Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 10, 2013 23:44 as a reply to  @ post 15700455 |  #346

We get it, you dont like the 6D, that doesnt make it a bad camera. Given its overwhelming popularity and that its 4th on the list of most sold cameras on BHphoto.com, youre clearly in the minority. Instead of just bashing it mindlessly based on its specs and shaking an angry fist at Canon, why dont you go give it a try?[/QUOTE
wrote:

=
We get it, you don't like the 6D, that doesn't make it a bad camera. Given it's overwhelming popularity and that it's 4th on the list of most sold cameras on BHphoto.com, you're clearly in the minority. Instead of just bashing it mindlessly based on it's specs and shaking an angry fist at Canon, why don't you go give it a try?

I'm very happy its a hit, when it comes to B&H, not sure its the same around the whole world, in fact i've been to places where its only Nikon, wich is really weird when you noticed that!Still, people are friendly!

I was more concern about how people should behave over here, it started with some bad remarks, and ended up in some kind of dual between members.

We are only talking AUTOFOCUS here, and we are all happy bout Canon's product or we would'nt spent $5000 just for fun, I took the time to look at my options before buying the 5DmkII, now, 4 years later, I'm not sure about the 6D AF system, well i'm sure its fine, I just wished, and a lot of people on the web are also pointing out that a little more then a center cross would have been the right thing to do.

There is a big difference when a cie start's to make camera for the money whitout taking the time to see what people need!
Its not a easy thing to see 4 years ahead when you make a product.
But the lesson we have with the 5dmkII was that we surely needed a little more from the AF and DR.

that my point, maybe not yours, and thats fine with me!:D
We are here to talk about photography in general, and a little more!

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 10, 2013 23:51 |  #347
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15700751 (external link)
Again, we get it, you don't like the 6D, but the pictures don't lie, it's better than the 5DII. You said it yourself, "for your needs" it isn't necessary to make the change, but if you're into long exposures, low light shooting or higher DR shooting then the 6D is most definitely an upgrade.

I have not seen any comparison with regards to DR between the 5d2 and 6d. Can you post a link. That might tweak my interest.

And of course I am only concerned with my needs...just like you are only concerned with your needs. Isn't that obvious.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 11, 2013 00:09 |  #348

If I would have to choose between a 5D2 and 6D, it would be the easiest decision in my life. 6D without a doubt. Slightly better sensor (take a look at dxomark) and built-in WiFi. The price difference when buying new (body only) over here in Belgium is exactly 60 euro. It's wrong to assume the 5D2 is much cheaper, since a lot of people do not want to buy second hand.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,670 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 11, 2013 00:22 |  #349

I'm pretty sure both of these do, but I can't remember for sure and I'm sure as heck not reading through/watching it all again

http://6dcamera.com …-why-comparison-tutorial/ (external link)
http://www.ronmartblog​.com …d-vs-5d-mark-iii-and.html (external link)

Anyway, my point is that I constantly see you on here belittling the 6D among several other users yet you never seem to give real world shooting proof to back yourself up.

I do extensive research before buying any product (to the point that I annoy anyone who knows me, sitting at the store for an hour on my phone choosing which toaster oven to buy even lol) and I was sold on the 5Dmk2 before the 6D came out.

I scoffed at it's specs when I saw them too, then I read review after review talking of how great the camera was, so I continued researching. Then I played with the 6D at a Best Buy for at least an hour browsing the menus, test shooting around the store (one of the sales associates took it out of a case for me and basically chaperoned me while I shot with it) and I loved just about everything about it compared to my father's 5DII. I also took those files home on my SD card and saw just how much I could push those RAW files and I was completely sold.

I just don't get why people insist on an older and inferior model to an "entry" level "better" camera...

I'm sorry to go off topic again and cary this off topic rant, but back on the topic, I think the 6D's AF works fine. Everyone wants more for less, but do we NEED it? I personally don't think so, I've had no issues tracking anything with my 6D, granted I've only had it for a few days (sent it back to best buy to order it as a kit) but I find it's AF in every way better then that of my T2i and I've never had an issue really with that camera either...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 11, 2013 00:37 |  #350

When I started to photograph there were no autofocus (AF) cameras, there were only manual focus (MF) cameras. Because of that the 11 AF-points were easy to get over, those 11 and one cross-type are enough for me. The very sensitive centre point is the best feature in 6D and you cannot get it to any other Canon camera these days. Maybe it will exist on the 7D Mk II, but it is an APS-C.

