Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DPP problem decoding Raw image

GTT
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 10, 2013 10:36 |  #1

Recently took about 25 shots with bracketed exposure of my wife's recent artwork on my S95.

When I went to open a number of the raw images I got a could not decode msg from DPP. Checked the same image in Fastone and it had no problem with image.

Using DPP vs. 3.11.31.0

I also checked on my older computer which has the previous DPP vs on it 3.11.26.0 and it has the same problem and cannot encode several images saying they are corrupt, again Fastone on that machine opens them fine and displays the full image when "A" is pressed.

This is the first time I have come across this problem and wonder if others have experienced this and is this a known problem

sponsored links
agedbriar
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 10, 2013 17:33 |  #2

The default setting in FastStone (F12 > RAW tab) is to display the embedded preview (jpg) image from the raw file (fastest mode).

Your raw data may be corrupt and the embedded image intact. Set FastStone to display Actual size and see if it still works.

PaulSoebekti
156 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 10, 2013 18:14 |  #3

Update 3.12.52.0 is the current version and recognizes S95 RAW files.

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 10, 2013 22:31 |  #4

PaulSoebekti wrote in post #15699625 (external link)
Update 3.12.52.0 is the current version and recognizes S95 RAW files.

I will update but don't believe that will solve the problem. Both versions I have had no problem with I would guess about at least 500 raw images until now. Fastone can see the file using actual not the embedded jpg image. I didn't mention it in my OP but DPP cannot even show the jpg for the Raw files it indicates cannot be decoded.

Possibly this will turn out to be a one time problem.

I was wondering if others have had this problem crop up.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2013 00:40 |  #5

There could be any number of things that have gone awry -- a corrupted memory card can be pretty common, or a faulty card reader, cable, disk drive...things that messing with DPP won't help.

One thing you could do to help us help you -- pick one of your shots that is having this problem and upload it to a good host such as YouSendIt.com with your email address as the "Recipient". They will email a link to you and you can post the link here. Then members here can download it and check it out -- a lot of us either actively use DPP or at least have it installed and we can check things out!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2013 08:57 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #6

Here is a link to one of the files said to be corrupted

https://www.yousendit.​com …ad/UVJqS3hZNHZC​MTQ5WThUQw (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 11, 2013 09:35 |  #7

Interestingly, DPP will display the image but not permit conversion of it -DPP displays a low-res blocky image, presumably a scaled up version of the embedded JPEG. I can slide the sliders around int he "Raw" tab of the interface, and changes to the image will occur.

However, I can open and convert the raw file with several other raw converters (ACR, RPP, Iridient Developer, Capture One) but DPP does not want to work - an error occurs in DPP batch.

DXO also reports an error and will not permit me to process the image.

Of course, none of these applications actually tell you anything useful about what may be wrong.

However, dcraw reports the following:

[B]kirkt$ dcraw -v -T -o 2 -q 3 -6 /Users/kirkt/Desktop/P​OTNImage/IMG_1500.CR2[​/B]

Loading Canon PowerShot S95 image from /Users/kirkt/Desktop/P​OTNImage/IMG_1500.CR2 ...
[COLOR=red][B]/Users/k​irkt/Desktop/POTNImage​/IMG_1500.CR2: Corrupt data near 0xa68072[/B][/COLOR]
Scaling with darkness 127, saturation 4095, and
multipliers 1.918769 1.000000 1.785907 1.000000
AHD interpolation...
Converting to Adobe RGB (1998) colorspace...
Writing data to /Users/kirkt/Desktop/P​OTNImage/IMG_1500.tiff ...

The conversion is successful and you get a report about where the corrupt data live.

Taadaa! It would appear that some raw converters are more robust than others in terms of handling corrupt files.

kirk

Kirk
---

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2013 10:12 |  #8

Thanks Kirk for that info.

Based on that information I guess there is something wrong in the raw file but not enough to stop some other programs from processing the image.

I assume something went astray when my s95 wrote the raw file and appears to have occurred on about 3 files out of about 80 images. Hopefully this is a one off time and not the start of a problem developing with the camera.

This is the only camera I have that shoots raw and I rely on using a raw image to get an accurate colour reproduction of my wife's paintings using white balance adjustments, brightness and saturation then crop and save as another raw image then convert and save as a jpeg for use on photos or web images.

