Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 28-135 Slipping open

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 30, 2010 10:26 |  #16

Check out the 18-200's with OS/IS. Great option.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

sponsored links
Rayk
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 31, 2010 00:49 |  #17

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10815380 (external link)
I don't agree. It's softish, poor contrast, poor color saturation, cheap build. Middling in every respect. Too long on the short end on a crop. The reason Canon offered it as a kit lens is because it's very near the end of it's product life.

A great walk around lens is one of the 18-200's with IS from a variety of mfgs.

I've had one of these for years. I use it when I don't care if I destroy the thing. Which means I it gets used maybe once every long, long while.

J.

Kit lens??, are you sure, unless I missed the plot, we are talking about the EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM. (external link)

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

.Davis.
439 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 31, 2010 01:11 |  #18

Rayk wrote in post #10821066 (external link)
Kit lens??, are you sure, unless I missed the plot, we are talking about the EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM. (external link)

40D's have them as a kit lens....

http://www.adorama.com …aign=Other&utm_​term=Other (external link)

I love my 28-135, it takes great pictures. My copy does have lens creep, but I adjust my focal length every time I pick up/put down my camera.

Flickr (external link)
Gear:
Canon 6d | 430EX II | 35L | 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L
FUJIFILM X-A1 | XC16-50 OIS | XF18R
Canon AE-1 | Canon AE-1 Program | 50 1.4 S.S.C. | 35-105 | 70-210

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Aug 31, 2010 01:23 |  #19

Just to clear something up....the term kit lens simply refers to a lens that is included by the manufacturer with a body as a ready to shoot package. The 24-105L comes packaged with several bodies as well....there are very few that would argue the quality of that lens. There is nothing wrong with the 28-135. It is a decent lens and produces very respectable images. Anyone that says it is too long on a crop body and then turns around and says an 18-200 is a better choice is obviously blowing smoke out their a$$. If 135 is too long, how the hell can 200 be better? ROFL

As far as the lens creeping when you point it down, that is a common problem with more than one zoom. It doesn't mean the lens is broken or inferior, it just means that it creeps and you have to deal with it. You can hold the zoom ring, wrap a band of some sort around it to keep it stationary....whatever works for you. Continue taking photos with your lens and enjoy the output. I've taken a number of photos over the years with mine that have been published and that have won awards. Forget the gearhead talk and let your photos speak instead.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

CrazieCricket
Stupid wine.... *kicks box*
15,499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 31, 2010 01:27 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #20

+100^^^^^:D:D

Paula

Rayk
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 31, 2010 01:38 |  #21

Woolburr wrote in post #10821196 (external link)
Just to clear something up....the term kit lens simply refers to a lens that is included by the manufacturer with a body as a ready to shoot package. The 24-105L comes packaged with several bodies as well....there are very few that would argue the quality of that lens. There is nothing wrong with the 28-135. It is a decent lens and produces very respectable images. Anyone that says it is too long on a crop body and then turns around and says an 18-200 is a better choice is obviously blowing smoke out their a$$. If 135 is too long, how the hell can 200 be better? ROFL

As far as the lens creeping when you point it down, that is a common problem with more than one zoom. It doesn't mean the lens is broken or inferior, it just means that it creeps and you have to deal with it. You can hold the zoom ring, wrap a band of some sort around it to keep it stationary....whatever works for you. Continue taking photos with your lens and enjoy the output. I've taken a number of photos over the years with mine that have been published and that have won awards. Forget the gearhead talk and let your photos speak instead.

WELL SAID

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 31, 2010 09:05 |  #22

Biggest mistake I ever made was selling my 28-135. I got some fantastic shots with that lens, if I do say so myself...

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 31, 2010 15:02 |  #23

Wanna buy mine? It's as good as any I've seen and it's mediocre like the rest of them.

I'll make you a good deal on it.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 15, 2013 14:41 |  #24

I just got this lens w/ my 7d and it too has lens creep...glad i came across this thread...i was ready to return/exchange

I took several shots last night of my 1yr old cousin at the carnival and during post, found the images to be respectable...i was able to get clean, focusing just about 1-2ft

Side note, even @ 2000iso, my 7d performed well...doing some post this morning, found noise to be acceptable and was able to clear it up in LR4

binlu12
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 15, 2013 19:27 |  #25

My 18-200 does that too until I sent to Canon and they fixed it.

6D, 7DII, 1DII, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-200mm F/4L IS USM, 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, 600EX-RT
Feedback #3
Feedback #2
Feedback #1

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,030 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 15, 2013 19:49 |  #26

I used one for a long while on a 10D and a 30D. When I switched to a 24-70mm f/2.8L lens; the biggest difference was that the L lens produced a more contrasty shot.

I personally like the 28-135mm range on a 1.6x camera. I often used it (when I was shooting with a single camera) alongside a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina ATX. If I have to switch lenses, I'd rather do it for wider angle shooting because it seems like I usually have a bit more time to shoot images which require wider focal lengths.

I'd like to see a 28-135mm focal length lens with a constant f/4 aperture...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 15, 2013 22:18 |  #27

I fixed my zoom creep w/ 2 elastic hair bands

I wanna say theyre about 1.25-1.5" inside diameter (not stretched)

Simply slid them down the between the zoom & focus rings...creep is gone, zoom effort is smooth, can honestly barely see the "mod"

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 16, 2013 09:40 |  #28

[QUOTE=RPCrowe;1571970​5]

I'd like to see a 28-135mm focal length lens with a constant f/4 aperture...[/quote]

That would be a 24-105/4L IS. ;)

Seriously folks, if the zoom creep bothers you, just get a wide rubber band from your local grocer's produce dept. and use it to fix the zoom ring in place. There's also an online DIY tutorial how to fix it by putting some slightly thicker shim washers on the zoom ring. I don't have a URL, but bet you could find it with a Google search.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

3,980 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 28-135 Slipping open
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.