Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Took my 70-200 F4 to a wedding

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 10, 2013 10:30 |  #31

TSchrief wrote in post #15697837 (external link)
.. It is the same look most people over 40 give a 15 year-old with six inches of underwear showing.

So, do people under 40 look at the same kid and say "WOW!! that guy us ultra cool." :):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 10, 2013 10:36 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #15697946 (external link)
So, do people under 40 look at the same kid and say "WOW!! that guy us ultra cool." :):)

I don't know. Its been so long since I was under 40 that I can't remember. If so, that is one of the blessings of getting old.

Gear List

gjl711
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 10, 2013 10:49 |  #33

TSchrief wrote in post #15697961 (external link)
I don't know. Its been so long since I was under 40 that I can't remember. If so, that is one of the blessings of getting old.

I guess when I was a kid it was long hair and bell bottoms. :) Never could figure out why hair length would anger some so intensely.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 10, 2013 11:05 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #15698019 (external link)
I guess when I was a kid it was long hair and bell bottoms. :) Never could figure out why hair length would anger some so intensely.

It seems we must be about the same age.

Gear List

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,793 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 10, 2013 11:17 |  #35

sgtbueno wrote in post #15696300 (external link)
Maybe because is a big white long lens, you're not working, that's the reason why they sell small compact cameras and 8 megapixels cellphones, but it must be just me.

Yes it's only you. I've been invited to quite a lot of weddings as a guest and I believe some of those are because the bride knows in advance that I take my cameras everywhere.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking good equipment along with you as long as you're staying out of the way of the hired photographer. If the bride and groom don't care then why should you? As for if the hired photographer doesn't like it then that's their problem if they don't have a contract stating no guests with pro equipment are allowed.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 10, 2013 14:22 |  #36

gadgeteer wrote in post #15697566 (external link)
If you rock up with your big camera, big lenses and flash then you send the message that their day is merely a photo opportunity for you to improve your portfolio.

I could not DISAGREE more! Once again POTN has seemed to skew another one of their members into believing that people only buy dslr equipment for monetary gain. The VAST majority of people in the world with dslr's do NOT have any intentions of ever making 1 cent from their hobby. POTN has a larger than normal percentage of money-making photographers due to the nature of this forum. Please please remember that just because somebody has a 70-200 it does not mean that they are trying to advance their photography careers... they just want nice photos.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

KalebA
469 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 10, 2013 14:29 |  #37

Man buys nice camera, man can not use nice camera where he would like

Something seems wrong about this

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 10, 2013 14:38 |  #38

KalebA wrote in post #15698680 (external link)
Man buys nice camera, man can not use nice camera where he would like

Something seems wrong about this

haha, agreed. I don't see a problem with bringing your camera, even with a big lens - I bring my camera almost everywhere, because I love shooting. Just because I'm going to a wedding that means I'm not allowed to do what I love to do? Like everyone said, stay out of the paid photographer's way, and you're good to go. Also, just because you bring a camera, doesn't meant that's what you'll be doing the entire time.

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 10, 2013 14:44 |  #39

if the 70-200 was only 2 inches long instead of 12, would that make a difference to those who said he shouldn't have brought it?

In otherwords; is it the physical size of the lens, is it what the lens can do, or is it what the lens "stands for" (for lack of a better word)?

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

gjl711
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 10, 2013 15:12 |  #40

ewheeler20 wrote in post #15698729 (external link)
.. or is it what the lens "stands for" (for lack of a better word)?

My guess, but then I have no problem taking it. :)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 10, 2013 16:18 |  #41

I brought my 70-200 to a wedding a couple of years ago. (f4 IS Not the 2.8) The wedding photographer eyeballed me right away and came over and struck up a conversation. I still remember his first words:

Wow, you have your long end covered WAY better then me".

They shot the whole event with an 85 1.8.

Tiller
523 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 10, 2013 19:16 |  #42

If I was the man getting married, I might be a little wary of a stranger with a large white lens taking pictures of me. If its a friend, its all good. But if I didn't know you, and saw you in the bushes taking pictures of me and my wife, I might be a little weirded out.

Good shots though! Like #3

Canon 60D|Tamron 90mm 52B|Canon 50 1.8|Canon 85 1.8|Yongnuo YN-568ex|Manfrotto 055XProb with 498RC2|Fuji AX Multi Program with 50 1.9 and 135 2.8|Mamiya 645 Pro with 85 2.5|

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 10, 2013 19:38 as a reply to  @ Tiller's post |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

My daughter is getting married in Boston at the end of March. Me in a tux with my 6D/70-200 strapped to my hand the entire time....thinking about my 24-70 in a Lowepro case strapped to my belt.

Dave

gadgeteer
44 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 10, 2013 19:55 |  #44

ewheeler20 wrote in post #15698661 (external link)
The VAST majority of people in the world with dslr's do NOT have any intentions of ever making 1 cent from their hobby.

I agree but and also the vast majority will never buy such a big lens. OK so you may not want to make money from the 'hobby' but I still believe standing there with your big white lens sends out the wrong signals to all those around you. At the very best you are the proverbial uncle Bob.

Wedding Photographer Nottingham & Derby - Martin Cheung (external link)

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 11, 2013 01:44 |  #45

:-) I had my entire gear bag in the car :-) and selected the 7-200 F4, because of its size and reach - the objective was to be in the back ground. My view on this was that a shorter lens would not allow me to stay out of the way that much. I don't like point and shoots, because I battle to get good quality.

The official photographer had a 6D and a 5D MK II and he also had his 70-200 F4 out for a short while during the reception. I noticed the 24-70 F2.8 for most of his work.

One thing I did notice from the 70-200 F4 is that you stand further back for sure :-) on a 1.6 crop, but the ability to zoom into a moment is nice. No walking backwards and forwards the whole time.

Some other guests had 60Ds with kit lenses.

Soft focus edit - the bride and groom moved to a different setting and shared a moment under a set of trees. The mother of the bride is very thank full for the photographs and said I managed to capture the wedding from a different perspective.

I also didn't over do it (or hope so), by looking like a second photographer - took a few shots and packed it away.

DRH

sponsored links

20,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Took my 70-200 F4 to a wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.