I was able to open and open the file in Fastone (could not adjust WB though) and open and adjust in Corel PS X4 but am not as comfortable using that program, also as I bracket the exposure getting 3 shots I was able to just use another shot at another exposure.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 11, 2013 12:19 |  #9

using white balance adjustments, brightness and saturation then crop and save as another raw image then convert and save as a jpeg for use on photos or web images.

I don't think this is possible, because as far as I know there is no software that will change the Raw image data in the way way you describe - DPP certainly won't and it is from Canon, the proprietors of the CR2 code. The one exception to this rule is when DPP applies DLO lens corrections. I think you are apparently doing an unnecessary extra step because of a misunderstanding about the nature of Raw processing. In DPP, when you have the image looking the way you want it and then click on Save, what happens is that only the instructions for how to edit the Raw are saved. They are saved in the metadata section of the CR2 file, but the Raw data is itself unchanged. Moreover, the original instructions written by the camera are not overwritten, just demoted to second place and you can always return to them. Or you can do new edits and save them. The editing instructions are actually used only when a jpg or tiff is generated. If however, you click Save As, DPP will create a copy of the original, with identical image data and with the new instructions. By creating this second Raw you really haven't accomplished anything and you might just as well render your jpgs from the original, thus saving time and a lot of drive space.

Elie / אלי

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2013 15:20 |  #10

tzalman wrote in post #15702430 (external link)
I don't think this is possible, because as far as I know there is no software that will change the Raw image data in the way way you describe - DPP certainly won't and it is from Canon, the proprietors of the CR2 code. The one exception to this rule is when DPP applies DLO lens corrections. I think you are apparently doing an unnecessary extra step because of a misunderstanding about the nature of Raw processing. In DPP, when you have the image looking the way you want it and then click on Save, what happens is that only the instructions for how to edit the Raw are saved. They are saved in the metadata section of the CR2 file, but the Raw data is itself unchanged. Moreover, the original instructions written by the camera are not overwritten, just demoted to second place and you can always return to them. Or you can do new edits and save them. The editing instructions are actually used only when a jpg or tiff is generated. If however, you click Save As, DPP will create a copy of the original, with identical image data and with the new instructions. By creating this second Raw you really haven't accomplished anything and you might just as well render your jpgs from the original, thus saving time and a lot of drive space.

Interesting I think I know what you are saying but when I save image.cr2 as image_2.cr2 with my changes to get the colour brightness etc that best compares to the original painting if my wife when she sees image_2 then decides she would prefer I redo it as she isn't happy and the redo is worse than the first which she is now happy with I can at least use my original changes for a jpeg. If I simple start again without saving all my previous work it is lost. Maybe there is a simple solution to not creating multiple files but I am not aware of it. Hard drive space is not a problem.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 11, 2013 17:17 |  #11

GTT wrote in post #15703205 (external link)
Maybe there is a simple solution to not creating multiple files but I am not aware of it. Hard drive space is not a problem.

Yep, very simple. In the Edit menu there are two options, "Save Recipe in File" and "Read and Paste Recipe from File". The first makes a little *.vrd text file. You could even make dozens of different variations based on the same Raw.

Elie / אלי

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2013 18:10 |  #12

tzalman wrote in post #15703695 (external link)
Yep, very simple. In the Edit menu there are two options, "Save Recipe in File" and "Read and Paste Recipe from File". The first makes a little *.vrd text file. You could even make dozens of different variations based on the same Raw.

Thanks for that tip. Does it save everything you do to the raw image including cropping and straightening?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2013 19:55 |  #13

FYI, the image does import into Lightroom and opens in the Develop module, lets you do a good quality "100% Zoom" and such. It's hard to say what the problem might be. As I've said, cards can have problems, as well as cables and readers, so I wouldn't blame it on your camera without first doing some real troubleshooting of the various bits of your setup.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 15, 2013 11:49 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #15703695 (external link)

Its been a while since this post but yesterday took pictures of my wife's latest art. So what I did was as suggested saved my changes on the raw images as a .vrd for each image I worked on.

When I went to close the program though it asked me whether I wanted to wanted to save the .cr2 files I had adjusted. Not knowing what to do I reverted to my old method and saved each .cr2 file I changed with a new name. then closed the program.

But when I reopen DPP to the original files the .cr2 files worked on display with the changes that I made. Not sure why the program asked me whether to save or close without saving if it was just going to maintain all my changes anyway.

I guess if I understand the method the only time I need to make a recipe file (.vrd) is if I make multiple changes and what to keep them all. Is that correct?

sponsored links

2,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP problem decoding Raw image
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.