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2013 00:43 |  #351

This thread hasn't died yet?

I wish the 6D had all cross type AF points. I feel like it is more of a crossgrade from the 60D because it upgrades the sensor, but dumbs down a few other things. But that's MY opinion and I just won't buy it. No use talking in circles for 90 years, just buy it or don't.

I honestly feel like we are arguing about taste and preference at this point. We might as well be arguing if Salmon is tasty or not. You really going to convince someone who doesn't like fish that Salmon is yummy? And vice versa. Are we going to convince someone who is getting good results with a 6D that the camera is subpar? Are we going to convince someone utilizing a higher end AF system right now that they don't need it? NO!

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 11, 2013 04:14 |  #352

I think someone on this thread said the 6D's sensor or one aspect of its centre AF has done better in some tests or reviews than the corresponding part on the 5D3!
Did I misread that?
If not is that likely, based on the 5D3s exceptional AF system ( both on paper and every single review I've ever seen) and the price difference, market positioning.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 11, 2013 04:38 |  #353

Submariner wrote in post #15701213 (external link)
I think someone on this thread said the 6D's sensor or one aspect of its centre AF has done better in some tests or reviews than the corresponding part on the 5D3!
Did I misread that?
If not is that likely, based on the 5D3s exceptional AF system ( both on paper and every single review I've ever seen) and the price difference, market positioning.

The only point that I have read about the 6D's AF besting the 5D3 is in low light sensitivity. The 6D focuses down to -3EV and the 5D3 down to -2EV.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

Trevor_P
65 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 11, 2013 05:21 |  #354

Buy the tool to do the job. 6D & 5DII both known for their AF shortcomings. Some people are happy enough to go ahead knowing this. 5D3 - Great AF - If you want to ~ guarantee to capture fast/eratic moving stuff then this is the one to go for. Costs too much? Shame, then you'll have to compromise somewhere.
If they sold the 5D3 at 6D prices imagine what that'd do to 1DX sales.

5D mark 3, 5D mark 2, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 17-40L, 135L

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 05:37 |  #355

jocau wrote in post #15700849 (external link)
If I would have to choose between a 5D2 and 6D, it would be the easiest decision in my life. 6D without a doubt. Slightly better sensor (take a look at dxomark) and built-in WiFi. The price difference when buying new (body only) over here in Belgium is exactly 60 euro. It's wrong to assume the 5D2 is much cheaper, since a lot of people do not want to buy second hand.

I saw your post about choosing between the 6d and the 5dmkiii, did you made choice yet?

clacson wrote in post #15700889 (external link)
When I started to photograph there were no autofocus (AF) cameras, there were only manual focus (MF) cameras. Because of that the 11 AF-points were easy to get over, those 11 and one cross-type are enough for me. The very sensitive centre point is the best feature in 6D and you cannot get it to any other Canon camera these days. Maybe it will exist on the 7D Mk II, but it is an APS-C.

There are some rangefinder that are fun to focus manually, like the fujifilm,leica...
I don't mind shooting manually, when you got the time it's cool.
What I hate is recomposing the frame so often,maybe I've gone lazy;)

tkbslc wrote in post #15700901 (external link)
This thread hasn't died yet?

I wish the 6D had all cross type AF points. I feel like it is more of a crossgrade from the 60D because it upgrades the sensor, but dumbs down a few other things. But that's MY opinion and I just won't buy it. No use talking in circles for 90 years, just buy it or don't.

I honestly feel like we are arguing about taste and preference at this point. We might as well be arguing if Salmon is tasty or not. You really going to convince someone who doesn't like fish that Salmon is yummy? And vice versa. Are we going to convince someone who is getting good results with a 6D that the camera is subpar? Are we going to convince someone utilizing a higher end AF system right now that they don't need it? NO!

Nah, the point is nuance, it's more like salt and pepper on your salmon.
I see this complaint of mine as a techno question,and lots of people who talks bout camera on the Web,are thinking the same thing, I would love to get the new 7D, if only the IQ would be better than the one selling now, soon we will find out.
If camera were lighter I would carry 2 on my trip, but it's impossible to walk with a ton, of equipment, but you just gave me an idea.I'll have my girlfriend to carry the new model coming soon, ;)
The thread had not died yet, soon I hope.

