Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
DreamMaker23
604 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 12, 2013 09:12 |  #451

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #15705925 (external link)
It really is. Good camera and a good lens = good shot. Processed or not. It really comes down to the skill of the guy behind the camera. imo.

Yes indeed, skilled shot!
But I'm referring to the "whites" in his eyes.

Quality lense, with a little treatment would make this. :D

sponsored links
ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 12, 2013 10:54 |  #452

bobbyz wrote in post #15705993 (external link)
I have no skill so I just went for 5dmk3. :)

I'm worse, therefore I bought both 5d3 and 6d :)

:)

Furtim
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 12, 2013 11:08 |  #453

jocau wrote in post #15706027 (external link)
3) I believe the 5D3 doesn't have in-camera RAW to JPEG conversion. Now I only shoot RAW, but looks like a handy feature to me just in case when no PC is available and you need to send someone a JPEG file.

It does :-)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2013 11:19 |  #454
bannedPermanent ban

jocau wrote in post #15705145 (external link)
The only thing you have been doing so far in my and other threads is countering any criticism/remarks towards the 6D (even if valid points are made) and kind of making fun of people who actually like the 5D3. Your immature post about my iPhone/iPad is irrelevant and contributes nothing to this thread. I suggest you stay out of my thread if you can't reply in a normal way...

I obviously disagree. The 5D3 is a fine camera. The 6D is a fine camera (with a very good AF system). I criticize unfounded remarks trying to rationalize the purchase/opinion of some other product. . YOUR post about YOUR iPhone (5)/iPad(3)! speaks for itself. Maybe we should ALL think a little more prior to posting...

Dave

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,488 posts
Gallery: 470 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 12, 2013 11:44 |  #455

bobbyz wrote in post #15705993 (external link)
I have no skill so I just went for 5dmk3. :)

Hey that's ok. At least you have money! :)

I don't have skill or money. :(

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 12, 2013 11:49 as a reply to  @ post 15705195 |  #456

blackjack999 wrote in post #15660786 (external link)
I didn't know about this device! Great stuff! We're waiting for your feedback!

Muskett32 wrote in post #15703796 (external link)
lol...no kidding...the final cost keeps going down.

Hey, let us know on that CamRanger when you try it out. Seems interesting.

Ok guys so today I tried out the CamRanger together with my 550D, iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

Setup wasn't hard.

1) Download the CamRanger app from the AppStore.
2) Make sure you are connected to your local WiFi network (so you have internet access).
3) Start the CamRanger app, click on "Register" and enter the serial number that's located on the back of the CamRanger device (it's case sensitive). It will tell you that registration was successful.
4) Close the CamRanger app and go to your WiFi settings. This time connect to your CamRanger network and use the serial number that's located on the back of the CamRanger device (again it's case sensitive) as WiFi key.
5) Start the CamRanger app again, et voila, everything is working.

The interface was pretty straightforward. However I didn't see any live feed when the app was started. For that to happen, I had to tap the "eye" icon first. Tap to focus, double tap to zoom in and zoom out. I could also record a movie, but the 550D would not show a live feed while recording nor would it let me focus during recording (normal cause I didn't see a thing while recording...). For that you'll need a newer camera (see the "Supported Cameras (external link)" section).

Framerate was decent (I guess it was around 15 FPS). That's not real-time, but not horrible either. At least more than enough for rather stationary subjects. Another cool feature was the "live histogram". When enabled, you can see the histogram change on-the-fly. Only problem with this was that the framerate dropped to somewhere between I guess 5 and 10 FPS. Downloading RAW files to my iPad took 10-20 seconds.

Another thing to mention... The USB cable that came with the CamRanger and needs to be connected to the CamRanger and the camera, has a hooked connector at the camera side. What this means, is that if the USB connector on your camera is positioned rather low and you want to place your camera directly on a table, then the hooked connector will push the camera a bit into the air which will put strain on the USB connector of the camera. This almost occured with my 550D. But I noticed in time that I couldn't put my 550D flat on a table with the cable connected. No problems at all when you use a tripod like I eventually did. I put the CamRanger in the black pouch that came with it and attached the black pouch to the hook of my tripod's centercolumn.

Overall I'm impressed with this little device. Judging on what I've seen so far, it's more advanced than the EOS Remote app in its current state. I haven't even talked about making micro-adjustments to the focus or focus stacking or HDR which are all possible with the CamRanger. For more info I'd advise you to check out the "Features (external link)" page and this video: *CLICK (external link)*.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 12, 2013 11:51 |  #457

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #15706600 (external link)
Hey that's ok. At least you have money! :)

I don't have skill or money. :(

Lol...got a real kick out of this.. hilarious. +1 on both for me as well. :)

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 12, 2013 11:54 |  #458

jocau wrote in post #15706616 (external link)
Ok guys so today I tried out the CamRanger together with my 550D, iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

Setup wasn't hard.

