Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there much love here for the 24mm TS-E mark I?

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2013 08:21 |  #1

I'm looking at getting either this or the Mark II version, ideally due to cost a used Mark I comes out nearlly half the cost so seems most attractive.

I can stretch to the Mark II but will be on bread and water for a while afterwards..:lol:.. for those who have used either or both....would you stretch to V2 or be happy with the Mark I?.

Thanks in advance.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2013 08:37 |  #2

Might be worthwhile to wait for the Samyang 24mm TSE

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2013 08:47 |  #3

cdang wrote in post #15705964 (external link)
Might be worthwhile to wait for the Samyang 24mm TSE

Thanks , I did look at doing that, that would come out around the same as a used Mark I.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

billythek
161 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2013 09:15 |  #4

*Jayrou wrote in post #15705992 (external link)
Thanks , I did look at doing that, that would come out around the same as a used Mark I.

But the Samyang features are similar to the Canon Mark II (independent axis, number of lens groups). The big questions are image quality and construction.

Some people have questions about the use of plastic in Samyang lenses. Personally, I think they feel like they are built like a tank. But heavy use may prove otherwise. But since I don't overuse my lenses, it may work out for me. Provided, of course, that the lens delivers image quality similar to the Samyang 14mm that I own.

BearSummer
925 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 12, 2013 09:20 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #5

Hi jayrou,

I have had the mk1 for years and use it for wide angle panoramic, spherical panos and in camera architectural perspective correction. I have never had a problem with he tilt and shift being at 90 degrees to each other. If it is a problem then it's a ten minute job with a screwdriver to change once you have found the online instructions. However it not something that I've needed to do.

Unless the mk2 has significantly better image quality or you need to change the alignment of tilt and shift on a regular basis then save the money and get the mk1

All the best

Bearsummer

Moderation is for people that can't handle excess.

Gear List.

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 12, 2013 09:25 |  #6

I have a Mk1 and I am quite happy with it.
Sure I would like a Mk2 but I cannot justify £16-1700 for one,if I earned my living with it that would be a different matter.
As far as I am concerned it does what it says on the tin but yes it would be nice to have the independant rotation of tilt and shift instead of needing to take the lens apart.

Fountains Abbey

IMAGE: http://merlinphotographics.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v72/p1438072640-4.jpg

If you do get one and you have an android phone or tablet then look at DSLR Controller.
It enables you to plug your camera into your phone and view the shot in real time and zoom in for focussing.
It makes a world of difference when using tilt.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2013 09:47 |  #7

billythek wrote in post #15706080 (external link)
But the Samyang features are similar to the Canon Mark II (independent axis, number of lens groups). The big questions are image quality and construction.

Some people have questions about the use of plastic in Samyang lenses. Personally, I think they feel like they are built like a tank. But heavy use may prove otherwise. But since I don't overuse my lenses, it may work out for me. Provided, of course, that the lens delivers image quality similar to the Samyang 14mm that I own.

Thanks, I have no problem looking at the Samyang , I've considered the 14mm myself before I got the 16-35.. cheers.

BearSummer wrote in post #15706102 (external link)
Hi jayrou,

I have had the mk1 for years and use it for wide angle panoramic, spherical panos and in camera architectural perspective correction. I have never had a problem with he tilt and shift being at 90 degrees to each other. If it is a problem then it's a ten minute job with a screwdriver to change once you have found the online instructions. However it not something that I've needed to do.

Unless the mk2 has significantly better image quality or you need to change the alignment of tilt and shift on a regular basis then save the money and get the mk1

All the best

Bearsummer

Thats very encouraging thanks, It was the IQ of the V1 that worried me slightly along with CA, I had read its was on par with the 16-25 mark I, is that something you could agree with?

troutfisher wrote in post #15706126 (external link)
I have a Mk1 and I am quite happy with it.
Sure I would like a Mk2 but I cannot justify £16-1700 for one,if I earned my living with it that would be a different matter.
As far as I am concerned it does what it says on the tin but yes it would be nice to have the independant rotation of tilt and shift instead of needing to take the lens apart.

Fountains Abbey

If you do get one and you have an android phone or tablet then look at DSLR Controller.
It enables you to plug your camera into your phone and view the shot in real time and zoom in for focussing.
It makes a world of difference when using tilt.

Much appreciated Troutfisher, so independent rotation can be achieved with the mark i with some alteration?... how do you find the IQ on yours?
I do use Android so thats something I didn't know , cheers

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 12, 2013 09:57 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #8

I think the IQ on mine is OK and thats comparing it with with my other lenses which apart from one are all 'L',but I cannot compare it with a Mk2 TS-E for obvious reasons
This https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150307 is the lens archive for the Mk1which should give you some idea.
One thing I do wonder about is the Mk1 reputedly was soft and exhibited poor CA,(something which I have not seen to any great degree) but since it was first released software has made dramatic improvements in terms of lens correction and I suspect that photos processed today are a lot better than those processed some years ago.

Cheers

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2013 10:09 |  #9

troutfisher wrote in post #15706256 (external link)
I think the IQ on mine is OK and thats comparing it with with my other lenses which apart from one are all 'L',but I cannot compare it with a Mk2 TS-E for obvious reasons
This https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150307 is the lens archive for the Mk1which should give you some idea.
One thing I do wonder about is the Mk1 reputedly was soft and exhibited poor CA,(something which I have not seen to any great degree) but since it was first released software has made dramatic improvements in terms of lens correction and I suspect that photos processed today are a lot better than those processed some years ago.

Cheers

Thanks Chris, quite quiet that thread eh?, need to think about it but you have given me a bit to think about cheers

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there much love here for the 24mm TS-E mark I?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.