Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you setup your camera to use the image straight from the camera or rely on PP?

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 13, 2013 14:43 |  #16

I used to shoot slides exclusively until about 20 years ago when I put down my camera. Moved to digital about 10 years ago and 'discovered' the joys of PP and what can be done to adjust the image. So these days, except for images of interest to me only, I go with PP from the RAW image. For my own interests, JPG SOOC.

For what it's worth, I shoot RAW + LJPG, and make my 'first cut' on the JPGs weeding out dups, exposure problems, etc. I then make the same deletions from the RAW folder before I go to Lightroom and/or PS.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 13, 2013 17:10 as a reply to  @ bratkinson's post |  #17

i shoot Raw only. for quick and dirty pics i can extract the jpeg with the free program irfanview, quickly touch it up and send it on its way. i do this for sales ads, ebay auction, to post pics when i'm on the road, etc.

other than that i touch every pic that i like both in lightroom and photo shop.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

_igi
262 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 13, 2013 17:23 |  #18

When shooting portrait or documentary i'm exposing simply for pleasing images out of camera, and then process them in LR / PS. It's faster, easier and i don't need to talk about photoshopping after my clients notice back of my camera.

Things are little different when shooting on tripod, then i bracket my exposures every single time. But even then, my "0EV" frame is made simply to look good.

After all, photography is about pleasing images, not histograms and stuff :-)

1DsIII x2 | 1DIV | TS-E17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5LII | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L | 135L | 28-70/2.8L | 100-400L

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 13, 2013 18:51 |  #19

_igi wrote in post #15711844 (external link)
When shooting portrait or documentary i'm exposing simply for pleasing images out of camera, and then process them in LR / PS. It's faster, easier and i don't need to talk about photoshopping after my clients notice back of my camera.

Things are little different when shooting on tripod, then i bracket my exposures every single time. But even then, my "0EV" frame is made simply to look good.

After all, photography is about pleasing images, not histograms and stuff :-)

Bottom line though, until the advent of the new JPG engine in the 5D3, 1DX and 6D, if you want the most pleasing image out of your camera, you will always do better taking the raw image and starting with it as your basis than using the in-camera JPG engine.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Mar 13, 2013 19:23 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #20

I shoot jpeg only, and only about 10% SOOC are acceptable to me. Most of the PP is slight, but I want to make the best presentation I can ... so I do it.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 13, 2013 19:52 as a reply to  @ bubbygator's post |  #21

I always shoot in raw + small jpeg. I use the jpeg images to select the shots worthy of PP and to quickly review the day's shooting.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

auto-clicker
783 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 13, 2013 20:09 |  #22

When I shot film, my second home was the darkroom now that I shoot digitally my second home is the desktop corner...the only difference is the light are on, I won't get gassed but my eyes get really strained on big jobs :)

casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 13, 2013 20:19 |  #23

Always RAW, amount of PP varies.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 13, 2013 20:25 |  #24

I shoot raw on my 50D and 60D, raw+ljpg on my s100. I know as hard as I may try to capture the perfect image, I am a firm believer that the perfect image is one that is tweaked in post.

feedback

gear list

ejenner
Goldmember
3,800 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 13, 2013 20:29 as a reply to  @ casaaviocar's post |  #25

Always raw too. I once shot .jpeg with my T1i so that I had a bigger buffer in continuous shooting, but that was it.

If someone expects to see the shot SOOC I explain to them that the files are unprocessed and at least they don't have to wait days to get them developed as with film (I know there were 1 hour services, but still).

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 13, 2013 20:33 |  #26

Depends what I'm doing really. RAW out of the studio, but if I'm batching mundane stuff like products, I'll use the custom tone curve and shoot JPEG all day long.

I have no problems showing people the images SOOC, since they don't suck.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

captainkanji
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 14, 2013 03:15 |  #27

I shot RAW. The camera doesn't know what vision I have for the image. There isn't a computer in existence that can PP an image better than you. There's so many advantages for RAW. I have more flexibility to recover when I screw up exposure. In 10 years, when better algorithms come along, I'll still have the original info. I do shoot RAW+JPG on occasion for speed and social networking, but I never throw away the original image. This does come at the cost of extra time spent in front of the computer. With practice, my workflow has gotten better, but it's still time consuming.

Canon 6D, EF 135f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8 II USM, EF 50mm f\1.4 USM, EF 40mm f\2.8 STM, 430exII speedlite, Flashbender.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 14, 2013 04:19 |  #28

BioSci wrote in post #15712372 (external link)
I always shoot in raw + small jpeg. I use the jpeg images to select the shots worthy of PP and to quickly review the day's shooting.

You do realise that the raw file contains a full-size jpeg? You can use almost every image-viewing program to view this embedded jpeg for selection procedures. A zillion times easier than having to manipulate two different files for each image.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2013 06:29 |  #29

This is getting awfully close to the RAW V's JPEG debate. The choice to shot RAW or in camera JPEG really comes down to the situation. For professionals there are times when shooting JPEG makes sense. Event stuff, sports and even general journalism need the image off the camera and ready for the customer almost instantly, so you are not going to have time to do any PP work. There are other professional situations that apply where you control all the variables, say shooting products where you can set the PP in advance.

For everything else, which includes anything that would be shot by a serious amateur (please note that if you are shooting in a professional type situation for someone else then by my definition you are a professional even if you are not getting paid) then I can see no reason to shoot anything but RAW. It is really easy to get the embedded JPEG from the file, or you can always use DPP to do a default conversion, as it will simply apply all of the in camera settings to the image for you. I have almost always shot in RAW since I have had my 300D, although for a couple of years only had 1gb of storage so used JPEG when I needed to take a lot of images at one event. Since LR4 came out with Process 2012 I have been going back and reprocessing a lot of my older images and the difference is almost like having a camera upgrade. I now also ETTR, which I find very beneficial as I still shoot with the 300D as well as now with a 20D. In the case of ETTR I know that I am exposing the image in a way that will require a lot of work in PP to extract all of the information, and that the image on the review screen etc will not look good. The thing that I know is that the finished image will actually end up looking better. I now have a system for general shots that doesn't push the ETTR too far that I will generally have to worry about highlights, is consistent across all shots and can be processed by simply using LR presets. For the difficult stuff then yes I will work the exposure to push everything to where I really want it, but then will need to process every image individually. As others have said the modern "Darkroom" is a much nicer place to be, although I do miss it at times, mostly for B&W work, colour is much simpler in the digital domain though. I can do in hours now what was possible if I had had weeks in the darkroom.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2013 08:51 |  #30

I shoot raw and the process in ACR. I have set up defaults based on the camera and ISO used. Then just a question of tweaking and then final touches in Photoshop.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

4,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you setup your camera to use the image straight from the camera or rely on PP?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.