Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 18:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reviews comparing Canon vs Nikon

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2013 13:49 |  #151

Hogloff wrote in post #15706920 (external link)
You lost me here. What does cost, customer service, processing speed etc... have to do with better DR?

I think he' saying that DR isn't everything. A camera with better DR but twice the cost or better DR but only 1 frame a second may not be worth it. But for all practical purposes this isn't the case. All the cameras we are talking about are pretty much in the same niche.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2013 13:51 |  #152
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #15706920 (external link)
You lost me here. What does cost, customer service, processing speed etc... have to do with better DR?

Whether the improved DR is worth the cost. ALL of these factor into the decision to buy this "Product". Will this DR improvement (and it absolutely is a plus!) offset all these negatives?

Dave

sploo
premature adulation
2,598 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 12, 2013 15:12 |  #153

gjl711 wrote in post #15706231 (external link)
Anyway, Fred Miranda did just that when comparing the MkIII and the D800. Samples about midway down.
http://www.fredmiranda​.com …dex_controlled-tests.html (external link)

Yea, I remember seeing those pics and hoping that someone at Canon has also paid attention for future products!

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 12, 2013 15:31 |  #154
bannedPermanent ban

Bakewell wrote in post #15707021 (external link)
Whether the improved DR is worth the cost. ALL of these factor into the decision to buy this "Product". Will this DR improvement (and it absolutely is a plus!) offset all these negatives?

There are no negatives. We aren't talking here about Nikon versus Canon. We are talking about more DR than what is available in the D6 or 5d3 cameras. I don't see how more DR would affect cost or fps or anything at all.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 12, 2013 15:39 |  #155
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #15707417 (external link)
There are no negatives. We aren't talking here about Nikon versus Canon. We are talking about more DR than what is available in the D6 or 5d3 cameras. I don't see how more DR would affect cost or fps or anything at all.

I've never heard of anyone not wanting more DR. Nobody every complains about better IQ at higher ISO but somehow more DR is a bad thing.

Everything comes at a cost. Creating a better sensor, better af motor, better ISO. We pay for it when we purchase that new camera.

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 12, 2013 16:07 |  #156

I sure want some more DR and was pretty close to buying the D800E as I am not a big fan carrying filters and holders everywhere I go. I will wait out Canon and see what their R&D have been up to and what their next generation of sensors can do. If I didn't love my L primes so much, I would have most likely switched.

However, Canon did respond well to the 5d2 feedback for the 5d3 development with professional level AF, banding, etc. Hopefully, they will respond the same in the DR department for the next generation.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2013 16:23 |  #157
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #15707417 (external link)
There are no negatives.

Really? No increased cost of the 800 over the 6D? No terrible Nikon customer service and Quality Control vs. Canon? No huge file complications with Nikon? No inferior lens quality deficiencies compared to Canon lens? My friend, these are All costs.

Dave

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Mar 12, 2013 16:46 |  #158

Bakewell wrote in post #15707623 (external link)
Really? No increased cost of the 800 over the 6D? No terrible Nikon customer service and Quality Control vs. Canon? No huge file complications with Nikon? No inferior lens quality deficiencies compared to Canon lens? My friend, these are All costs.

You keep rolling all those things together in your purchase decision. That is not what was meant by "there are no negatives". If the only way to get more DR is in a higher priced model (or one with other factors that are negative), then you start doing the normal photography compromise dance.

My picture galleries (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 12, 2013 16:48 |  #159
bannedPermanent ban

You still don't get it. Lets just for a second remove Nikon out of the picture. Now wouldn't you just love more DR in the 6D?

Seems like any people hear are arguing they don't need anymore dynamic range, but I say more DR is better than less...even if you only occasionally can use it.

I don't understand your kick on customer support, costs lens etc... We are just talking about greater DR, and how nice it would be to have more than less.

Got it this time?

sploo
premature adulation
2,598 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 12, 2013 16:59 |  #160

I'm not sure there's a direct cause and effect there, and besides, the D800 sells for less than the 5D3 from what I've seen, and it has significantly greater DR than the 5D3.

It's possible that buying Exmor sensors is killing Nikon in terms of cost (and thus affecting service and quality control) but then why wouldn't they just raise the price of the D800 to match the 5D3 to compensate? I.e. I doubt their (alleged - I have no direct experience) poor customer service has anything to do with high DR sensors.

Anything's possible of course; as you can see there's a clear relationship between global warming and pirates: http://www.venganza.or​g/about/open-letter/ (external link) ;)

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 12, 2013 17:01 |  #161

TSchrief wrote in post #15696609 (external link)
I found another just like this here: http://www.flickr.com …992473144/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)
Unbelievable!

He says it is 5 stops, but the exif shows -4...

Regardless, it is still pretty amazing.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2013 17:15 |  #162
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #15707745 (external link)
You still don't get it. Lets just for a second remove Nikon out of the picture. Now wouldn't you just love more DR in the 6D?

Seems like any people hear are arguing they don't need anymore dynamic range, but I say more DR is better than less...even if you only occasionally can use it.

I don't understand your kick on customer support, costs lens etc... We are just talking about greater DR, and how nice it would be to have more than less.

Got it this time?

I got it the first time...I would love more DR in the 6D! And my previous T4i, and my T2i before that, and my 350XT before that. But it's wasn't there because of the cost. If I want it I have to put up with all the Nikon crap! And you don't seem to get that. The Nikon "crap" is a cost!

Dave

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 12, 2013 17:21 |  #163
bannedPermanent ban

Bakewell wrote in post #15707854 (external link)
I got it the first time...I would love more DR in the 6D! And my previous T4i, and my T2i before that, and my 350XT before that. But it's wasn't there because of the cost. If I want it I have to put up with all the Nikon crap! And you don't seem to get that. The Nikon "crap" is a cost!

Yep...but we were not talking about Nikon crap at the time...we were just talking about DR. Like I said...people here indicated they don't need anymore DR and my arguement is that you can always use less if you want...but if you ain't got it like Canon does not have it....when you need more you are SOL.

So would you like more DR or not? And don't bring Nikon into this equation as it seems like you are fixated on Nikon for one reason or another.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2013 17:33 |  #164

Hogloff wrote in post #15707888 (external link)
....but if you ain't got it like Canon does not have it....when you need more you are SOL....

Well, not entirly. As has been pointed out, there are workarounds. It's not optimal nor easier, but if you need more DR, there are ways.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2013 17:36 |  #165
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #15707888 (external link)
Yep...but we were not talking about Nikon crap at the time...we were just talking about DR. Like I said...people here indicated they don't need anymore DR and my arguement is that you can always use less if you want...but if you ain't got it like Canon does not have it....when you need more you are SOL.

So would you like more DR or not? And don't bring Nikon into this equation as it seems like you are fixated on Nikon for one reason or another.

You have to bring Nikon into it since they are the only ones that offer better DR. Of course I'd like it, but it's not worth it to me to pay $1000 dollars more. There is a cost. We can't have the perfect camera for 1500!

Dave

sponsored links

13,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reviews comparing Canon vs Nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.