Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Took my 70-200 F4 to a wedding

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 11, 2013 18:28 |  #61

The way I see it is you buy the equipment to use, so use it when you can! Since I've done enough weddings already, when I am not the official photographer I leave everything at home... Seems stupid to even think about bringing a pocket camera worried about what you may look like carrying a professional one.

My niece was married recently and group shots were somewhat of a mis-managed disaster. I could have helped, but I stayed clear since they hired a professional and I was there as a guest.

sponsored links
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 11, 2013 18:49 |  #62

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #15703968 (external link)
Just shot a wedding where there was a guest with a 70-200 actually getting in my way left and right. She literally got behind the alter during the ceremony, and I was able to motion for her to get out of the way right before the first kiss.

My wife took a picture of me fighting for position with her and one other paparazzi. Will post when I get home

After that experience I now have that conversation with all of my brides and grooms.

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #15703971 (external link)
It's not absurd to bring good equipment to a wedding. But make sure you stay out of the way.

What you have done here is expounded about the argument by adding additional details that did not happen to better win your case. I can VERY easily bring a 70-200 to a wedding and not get in anybody's way (like the OP). A guy with a cellphone camera however can be the most annoying rude person at a wedding if he stands in front of the hired photographer for all of his shots. My point is that it has nothing to do with the lens itself, but everything to do with the person behind the lens! It seems that Felix here has an issue with the lens itself but has yet to back his opinion up with any reasons.

So, yes. I think that it is absurd for someone to state that anybody with camera equipment larger than a P&S at a wedding has no class. It all has to do with the person. Hell, I don't even need a camera of any kind to be more rude than a person carrying a 400 f2.8 at a wedding.
I honestly believe that there is no correlation between lens size and rudeness/class.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 11, 2013 19:20 |  #63

I shot a wedding a few years ago and encountered a guest who had a Canon 600mm f/4 lens on his camera (his lens was so large I didn't even notice what the camera body was!). This guest sat in the 2nd row and was shooting during the entire ceremony. I imagine the bride got a lot of close-up images of her nose hairs....

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 11, 2013 19:37 |  #64

PhotoMatte wrote in post #15704172 (external link)
. I imagine the bride got a lot of close-up images of her nose hairs....

hahahahaha

ewheeler, dont bring that lens dude lol

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 11, 2013 20:16 |  #65

if I had a 600 f4 I'd bring that thing everywhere. Heck, if I was getting married i'd probably even bring it there!

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 11, 2013 22:37 |  #66

hahahaha

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 11, 2013 23:05 |  #67

PhotoMatte wrote in post #15704172 (external link)
I shot a wedding a few years ago and encountered a guest who had a Canon 600mm f/4 lens on his camera (his lens was so large I didn't even notice what the camera body was!). This guest sat in the 2nd row and was shooting during the entire ceremony. I imagine the bride got a lot of close-up images of her nose hairs....

Seriously? I mean this lens has a minimum focus distance of 20 feet and I just did the DOF calculator thing and at 20 feet, f/8 full frame you have a dof of a whopping 1 inch and a dimensional FOV of 14" by 9". Nose hair is right cause that's all that will be in focus.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 00:26 |  #68

On this topic - in the first shot you see two photographers. The one on the left with two cameras = the official photographer. The one in the middle is another guest :-) He had a 60D. The one taking the "spy shot" with the long lens is me :-)

DRH

csmadsen
45 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 12, 2013 10:46 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #69

It has been a heated debate it looks like.

My biggest thing is to not get in the way of the guy working for sure.. That is number one...

I some times bring more and leave it in the truck but normally unless the Bride and Groom ask me to take photos.. say after the wedding photographer leaves for the night I either take the G12 or I might bring the 5Dmkiii but only use the 50mm just for cadids of me and my friends mostly. I take to many images as it is to keep up on taking photos from weddings I didn't officially shoot... although on the plus side if I do take photos as a wedding I wasn't the official photographer I normally have quick edits because I don't put much effort into it.

Craig Madsen Photography
https://www.facebook.c​om/CraigMadsenPhotogra​phy (external link)
Canon 5D mk3 & 7D - 16-35mm L - 24-70mm - 70-200mm - 50mm 1.4

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 12, 2013 13:23 |  #70

MichaelAnthonyPhotogra​phy wrote in post #15703971 (external link)
It's not absurd to bring good equipment to a wedding. But make sure you stay out of the way.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This

we photograph 25 plus weddings a year. I could give a rats A$$ what a guest brings to a wedding as far as photography equipment goes. Im paid before I arrive and all I ask is that anyone who brings a camera and big white lens to a wedding to please be responsible and considerate to the family who hired me.

To the OP. You got some nice shots. send the bride a copy. Im sure she will enjoy them.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2013 16:24 |  #71

umphotography wrote in post #15706905 (external link)
^^^^^^^^^^^

This

To the OP. You got some nice shots. send the bride a copy. Im sure she will enjoy them.

Thanks and I sent them over. They are delighted and after this debate, I am glad that I stuck around only for a short while to get about five good shots.

DRH

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 13, 2013 11:32 |  #72

I'm a big fan of turning around at the ceremony and grabbing shots of the attendees as they look on. It's a view that the B+G rarely ever get to appreciate while they're in the fog of the moment and focused on each other. I think it has become a real problem when I turn to the guests only to find them with their eye pressed to a camera or, worse--an ipad hanging in front of their face.

Perhaps I should see my job as simply capturing what's actually occurring--whatever it is. But I just wish the guests were attending with the idea of being solely focused on the experience of the B+G and NOT their own personal ambitions.

The above isn't intended to chide the OP, who ostensibly stayed out of the photographer's way and didn't disrupt any photos.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 13, 2013 11:48 |  #73

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #15710683 (external link)
...Perhaps I should see my job as simply capturing what's actually occurring--whatever it is. But I just wish the guests were attending with the idea of being solely focused on the experience of the B+G and NOT their own personal ambitions.

Ok, maybe it's because I'm a guy, but about the most boring activity on the planet one can engage in is sitting through a wedding ceremony. It's something one has to do, sort of like visiting the proctologist after the age of 50. :):):) Photography is like the anesthetic used to make the experience less painful. :):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 13, 2013 12:04 |  #74

^haha :)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Chris
Goldmember
4,126 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 13, 2013 14:50 |  #75

gjl711 wrote in post #15710751 (external link)
Ok, maybe it's because I'm a guy, but about the most boring activity on the planet one can engage in is sitting through a wedding ceremony. It's something one has to do, sort of like visiting the proctologist after the age of 50. :):):) Photography is like the anesthetic used to make the experience less painful. :):)

You nailed it!! Only I feel that way about the reception. I don't dance, so I end up sitting around like a doofus. Once I started shooting, it made the reception so much more enjoyable. And I'm the self appointed photographer for all family get togethers.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

sponsored links

20,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Took my 70-200 F4 to a wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.