Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Now that knives and clubs and bats are allowed...

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,698 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 13, 2013 08:14 |  #1

Can I carry my tripod attached to my camera backpack on an airplane? Anyone done that since the new rules, or before? I've never tried, always taking larger luggage than I need (who am I kidding, I'm an overpacker) in order to fit my tripod diagonally in the suitcase surrounded carefully with my clothes for cushioning.

me

sponsored links
Grizz1
Goldmember
1,604 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 13, 2013 09:21 |  #2

You probably will be able to do so to your first destination but it will be illegal to return home with the tripod. I took a flight once where lighters were prohibited but paper matches were fine, on the return trip home the next week, matches were prohibited and lighters were fine.
Actually I do not know the answer to the question.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 13, 2013 09:39 as a reply to  @ Grizz1's post |  #3

I know you can carry a hockey stick... Of course that makes me feel better since nobody has EVER BEEN HURT with a hockey stick....

Now a tripod... Come on WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO CARRY ONE OF THOSE ON BOARD? You could expand it and use it as a weapon, block the aisle, use ti injure flight crews, there is no need for one on the plane (unlike a very safe and important hockey stick)...

Most importantly, they never said you could bring a tripod on board, so I'd honestly say the rules will stay at whatever they were and they probably will not let them on board....

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Gomer
96 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 13, 2013 10:09 |  #4

well, I could imagine that you'd take 3 of newly legal swiss army knives and attach them to the tripod feet and have yourself a weapon of mass distraction.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,727 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 13, 2013 10:59 |  #5

Gomer wrote in post #15710409 (external link)
well, I could imagine that you'd take 3 of newly legal swiss army knives and attach them to the tripod feet and have yourself a weapon of mass distraction.

:lol::lol::lol:

I have always taken a tripod on a flight and no one has ever said boo to me. I used have more hassles with my think tank roller bag on due to overhead bin weight restrictions. Only one of the major Canadian airlines checked and was strict. As soon as they saw that bag they were all over me. I don't take it on planes anymore.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,155 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 13, 2013 12:11 |  #6

My wife was traveling today and I had to look up some info for her regarding bring gel and liquid makeup on board.

Interestingly, you can't bring a 12oz can of beer but if you can split them up into 4 3.4oz and fit in the clear bag and you're good :D

I took my Benro tripod attached to the Kata-103 bag from Vegas to San Jose last year on the flight back. On the flight to Vegas, I had it in the carry on luggage.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,727 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 13, 2013 12:20 |  #7

I guess you can pack more explosive power into a 12 ounce container. I'm not scientist but I guess one big thing is more efficient than a bunch of small ones. Sorry. Not trying to get you upset.

I really enjoyed the first few years after 9/11. People arguing with security while their stuff is being directed into the trash can. I know it may not be moral but it was amusing. I thought everyone owned a TV these days. What rock are they living under? Just slowed everyone down.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

jrm27
790 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 13, 2013 12:26 |  #8

I recently took a trip to Africa and had my tripod with my carry on. No problems at all... didnt even think it might be a problem!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jrmelot/ (external link)

silvrr
Goldmember
2,733 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 13, 2013 12:40 |  #9

Ive flown with my tripod a few times with no questions asked. Put it in the scanner it comes out the other side no questions asked. Just be sure to remove your spiked feet before you go.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 13, 2013 12:47 |  #10

Only problem I've had with a tripod (RRS 34L) was once on a commuter flight, got to the plane and was told to hand it over because it would not fit in the overhead space. Got off the plane and they handed it back to me, no big deal.

parfilator
109 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 13, 2013 14:04 |  #11

jrm27 wrote in post #15710863 (external link)
I recently took a trip to Africa and had my tripod with my carry on. No problems at all... didnt even think it might be a problem!

+ 1 on this. Just took a flight from Seattle to Palm Springs and back with no issue.

Canon 5D II|EOS M w/22mm f2.0| 50mm f1.4 |17-40mm f4 L| 70-200 mm f4 L| 100 mm f2.8L Macro | 24-70 mm f2.8LII |Yongnuo YN568EX|YN622c|Flickr (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,450 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 13, 2013 15:50 |  #12

Tripods were always listed as TSA approved. I've never had a problem

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 13, 2013 18:24 |  #13

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #15711550 (external link)
Tripods were always listed as TSA approved. I've never had a problem

i had a rather large manfrotto attached to mine once, no one said a word. although i detached it in the overhead bin to make more room.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

austenp405
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2013 12:52 as a reply to  @ pdrober2's post |  #14

I've flown with my tripod at least 50 times over the past 5 years, and I've never been hassled about it. It's expandable to over 6' and even has metal leveling spikes on the legs!

ZexGX
41 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 19, 2013 15:36 |  #15

austenp405 wrote in post #15732396 (external link)
I've flown with my tripod at least 50 times over the past 5 years, and I've never been hassled about it. It's expandable to over 6' and even has metal leveling spikes on the legs!

Do you have any pictures of this beast? :mrgreen:

Rebel T4i (external link) | 18-135 IS STM (external link) | 70-200 2.8 L (external link) | Tokina 11-16 II 2.8 (external link)
Weifeng CF 63" monopod (FT-1611) | Weifeng ball head (WF570H)
Dolica CF 60" Tripod (ZX600B103) | Dolica ball head
LR5.3 | CC
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,615 views & 0 likes for this thread
Now that knives and clubs and bats are allowed...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.