Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 08:05 |  #361

JohnWildgoose wrote in post #15701406 (external link)
I had the 5D2 and struggled massively to get more than 60% of the shots sharp with most of my primes (24 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.8 and 135 f2) wide open. I'd say it was bad 50%, I was bad 10%. So I was afraid to get the 85 1.2 (I shoot everything wide open as much as possible). I got my hands on the 3 at a trade show and was blown away by how much they had improved the AF. Ordered two. Hugely happy. Sharp rate is so good I no longer check focus these days unless I am down to 15th of a second or so. I am still 10% soft due to user error(!),or maybe subject movement. I'm that confident I got the 200 f2. Still always sharp.

The 6D is a camera I wanted to carry around with me. It has a host of features that respect its price point very well. Yep, the AF is not as good as the 5D3, but you cannot spend the money on a Toyota and expect it to drive like a Lexus (if I can use the analogy). There are some great features on the 6D and I am very happy with it, there might not be so many focus points, but they seem accurate and reasonably quick. I just think 'I paid this much, I have this much expectation' which is of course, less than the 5D3.

Hi John,
You are right about everything, but if you look at the Nikon D600,.They got a lot more AF points, for the same price.

Also don't you find it funny, that both cie got a new FF camera for $2000?
Also as you can see the price as drop significantly for a FF, which is great for us the consumers.

sponsored links
gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2013 08:07 |  #362

clacson wrote in post #15700889 (external link)
When I started to photograph there were no autofocus (AF) cameras, there were only manual focus (MF) cameras. Because of that the 11 AF-points were easy to get over, those 11 and one cross-type are enough for me. The very sensitive centre point is the best feature in 6D and you cannot get it to any other Canon camera these days. Maybe it will exist on the 7D Mk II, but it is an APS-C.

My first camera was a Nikon FM . . . followed by a Nikon FE and FE2. I was just tickled to have a built in light meter. Then I got a Leica M6TTL . . . with another built in light meter. Now folks complain because the camera has only 11 AF-points. :shock:

I smile every time I pick up my 6D because it has a sensitive center point focus. You see, at my age my eyes aren't what they used to be so I am happy to let the camera focus for me.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 08:09 |  #363

jocau wrote in post #15701467 (external link)
Nope haven't made a decision yet. But I'm heavily leaning towards the 5D3 while it was completely the other way around a few months ago. The 6D has some nice things that I want e.g. slightly better image quality than the 5D3, WiFi (Remote shooting using my iPhone, although I have already ordered a CamRanger for that) and the in-camera RAW to JPEG conversion seems nice too. I'm just having a hard time justifying the price of the 5D3 and I'm waiting for a pricedrop. Justifying the 6D is a lot easier, but still expensive. I'm just afraid that I won't be satisfied if I decide to go with the 6D (I'm a great fan of the rule-of-thirds and large apertures which brings the focus&recompose method to its knees). I also think it's better to buy something really expensive and be happy with it than buying something expensive and not being satisfied with it. Oh well, for now I ain't buying any camera. Not until I made up my mind...

I understand you clearly on this matter, specially about recomposition, that is why I,ll wait for the right occasion too.
I love my 5Dmkii, but the 5D3 is a monster

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 08:15 |  #364

gfspencer wrote in post #15701595 (external link)
My first camera was a Nikon FM . . . followed by a Nikon FE and FE2. I was just tickled to have a built in light meter. Then I got a Leica M6TTL . . . with another built in light meter. Now folks complain because the camera has only 11 AF-points. :shock:

I smile every time I pick up my 6D because it has a sensitive center point focus. You see, at my age my eyes aren't what they used to be so I am happy to let the camera focus for me.

Not complaining sir, just want more AF points that rocks, if I want to shoot manual I do, but lots of time I recompose because of the poor af.and often a scene happens quickly, it's always good to have a great autofocus,for my kind of pic style.
If you like old cameraa its fine with me, I like the new ones a look lot more.

casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 11, 2013 08:29 |  #365

sega62 wrote in post #15701616 (external link)
Not complaining sir, just want more AF points that rocks, if I want to shoot manual I do, but lots of time I recompose because of the poor af.and often a scene happens quickly, it's always good to have a great autofocus,for my kind of pic style.
If you like old cameraa its fine with me, I like the new ones a look lot more.

So this whole rant has a very simple solution: buy a 5D3 or 1Dx...or get the Nikon

You want a 5D3 for the price of a 6D, not gonna happen. Canon has your camera, you just don't want to pay for it.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 11, 2013 08:32 |  #366

sega62 wrote in post #15700680 (external link)
Can you explain the EV thing.
I know what it is basycally, but what we 3 stops down?
Hope I got that right!
How does it work's!

