Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 11 Feb 2013 (Monday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting the most out of my 70-200 f2.8 IS II

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 11, 2013 17:00 |  #1

Well, I took the bait and purchased this lens a number of months ago. However being amateur at photography, I'm getting the feeling that I've been making a number of mistakes with this lens. I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind learning from my own mistakes, but prefer to learn from others if I have the opportunity, so hence this thread. :)

I got a bit over excited with the large aperture and the bokeh. As such, I've taken a number of photo's (most) at f2.8 that have ended up been soft, or slightly out of focus. Trying to photograph my 2 y.o. daughter who never stops isn't easy. Having it on my 550D which doesn't have the fastest AF probably doesn't help either I'm guessing.

So I was wondering - does anyone have any hints / suggestions to get the most out of this lens - especially when it comes to portrait / people style photography?

I'm thinking from what I've observed so far that I should be shooting more at f4, or maybe f5.6 for sharpness in most situations, and only use f2.8 if the subject is either some distance away, and/or I'm only shooting one subject that is still so I have time to get the focus right. Does this sound about right, or does anyone have any other tips for getting the most out of this lens (or just using it correctly in the first place) ;)

Cheers

Adza

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 12, 2013 18:45 |  #2

So a couple points here. First, any lens, no matter how expensive, is going to be softer wide-open than a few stops down. That is the nature of light. Each lens has a sweet spot where the sharpness is maximized and then it softens in both directions. With more expensive glass this may be less noticeable but it is still there.

Next, you have depth of field to worry about. When you shoot wide open you are limiting the amount of area that is in apparent focus. When you focus on an eye at f2.8 at 200mm from 10 feet away with an APS-C camera, you only have about 3/4 inch of area in focus. This means the tip of the nose will be out of focus , the cheeks may be out of focus, the lips as well and certainly the ears. With a full frame camera that area is even smaller. And if the subject or the camera moves forward or back at all between the time you focus and the time you take the shot, nearly everything will be out of focus.

So what you need to do is use a depth of field calculator to get a good feel for how much depth of field you have at various apertures, focal lengths and distances. Make sure you give yourself enough room to get what you want in focus. That should solve most of your issues.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 15, 2013 18:17 |  #3

Thanks kfreels,

That information is very helpful. I'll go chase up a DOF calculator to help me understand how to best utilise this lens.

It's a fanstastic lens - the big problem I think is that being such an amateur, I have a lot to learn to give it jusice. :)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 17, 2013 02:06 as a reply to  @ adza77's post |  #4

I love mine, and I did the same thing when I first got it, shot everything at 2.8. Sure I missed focus on a few shots, but one of the main reasons I got it was to be able to shoot with the shallow depth of field. So practice practice practice and you will get better at making it work for you.

I use center point focus and recompose, plus I use back button focus. Both of these can make it harder to get accurate focus if there's any movement. But I have set up shoots where this is the only lens I use so that I can work on my technique and get better.

Like anything else in life, the more you work at it, the better you get. Have fun with it, it's a great lens.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 28, 2013 11:03 |  #5

http://dofmaster.com/d​ofjs.html (external link)

I think in your situation it's a combination of things, the 550D AF, and your technique. I shoot fast moving sports all at f/2.8, and it rarely misses focus. Practice, practice, practice.

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

Please 'Like' my fan page by clicking here (external link)

joeburke
114 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2013 13:19 |  #6

What shutter speeds are you using? Are you sure it's not motion blur?

joe.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 28, 2013 13:25 |  #7

rsieminski wrote in post #15661336 (external link)
http://dofmaster.com/d​ofjs.html (external link)

I think in your situation it's a combination of things, the 550D AF, and your technique. I shoot fast moving sports all at f/2.8, and it rarely misses focus. Practice, practice, practice.

Did you know that, if you have an Android phone, you can have the dofmaster calculator App. on the go for free. Not that you will use it on the spot but it is nice to have it handy at all time.

I like my 70-200 a ton b/c I always have distance to subject when I need it. I use it at f/2.8 all the time with no fear.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 16, 2013 14:34 |  #8

I may be wrong, but make sure the focus switch on the side of the lens is set accordingly for accuracy. It says 1.2m to infinity and 2.5m to infinity. I did that when I first got mine too and was getting bad pictures. Trying to focus on kids too close when it's set for 2.5m. It seems to help focus. I get sharp pictures with every focal length.

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

dballphotography
497 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 18, 2013 11:12 |  #9

Thats actually really helpful, thanks for the info (sorry to thread hijack) I was shooting a wedding the other day (as a guest and not as official tog) and looking back at the images, most are shot around f/4 and a lot of them a soft.

Dave
1 x Nikon D810 - 2 x Nikon D750 - Nikon 24-70 2.8G - Sigma 35mm 1.4Art - Sigma 50mm 1.4Art- Nikon 85mm 1.4G - Lots of lights and other stuffs.
www.dballphotography.c​om (external link)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 07, 2013 05:01 |  #10

shooting at 2.8 still results in sharp images where the focus is set to. I honestly use my lens at 2.8 majority of the time... unless I'm shooting group photos.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

Mozes
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Gallery: 604 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 07, 2013 05:34 |  #11

adza77 wrote in post #15614465 (external link)
Thanks kfreels,

That information is very helpful. I'll go chase up a DOF calculator to help me understand how to best utilise this lens.

It's a fanstastic lens - the big problem I think is that being such an amateur, I have a lot to learn to give it jusice. :)

I use this one sometimes
android
http://nl.appbrain.com …alculator/com.a​imenrg.dof (external link)

iphone
http://dofmaster.com/i​phone.html (external link)

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D5 * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD * Nikkor 200-400 F4 G ED VR * SB600 *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 11, 2013 07:56 |  #12

I found a couple awesome DOF calculators for Android One is called DOF calculator and the logo is grey with an F/8 on it. The other is called DoF Calc. the first is easier to use in my opinion.

Now as to the lens, if you have it at f2.8 and snaping at a non moving object, are the photos still soft? if so you may want to think about having the lens calibrated. I have an original v1 and after having Canon service it several weeks back, I cannot believe how sharp and in focus everything is, even at 2.8. The V2 should be even better. As mentioned, the cameras AF system may be also hindering you. I get far better photos with my used 5D2 than I did with my newer T3i.

blu3ness
40 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 17, 2013 22:29 |  #13

I think it depends on your artistic vision for the picture. If you really want to isolate the subject, say, for a headshot, then shooting wide-open will create a much more dramatic image.

There are cases where I think f4/f/5.6 would be better, for example sports or street photography

newporthomie
Goldmember
4,175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2013 15:59 |  #14

This lens is pretty Sharp at 2.8 - it can not be better

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8110/8525324132_c15ee45368_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/8​525324132/  (external link)
4O4C6168 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

Moselem
51 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 25, 2013 12:13 |  #15

I agree with the advice to practice with it. I have the previous version of the lens and find it pretty darn sharp. I'm sure choosing a two-year-old as your practice target didn't make things easier for you...lol. Might want to work with something a little more static until you're more comfortable with the lens.

Shot the image linked below with mine at f/2.8 this past weekend.

http://www.flickr.com …8680251619/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Josh Patterson Photography
Burbank Portrait and Headshot Photographer (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

11,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting the most out of my 70-200 f2.8 IS II
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.