Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone know how to do this???

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 13, 2013 21:32 |  #1

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,811 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 13, 2013 22:06 |  #2

You need layers & masks from a program like PS or PSE. Layer Masks. (external link)

And since that isn't your image, IMAGE POSTING RULES only allow you to post a link to it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

hyogen
Goldmember
1,985 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 13, 2013 22:08 |  #3

The guy is awesome..

justinleewedding.com (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Nikon D750x2, D610 / 20mm 2.8 / 24mm 1.4 / 35mm 1.4 / 45mm 2.8 PC-E / 50mm 1.8 / 58mm 1.4 / 55mm 2.8 micro / 85mm 1.8 / 70-200mm 2.8
50% off sample albums for photographers (external link)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 13, 2013 22:28 |  #4

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 13, 2013 23:34 |  #5

Well, it looks like people were running around with color lights and the guy and the girl got in three different poses so you see different streaks and colors, they either posed, moved quickly, then posed again (you can do that with long exposures) and, since you see some blur so I think it's a good chance they did that, or of course you can do "Photoshop magic" to get all kinds of wild stuff.

But, the one way to get a "double exposure" is to take a long exposure, have the subject pose for part of that, quickly move and pose again. While doing that process people going crazy with the colored lights could get that type of result.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,465 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 14, 2013 05:15 |  #6

It looks like a long exposure + three manually triggered flashes with different colored gels + simple "paint with light".

Elie / אלי

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 14, 2013 05:24 |  #7

Given that the pose/facial expression are all identical. I would say that is a single exposure of the couple that has been duplicated in Photoshop. My conclusion is supported by the fact that the background has also been duplicated. The light trails may have been done at time of exposure, but would have been easier to shoot separately to add in post.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 14, 2013 06:00 |  #8

Sorarse wrote in post #15713474 (external link)
Given that the pose/facial expression are all identical. I would say that is a single exposure of the couple that has been duplicated in Photoshop. My conclusion is supported by the fact that the background has also been duplicated. The light trails may have been done at time of exposure, but would have been easier to shoot separately to add in post.

It's more than the couple that's been duplicated in post-processing. The tree line in the background is equally triplicated.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

PhotosGuy
75,811 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 14, 2013 10:36 |  #9

chrismallet wrote in post #15712845 (external link)
I'm quite familiar with photoshop thanks, I was hoping to get something like this in camera. I know a few people who do something like this but they won't reveal the secret.

As has been said, a time exposure is one way. But in my experience, the results are usually "allmmooost" what I wanted. Try it both ways & see which gives the most accurate results.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 14, 2013 10:53 |  #10

hyogen
Goldmember
1,985 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 14, 2013 22:33 |  #11

I would love to learn to do this. I know how to do layer masks, but still not proficient with using layers. Anyone care to expound a little more on how to work with layers in post to do something like this? I'm not so concerned with getting it all SOOC.

Also, are fairy lights the best for light painting?

facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Nikon D750x2, D610 / 20mm 2.8 / 24mm 1.4 / 35mm 1.4 / 45mm 2.8 PC-E / 50mm 1.8 / 58mm 1.4 / 55mm 2.8 micro / 85mm 1.8 / 70-200mm 2.8

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2013 22:38 |  #12

Stroboscopic flash with different gels. The couple didn't move, the camera looks like it was rotated. As far as the streaks I'd imagine basic light painting doesn't need to be explained.
Hyogen, if you have a speedlight that allows stroboscopic settings, you are just setting the number of strobes and their firing interval. When the camera triggers the strobe, the timer will count down to the next flash, just change the gel and rotate the camera, or trip the flash manually each time.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 14, 2013 23:02 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #13

hyogen
Goldmember
1,985 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 14, 2013 23:07 |  #14

thank you. I think my SB-900 does have repeater mode--I'll check it out.

What do you mean by perfect circles, chris? You mean in his other pics the light orbs? This is probably not what you're asking about, but of course he uses a light at the end of a string and swings the string around.

Would like to see your example!

facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 14, 2013 23:39 as a reply to  @ hyogen's post |  #15

sponsored links

1,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone know how to do this???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.