Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the next lens to buy for T4i/650D?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 14, 2013 14:47 |  #16

What focusing mode are you using?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 14, 2013 14:51 |  #17

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15715187 (external link)
What focusing mode are you using?

Manual mode. That's all I remember nw. I don't know if I switched in between to AV mode too. this happened a week ago.

T4i, Σ 17-50 f2.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 430EXII SpeedLite, LR4, DOLICA AX620B100

Lien
280 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 14, 2013 14:51 |  #18

robienyshe wrote in post #15715180 (external link)
It is not that I want to spend.. it's because I am trying to get good shot and I assumed getting out of kit lens might make a lot different. I am not saying that all pic that I took are bad. But when I want to get good shot it sometimes doesn't come out well.. for eg: I was trying to take quick shot at the kids school's event and when I checked it at home, some were blurry and some were ok few were good. I was using the 40mm f2.8 lens at the event. That's why I had this thought of buying new lens assuming to get good pictures.
Maybe I could use some pointers on how to get good shot with my current lens. I am a beginner and this is my first DSLR, that's why I was asking for some pointers on the settings.
Thanks.

The kit lenses are quite sharp in good light.

What mode are you shooting in and what are you shooting?

Canon 6D | Fuji X100 | Fuji XE-2 | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon EF 70-300 IS USM | 430EX | 270EX

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 14, 2013 14:53 |  #19

robienyshe wrote in post #15715201 (external link)
Manual mode. That's all I remember nw. I don't know if I switched in between to AV mode too. this happened a week ago.

No no, I am not talking about exposure mode. I am talking about which focus points are you using? The camera defaults to using all focus points and deciding what to focus on. Sounds like the camera may be focusing on something that want you want it to focus on. You should get the camera into single point AF and then move the box around to pick the right spot to focus on.

Don't let the camera make decisions for you that you cannot control.

Sam
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 14, 2013 15:18 |  #20

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15715210 (external link)
No no, I am not talking about exposure mode. I am talking about which focus points are you using? The camera defaults to using all focus points and deciding what to focus on. Sounds like the camera may be focusing on something that want you want it to focus on. You should get the camera into single point AF and then move the box around to pick the right spot to focus on.

Don't let the camera make decisions for you that you cannot control.

Ok I get the point. I don't think I did that. Need to check that point. Thanks for the tip.
How can you pls tell me what setting is best for low light, bright light ? Basically taking shots of family & kids both indoor and out door.
Thanks anyway:D:D

T4i, Σ 17-50 f2.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 430EXII SpeedLite, LR4, DOLICA AX620B100

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 14, 2013 15:59 |  #21

It is not that I want to spend.. it's because I am trying to get good shot and I assumed getting out of kit lens might make a lot different. I am not saying that all pic that I took are bad. But when I want to get good shot it sometimes doesn't come out well.. for eg: I was trying to take quick shot at the kids school's event and when I checked it at home, some were blurry and some were ok few were good. I was using the 40mm f2.8 lens at the event. That's why I had this thought of buying new lens assuming to get good pictures.
Maybe I could use some pointers on how to get good shot with my current lens. I am a beginner and this is my first DSLR, that's why I was asking for some pointers on the settings.
Thanks.

The fact that you didn't even know why you needed another lens (in the original/first post) makes me think you just want to spend. That's why you got some suggestions of more expensive lenses.

This is a different story now. I get the feeling that you will improve your shooting skills without spending a penny more on a new lens. There's nothing wrong with your current lenses selection. Good luck.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 14, 2013 16:25 |  #22

robienyshe wrote in post #15715300 (external link)
Ok I get the point. I don't think I did that. Need to check that point. Thanks for the tip.
How can you pls tell me what setting is best for low light, bright light ? Basically taking shots of family & kids both indoor and out door.
Thanks anyway:D:D

Oh boy, where to start.

OK... I read through your T4i manual. As long as you are in Av, Tv P or M modes, you can select your AF point. Start reading at Page 96. It tells you how to pick your AF point so that you can ensure that your subject is what's in focus. General rule of thumb is to ensure the eyes are in focus. You can do it either by using center point to focus the eyes and then recomposing or better yet, pick a focus point close to the eyes so that you can minimize your recomposition.