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Exposure_value (external link)

Table 2. Exposure values (ISO 100 speed) for various lighting conditions[3]
Lighting Condition EV100
Daylight
Light sand or snow in full or slightly hazy sunlight (distinct shadows)a 16
Typical scene in full or slightly hazy sunlight (distinct shadows)a, b 15
Typical scene in hazy sunlight (soft shadows) 14
Typical scene, cloudy bright (no shadows) 13
Typical scene, heavy overcast 12
Areas in open shade, clear sunlight 12
Outdoor, Natural light
Rainbows
Clear sky background 15
Cloudy sky background 14
Sunsets and skylines
Just before sunset 12–14
At sunset 12
Just after sunset 9–11
The Moon,c altitude > 40°
Full 15
Gibbous 14
Quarter 13
Crescent 12
Moonlight, Moon altitude > 40°
Full −3 to −2
Gibbous −4
Quarter −6
Aurora borealis and australis
Bright −4 to −3
Medium −6 to −5
Outdoor, Artificial Light
Neon and other bright signs 9–10
Night sports 9
Fires and burning buildings 9
Bright street scenes 8
Night street scenes and window displays 7–8
Night vehicle traffic 5
Fairs and amusement parks 7
Christmas tree lights 4–5
Floodlit buildings, monuments, and fountains 3–5
Distant views of lighted buildings 2
Indoor, Artificial Light
Galleries 8–11
Sports events, stage shows, and the like 8–9
Circuses, floodlit 8
Ice shows, floodlit 9
Offices and work areas 7–8
Home interiors 5–7

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2013 08:39 |  #367

sega62 wrote in post #15701616 (external link)
It's always good to have a great autofocus,for my kind of pic style.
If you like old camera its fine with me, I like the new ones a look lot more.

Exactly! That's what I've been saying. If your style is to shoot fast go for a 5DIII or a 7D. If I go to an F-1 race I take the 7D. If I'm trying to shoot a bird in the back yard I use the 7D. If I want to shoot black and white I pick up my old M8. (An M8 without the UV filters makes great black and white photos.) Choose and use a camera for it's strengths.

As far as I can tell no one has come out with a camera that will do everything exceptionally well so you have to pick a camera that meets your needs. No one has asked me but if someone did I would tell him/her to pick the camera (and the lenses) that fit your style of shooting.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 08:59 |  #368

kfreels wrote in post #15701663 (external link)
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Exposure_value (external link)

Table 2. Exposure values (ISO 100 speed) for various lighting conditions[3]
Lighting Condition EV100
Daylight
Light sand or snow in full or slightly hazy sunlight (distinct shadows)a 16
Typical scene in full or slightly hazy sunlight (distinct shadows)a, b 15
Typical scene in hazy sunlight (soft shadows) 14
Typical scene, cloudy bright (no shadows) 13
Typical scene, heavy overcast 12
Areas in open shade, clear sunlight 12
Outdoor, Natural light
Rainbows
Clear sky background 15
Cloudy sky background 14
Sunsets and skylines
Just before sunset 12–14
At sunset 12
Just after sunset 9–11
The Moon,c altitude > 40°
Full 15
Gibbous 14
Quarter 13
Crescent 12
Moonlight, Moon altitude > 40°
Full −3 to −2
Gibbous −4
Quarter −6
Aurora borealis and australis
Bright −4 to −3
Medium −6 to −5
Outdoor, Artificial Light
Neon and other bright signs 9–10
Night sports 9
Fires and burning buildings 9
Bright street scenes 8
Night street scenes and window displays 7–8
Night vehicle traffic 5
Fairs and amusement parks 7
Floodlit buildings, monuments, and fountains 3–5
Distant views of lighted buildings 2
Indoor, Artificial Light
Galleries 8–11
Sports events, stage shows, and the like 8–9
Circuses, floodlit 8
Ice shows, floodlit 9
Offices and work areas 7–8
Home interiors 5–7

Thanks, as you see this thread got me something learning ;)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 11, 2013 09:00 |  #369
bannedPermanent ban

gfspencer wrote in post #15701684 (external link)
No one has asked me but if someone did I would tell him/her to pick the camera (and the lenses) that fit your style of shooting.

But any style could benefit from more than 1 centre cross type point no???

I mean this is 2013, not 1970. One centre cross type is seriously not up to standard and way behind its competition. That's why there is so much hate.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 09:02 |  #370

gfspencer wrote in post #15701684 (external link)
Exactly! That's what I've been saying. If your style is to shoot fast go for a 5DIII or a 7D. If I go to an F-1 race I take the 7D. If I'm trying to shoot a bird in the back yard I use the 7D. If I want to shoot black and white I pick up my old M8. (An M8 without the UV filters makes great black and white photos.) Choose and use a camera for it's strengths.

As far as I can tell no one has come out with a camera that will do everything exceptionally well so you have to pick a camera that meets your needs. No one has asked me but if someone did I would tell him/her to pick the camera (and the lenses) that fit your style of shooting.