1) Download the CamRanger app from the AppStore.
2) Make sure you are connected to your local WiFi network (so you have internet access).
3) Start the CamRanger app, click on "Register" and enter the serial number that's located on the back of the CamRanger device (it's case sensitive). It will tell you that registration was successful.
4) Close the CamRanger app and go to your WiFi settings. This time connect to your CamRanger network and use the serial number that's located on the back of the CamRanger device (again it's case sensitive) as WiFi key.
5) Start the CamRanger app again, et voila, everything is working.

The interface was pretty straightforward. However I didn't see any live feed when the app was started. For that to happen, I had to tap the "eye" icon first. Tap to focus, double tap to zoom in and zoom out. I could also record a movie, but the 550D would not show a live feed while recording nor would it let me focus during recording (normal cause I didn't see a thing while recording...). For that you'll need a newer camera (see the "Supported Cameras (external link)" section).

Framerate was decent (I guess it was around 15 FPS). That's not real-time, but not horrible either. At least more than enough for rather stationary subjects. Another cool feature was the "live histogram". When enabled, you can see the histogram change on-the-fly. Only problem with this was that the framerate dropped to somewhere between I guess 5 and 10 FPS. Downloading RAW files to my iPad took 10-20 seconds.

Another thing to mention... The USB cable that came with the CamRanger and needs to be connected to the CamRanger and the camera, has a hooked connector at the camera side. What this means, is that if the USB connector on your camera is positioned rather low and you want to place your camera directly on a table, then the hooked connector will push the camera a bit into the air which will put strain on the USB connector of the camera. This almost occured with my 550D. But I noticed in time that I couldn't put my 550D flat on a table with the cable connected. No problems at all when you use a tripod like I eventually did. I put the CamRanger in the black pouch that came with it and attached the black pouch to the hook of my tripod's centercolumn.

Overall I'm impressed with this little device. Judging on what I've seen so far, it's more advanced than the EOS Remote app in its current state. I haven't even talked about making micro-adjustments to the focus or focus stacking or HDR which are all possible with the CamRanger. For more info I'd advise you to check out the "Features (external link)" page and this video: *CLICK (external link)*.

Nice! Sounds very cool. Now don't make me go buy this thing Jocau. You're a bad influence on me. :)

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 12, 2013 11:58 |  #459

Muskett32 wrote in post #15706624 (external link)
Lol...got a real kick out of this.. hilarious. +1 on both for me as well. :)

Same here. I LOLed. :D

Muskett32 wrote in post #15706633 (external link)
Nice! Sounds very cool. Now don't make me go buy this thing Jocau. You're a bad influence on me. :)

Read my post 10 times and you'll be looking for your credit card. :D

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 15, 2013 10:02 |  #460

Good God! This thread is still going and you haven't made up your mind yet? We've got a new Pope now and I think the 5DIV is about to be announced. :p

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 15, 2013 10:54 |  #461

Nathan wrote in post #15717904 (external link)
Good God! This thread is still going and you haven't made up your mind yet? We've got a new Pope now and I think the 5DIV is about to be announced. :p

Mom, are we there yet? No.
Dad, are we there yet? No.
Sister, are we there yet? No.
Brother, are we there yet? No.

:p

sanil
658 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 15, 2013 11:19 |  #462

6d is a fabulous camera . For the last ten days been using it and fell in love with it. As far as focus accuracy goes, for my needs its sufficient. In day light focus accuracy of outside points is pretty good. I dont plan on shooting birds and sports in less than decent light anyways.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/anilsarvepalli​/ (external link)

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 15, 2013 16:16 |  #463

Nathan wrote in post #15717904 (external link)

LOL :lol:

cc10d
812 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 15, 2013 20:10 |  #464

Well you have been having a lot of feedback! I have the 7D and added the 5D3 a few months ago. By the way, according to Canon they will be adding autofocus at f8 in April with a firmware upgrade. I love the Mk3, It is unequivically the best camera body for the dollar I have ever had. My particular hot spot is the focus capability. I believe that the only thing as good is the 1Dx. I have fantastic low light performance and the highest rate of focuing keepers ever, for me. Can you tell, I like my 5D3 a lot. No compalants on it at all.!!
You will love it too, I am sure.

cc

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 16, 2013 00:22 |  #465

Well I choose the 6D, it arrives on Monday.
Considering how happy I am with the 7D for action and sports together with the 200mm prime, where it's functionally a very compact 320mm 2.8, I don't feel I need the 5D3. The 6D is arguably better than the 5D3 for the type of shots I want a FF for. It has a better sensor, replaceable focus screens, wifi and GPS.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

sponsored links

111,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.