For low light, use the largest aperture you can get away with and use the wonderful 430 EX II flash that you have. Learn how to bounce flash off the walls (see the flash forum and read the stickies) so that you don't get harsh shadows.

For outdoors, sky's the limit. Read "Understanding exposure" to figure out how to creatively use aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the effect you are looking for.

So in summary, your problem is not that you have the wrong lenses. In fact the 18-55 and 55-250 are perfectly competent lenses. Get a 15-85 if you really want to - it is a phenomenal lens but I don't think that's going to increase your keeper rate. Your keeper rate will improve when you learn all the settings on your camera and ensure that you get it to do your bidding, instead of whatever it thinks is the right thing.

Sam
Gear List

dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 14, 2013 16:49 |  #23

Thanks.

Learn about fundamentals of photography, like exposure and composition. If you are getting blurry shots, keep your shutter speed higher to avoid camera shake.

There's nothing with the gear you have, even if you goto more expensive glass, they won't help as much as long your technique isn't right. Go through the lens sample archives of your lenses and you will see some brilliant shots taken using the lenses you already own.

Believe me, it takes practice and patience. I myself feel I have learned a little bit over the past year or so, but sometimes I take shots that are just emabarrasing and I challenge myself never to do it again.

When you go through your shots, don't just delete the bad ones, study them and compare them against good ones to see what you did wrong and avoid doing that in the field. If you practice enough it becomes your second nature, and you do it without thinking about it.

Amateurs worry about gear, professionals worry about technique and masters worry about light.

FWIW, just my two cents.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 14, 2013 17:46 |  #24

dochollidayda wrote in post #15715653 (external link)
Learn about fundamentals of photography, like exposure and composition. If you are getting blurry shots, keep your shutter speed higher to avoid camera shake.

There's nothing with the gear you have, even if you goto more expensive glass, they won't help as much as long your technique isn't right. Go through the lens sample archives of your lenses and you will see some brilliant shots taken using the lenses you already own.

Believe me, it takes practice and patience. I myself feel I have learned a little bit over the past year or so, but sometimes I take shots that are just emabarrasing and I challenge myself never to do it again.

When you go through your shots, don't just delete the bad ones, study them and compare them against good ones to see what you did wrong and avoid doing that in the field. If you practice enough it becomes your second nature, and you do it without thinking about it.

Amateurs worry about gear, professionals worry about technique and masters worry about light.

FWIW, just my two cents.

Hey that's a good advice.. thanks man.. I will remember that.. & thumbs up for saving my money!!!:D:D:D:D:D

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 14, 2013 17:48 |  #25

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15715560 (external link)
Oh boy, where to start.

OK... I read through your T4i manual. As long as you are in Av, Tv P or M modes, you can select your AF point. Start reading at Page 96. It tells you how to pick your AF point so that you can ensure that your subject is what's in focus. General rule of thumb is to ensure the eyes are in focus. You can do it either by using center point to focus the eyes and then recomposing or better yet, pick a focus point close to the eyes so that you can minimize your recomposition.

For low light, use the largest aperture you can get away with and use the wonderful 430 EX II flash that you have. Learn how to bounce flash off the walls (see the flash forum and read the stickies) so that you don't get harsh shadows.

For outdoors, sky's the limit. Read "Understanding exposure" to figure out how to creatively use aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the effect you are looking for.

So in summary, your problem is not that you have the wrong lenses. In fact the 18-55 and 55-250 are perfectly competent lenses. Get a 15-85 if you really want to - it is a phenomenal lens but I don't think that's going to increase your keeper rate. Your keeper rate will improve when you learn all the settings on your camera and ensure that you get it to do your bidding, instead of whatever it thinks is the right thing.

thanks man for going through all the details.. will keep trying out different settings.. & learn my gear..

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 14, 2013 17:50 |  #26

If you want better pictures, take that $800 and go on a mini trip to somewhere interesting.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 14, 2013 17:53 |  #27

tkbslc wrote in post #15715857 (external link)
If you want better pictures, take that $800 and go on a mini trip to somewhere interesting.

opps gonna save after all suggested...:lol:

sponsored links

3,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the next lens to buy for T4i/650D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.