Question my dear friend ,

When you shoot with the 7D, and you crop, do you still like the IQ,?
That is the only grip I had toward the 7D, but I got a choice....the 1dx for $5000 more ;)

Can't wait to see the new 7DII

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 09:04 |  #371

kin2son wrote in post #15701747 (external link)
But any style could benefit from more than 1 centre cross type point no???

I mean this is 2013, not 1970. One centre cross type is seriously not up to standard and way behind its competition. That's why there is so much hate.

Yes, that is the whole point of this thread, AF is not a option, we need it, GPS while is great you can always add one further on, but you can't buy AF , only if you get a new camera.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 11, 2013 09:40 |  #372

It looks like the market is speaking ... just three months after release and the price of the 6D has already dropped from $2100 to under $1700 ($1694 at GetItDigital). Compare this to the 7D which took more than 2 years to drop $400 from its introductory price. Even the 5D III, which many thought was overpriced at its $3500 launch price, managed to stay at that price point for about seven months before dropping to ~$3000 over the holidays.

IMAGE: http://www.canonpricewatch.com/graph/04039-Canon-EOS-6D-price-graph.png

The really funny part is that those dealers that still have new 5D IIs (like B&H) are selling it for *more* than the 6D.

outlawyer wrote in post #15698169 (external link)
Mildly curious as to how many posters declaring 6D AF to be DOA have ever been in the same room with one, much less have actually shot with one.

In this case I don't need to see it in person or use it. I know that with my 7D I frequently use the off-center AF points; even positive reviews of the 6D admit that the off-center AF points aren't very good; without usable off-center AF points the 6D is a non-starter for me.

Using the same thought process, people don't need to use the 6D to decide that 1/180th max sync speed or 4.5 FPS aren't adequate for them. (IMHO cutting the FPS back was acceptable, but having a sync speed even lower than the t3i and t4i was a poor decision by Canon.)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 10:13 |  #373

casaaviocar wrote in post #15701653 (external link)
So this whole rant has a very simple solution: buy a 5D3 or 1Dx...or get the Nikon

You want a 5D3 for the price of a 6D, not gonna happen. Canon has your camera, you just don't want to pay for it.

Very TRUE, Canon wants my money, they forget one thing:Competition and they are going to lose a lot of sales on that one.

Does'nt take a genius to do the math....i'm not talking about you, but new customers that need a FF. you really think they are gonna tell em that Canon has the best for their money?
Maybe, but surely not.

So for all new buyers, the other brand will be a winner.
In my case, I got to much to lose, too many lens and flash!
And on top, I don't like the ergo , the washed out colors......

If you were at the head of Canon and see that the competition does great, what would you do, adjust the AF so its the customer gets more, lets say without GPS, or ignore everyone and do has they have done, good AF but could improve.

I would have gone with a slightly more cross points, and no GPS, which you can always add in the end.

;)

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 11, 2013 10:13 |  #374

I think $2100 out of the gate was too aggressive. It should have been <$2K to start.

But, now I know a LOT of people like me who have recently picked up the 6D with the recent price breaks. Many of us (who are now buying) are cheap by nature, so buying new, full price was not appealing, but with the recent drops, there are a lot of 5Dc and APS-C upgraders (oh, and D600 immigrants, who want an oil-spot-free sensor).

The AF points could be better, but 3 weeks into my 6D, I have zero complaints. I evaluated the following: 6D, keeping 5Dc, 5dii used, D700 used, D600.

One thing that is happening, the used price of the 5Dc is collapsing further. It's approaching $400.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 11, 2013 10:18 |  #375

jrbdmb wrote in post #15701903 (external link)
It looks like the market is speaking ... just three months after release and the price of the 6D has already dropped from $2100 to under $1700 ($1694 at GetItDigital). Compare this to the 7D which took more than 2 years to drop $400 from its introductory price. Even the 5D III, which many thought was overpriced at its $3500 launch price, managed to stay at that price point for about seven months before dropping to ~$3000 over the holidays.

QUOTED IMAGE

The really funny part is that those dealers that still have new 5D IIs (like B&H) are selling it for *more* than the 6D.

In this case I don't need to see it in person or use it. I know that with my 7D I frequently use the off-center AF points; even positive reviews of the 6D admit that the off-center AF points aren't very good; without usable off-center AF points the 6D is a non-starter for me.

Using the same thought process, people don't need to use the 6D to decide that 1/180th max sync speed or 4.5 FPS aren't adequate for them. (IMHO cutting the FPS back was acceptable, but having a sync speed even lower than the t3i and t4i was a poor decision by Canon.)

I'll be looking into this, thanks for the infos!
Its a mix feeling about AF point of views, which is a good thing!

sponsored links

47,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.