an alternative...if your state doesn't have sales tax, NH for instance...then you can get it shipped to you from anywhere, amazon, best buy...wherever, and not pay sales tax. what i like about best buy is you get 4% rewards points, and 18 month financing. plus it supports a brick and mortar store where hourly people have jobs.

its true they dont have "everything", but they have a lot...it's a good alternative option for me, thats all.

sponsored links

7,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sad day at Amazon :(
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.