Submariner wrote in post #15701213 (external link)
Did I misread that?

Yes the 5d3 has exceptional focus, the 7D too, in my book.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 05:41 |  #356

Trevor_P wrote in post #15701268 (external link)
Buy the tool to do the job. 6D & 5DII both known for their AF shortcomings. Some people are happy enough to go ahead knowing this. 5D3 - Great AF - If you want to ~ guarantee to capture fast/eratic moving stuff then this is the one to go for. Costs too much? Shame, then you'll have to compromise somewhere.
If they sold the 5D3 at 6D prices imagine what that'd do to 1DX sales.

You are right on this,but Nikon does it with the D600 and the D800,but I don't like those cameras, I'm use to Canon after all those years.They are great all around.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 11, 2013 06:12 |  #357

DBNissan wrote in post #15701232 (external link)
The only point that I have read about the 6D's AF besting the 5D3 is in low light sensitivity. The 6D focuses down to -3EV and the 5D3 down to -2EV.

Thanks, so I can shoot in lower light by 1 EV. With the 6D - thanks Dan
Always found it difficult to work out the relationship between EV and F stop.
Just tried it in a room at EV 1.9 (as per my light meter) thats a pretty dark room.
My light meter a Sekonic L308S doesn't even register below 0 EV
So -2 EV must be really very dark.
Nice to see Canon improving specs, but thats not so important to my type of photography .
But to others I appreciate it might be a question of "got the shot or failed!"

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

mgk2
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 11, 2013 06:29 |  #358
bannedPermanent ban

Submariner wrote in post #15701348 (external link)
My light meter a Sekonic L308S doesn't even register below 0 EV
So -2 EV must be really very dark.
Nice to see Canon improving specs, but thats not so important to my type of photography .
But to others I appreciate it might be a question of "got the shot or failed!"

I question the actual usefuless of -3EV...

Like you said, if -2 is extremely dark and that's what 5D3 can achieve, so what if you can focus on something even darker with the 6D?

Being able to focus is one thing, whether or not the result is actually useful is another. I would imagine one needs to use ISO25600-ISO51200 to even get a proper exposed shot, I mean what's the use of that??? And how many 6D owners will actually be benefited from it?

JohnWildgoose
50 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 11, 2013 06:48 |  #359

I had the 5D2 and struggled massively to get more than 60% of the shots sharp with most of my primes (24 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.8 and 135 f2) wide open. I'd say it was bad 50%, I was bad 10%. So I was afraid to get the 85 1.2 (I shoot everything wide open as much as possible). I got my hands on the 3 at a trade show and was blown away by how much they had improved the AF. Ordered two. Hugely happy. Sharp rate is so good I no longer check focus these days unless I am down to 15th of a second or so. I am still 10% soft due to user error(!),or maybe subject movement. I'm that confident I got the 200 f2. Still always sharp.

The 6D is a camera I wanted to carry around with me. It has a host of features that respect its price point very well. Yep, the AF is not as good as the 5D3, but you cannot spend the money on a Toyota and expect it to drive like a Lexus (if I can use the analogy). There are some great features on the 6D and I am very happy with it, there might not be so many focus points, but they seem accurate and reasonably quick. I just think 'I paid this much, I have this much expectation' which is of course, less than the 5D3.

www.johnwildgoose.com (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 11, 2013 07:23 |  #360

sega62 wrote in post #15701300 (external link)
I saw your post about choosing between the 6d and the 5dmkiii, did you made choice yet?

Nope haven't made a decision yet. But I'm heavily leaning towards the 5D3 while it was completely the other way around a few months ago. The 6D has some nice things that I want e.g. slightly better image quality than the 5D3, WiFi (Remote shooting using my iPhone, although I have already ordered a CamRanger for that) and the in-camera RAW to JPEG conversion seems nice too. I'm just having a hard time justifying the price of the 5D3 and I'm waiting for a pricedrop. Justifying the 6D is a lot easier, but still expensive. I'm just afraid that I won't be satisfied if I decide to go with the 6D (I'm a great fan of the rule-of-thirds and large apertures which brings the focus&recompose method to its knees). I also think it's better to buy something really expensive and be happy with it than buying something expensive and not being satisfied with it. Oh well, for now I ain't buying any camera. Not until I made up my mind...

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links

48,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.