Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 02 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Newborn with my New 5dM3

jason2713
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 02, 2013 14:53 |  #1

Got to play with both my new babies this morning :)

I am new to a FF camera but have learned a bunch in the 3 days I've had it.

Only way to learn is to learn from failing over and over until you do it right. So am I getting close?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/085A8050_zpsa6​754983.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/085A8040_zps02​7a7c55.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …1original_zpsb9​4091aa.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 02, 2013 15:08 |  #2

Cute.
Pay attention to focusing on eyes of the dominant subject, then use narrower (Higher number) F stop.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 03, 2013 07:39 |  #3

samsen wrote in post #15669023 (external link)
Cute.
Pay attention to focusing on eyes of the dominant subject, then use narrower (Higher number) F stop.

I do put the focus between the eyes of the kid or the subject I'm trying to isolate. Most of these shots were at F2.8. Should I start higher? Say F4?

DarenM
673 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 03, 2013 07:48 |  #4

You are so close that even focusing between the eyes can put the eyes out of focus...with the 5DMKIII you should have enough like to raise your f stop a couple of stops...

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

hellokevin
385 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2013 23:51 |  #5

For #2, you should fix your white balance. You can do this in post.

For #3, it's underexposed. I see that you're using window light, which is a beautiful quality of light. Light hitting your subject with a dark background is a great way to create a dramatic picture with your subject being dominant. You could've easily brightened your picture up through the camera (ISO or shutter speed), or in post as well.

5D mk iii | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 16, 2013 08:14 |  #6

I dunno, I still aint getting it I think.

Here are a few more. I'm starting to get the hang of it...but I still feel like I'm not getting the focus right.

http://img.photobucket​.com …85A8589-3_zpsfc5b234b.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/085A8581_zpsb5​73fcf8.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/085A8316_zps37​ea150f.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/085A8265_zpsc8​5de6f4.jpg (external link)

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 16, 2013 09:37 as a reply to  @ jason2713's post |  #7

you might want to try to use the center focus point only when shooting for tac sharp eyes. the 5d3 also has the expansion option, so the focus points immediately surrounding the selected focus point also assist. it would definitely be a more precise way of shooting a relatively small area of focus (an eyeball, compared to the size of the frame). good luck.

also are you doing any post processing? i can't recommend lightroom 4 enough if you havent already started using it. do a google search once you have the program for julieanne kost, and click on the link for her lightroom video's. she offers very informative, in-depth, and accurate tutorials for using the program. my photography really started to make me happy once i started using lightroom. good luck.

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 17, 2013 13:13 |  #8

I'm finding with the 50mm 1.8 lens I'm using, I'm using too large of a aperture, with high-ish ISO (any where from 400 in good light to 8000-16000 in bad light) and fast shutter speed.

Sounds like I need to lower my aperture, use a slower shutter speed and lower ISO. My aperture is making it fuzzy because of such a shallow depth of field. I need to physically back up a bit, though that's not the pictures I'm going for. I'll need to get a zoom lens or a 35mm lens to get the looks I'm trying to get (close up with shallow depth of field)

t3ichef wrote in post #15721056 (external link)
you might want to try to use the center focus point only when shooting for tac sharp eyes. the 5d3 also has the expansion option, so the focus points immediately surrounding the selected focus point also assist. it would definitely be a more precise way of shooting a relatively small area of focus (an eyeball, compared to the size of the frame). good luck.

also are you doing any post processing? i can't recommend lightroom 4 enough if you havent already started using it. do a google search once you have the program for julieanne kost, and click on the link for her lightroom video's. she offers very informative, in-depth, and accurate tutorials for using the program. my photography really started to make me happy once i started using lightroom. good luck.

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 17, 2013 13:20 as a reply to  @ jason2713's post |  #9

i would set your max iso to between 4000 and 6000. thats plenty adequite indoors and the 5d3 will still look great at that iso. then turn iso to auto. place your camera in Av mode and set your aperture to 2.2 down to 4. the camera will automatically choose shutter speed. get a feel for shooting like this before you move to full manual mode. center focus point and focus on the eyes. underexposure will also bring noise or grainyness into your photos. i try to overexpose everything by 1/2-1 stop, especially shooting in snow or white clothes...etc.

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 18, 2013 06:57 |  #10

I was thinking of putting it full auto just to meter the environment to get an idea of what the camera would do.

I've been starting at aperture 4.0 in Av mode to get the white balance and shutter speed set automatically as well just to see what the camera does. Then I tweek from there. I just started doing that this weekend.

When you say "over expose" would you be adjusting your aperture or shutter speed?

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 18, 2013 07:45 as a reply to  @ jason2713's post |  #11

in Av mode you can set your cameras exposure compensation in fractional stop increments. i have a t3i so its different on a 5d3. its basically a bar that looks like a ruler. starts at zero in the middle and goes 1-2-3 on either side. scroll to that bar on the menu and use your scroll wheel to set the compensation. again not sure how it works on a 5d3 but you might have to click on that bar to set it to compensation, rather than bracket mode.

if you're shooting full manual, bracket mode could also help you. it takes 3 shots in rapid succession. one under exposed, one exposed with your settings, and one over exposed.

f4 is ok but slow indoors without good light. id start around f2.2 and shoot from there. to get a deeper DOF you can back up with the same apeture, and crop in post. good luck, i hope this is helpful.

Pshaun
75 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 18, 2013 09:07 |  #12

I definitely agree with whoever suggested using center focus point. I used to struggle with slightly soft focus until I started doing that. BTW Being a parent = coolest thing ever. Congratulations, may you enjoy every moment of parenting!

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 19, 2013 07:32 |  #13

t3ichef wrote in post #15727463 (external link)
in Av mode you can set your cameras exposure compensation in fractional stop increments. i have a t3i so its different on a 5d3. its basically a bar that looks like a ruler. starts at zero in the middle and goes 1-2-3 on either side. scroll to that bar on the menu and use your scroll wheel to set the compensation. again not sure how it works on a 5d3 but you might have to click on that bar to set it to compensation, rather than bracket mode.

if you're shooting full manual, bracket mode could also help you. it takes 3 shots in rapid succession. one under exposed, one exposed with your settings, and one over exposed.

f4 is ok but slow indoors without good light. id start around f2.2 and shoot from there. to get a deeper DOF you can back up with the same apeture, and crop in post. good luck, i hope this is helpful.

Thanks I'll try this, and post some results. I know how to slide the exposure up and down, I just always left it at the 0 point.

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 19, 2013 07:32 |  #14

Pshaun wrote in post #15727677 (external link)
I definitely agree with whoever suggested using center focus point. I used to struggle with slightly soft focus until I started doing that. BTW Being a parent = coolest thing ever. Congratulations, may you enjoy every moment of parenting!

I've been using the center focus, I think it has to do more with how far/close I am and the aperture I'm at.

jason2713
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 20, 2013 17:23 |  #15

http://img.photobucket​.com …/085A8649_zps6c​5589d2.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/IMG_6274_zpse6​7c5b1f.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

3,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Newborn with my New 5dM3
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.