Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2013 (Friday) 17:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering a T4i as my first?

Owlscape
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 15, 2013 17:34 |  #1

Hello everyone! Ahh, I'd like to start by saying this is my very first post in these forums. I admit I'm both new to these forums and the world of photography . So I'm as green as they come - little to no knowledge on anything. I just kindly ask not to laugh at me too much over my goofy newbie questions. (And of course if I'm posting in the wrong section I apologize and please feel free to correct me!)

I'm AJ and I've been considering on getting a DSLR camera for about 3 years now. I've read on and off about them - but not consistent enough for the information to stick. Which is why I keep rereading all the same subjects on google. This is the year I told myself I'm going to do it. I'm taking the plunge into getting a nice DSLR camera and getting my own stock images. I work as a freelance artist so I really like to take reference pictures of just about anything and everything to I can take it back home later to practice drawing or painting.

I've been doing some reading over the past couple of weeks and I've come to the conclusion on my own that I think a Canon T4i would be a nice starting camera. But before I make any hasty decisions I want actual input, tips, and advice from people who know the photography world. Who know the equipment and what to use for what subjects.

What am I looking to take most of my pictures of?

• I really like getting photos of still objects like a building, a parked car, a tree... Just some standard stuff. Now these I can do with any point and click camera - but I want more than just this.
  • I love taking pictures of my pets. I have 2 dogs and 4 rats. And as you can imagine animals - They love to move! It's really tough to catch them without constant blurring or grainy effects with my phone camera and point and clicker. I would love the option to take pictures when they're outside and indoors that's pretty low lit.
  • I would like to take pictures of wild life or just animals in general. I'd love to get snap shots of birds, squirrels, go to a farm just get basic shots of horses in motion? I also visit my brothers farm often - I've always wished I could get pictures of the deer that are far away! Just sit in a pasture and take pictures without spooking them. This is where I'm hoping to step up too.
  • I also get pretty bored sitting indoors all winter long. I don't get to go out much so I'm going to have a lot of dim room or low light pictures, I'm not sure how to counteract this? Doesn't help that I'm usually a night owl....
  • Also people, I personally love having pictures of events, friends, and family. So I need to personally learn how to take better people pictures.

My friend is letting me play more with her Nikon D3000 to play with and make sure I do want to upgrade to this level. And honestly? The more I play with it the more I'm getting addicted!

***Here are a couple of shots (external link) I took of my pet rats as practice. It's very hard to the the babies, they're complete blurs most of the time. But then again I have no idea what I'm doing and learning as I play with it.

I guess the advice I'm looking for... Do you guys think a T4i is a good place to start with a DSLR? Can I ask for advice on a couple of starter lenses? I'd really like to be able to zoom in on far off wildlife. Any suggestions on settings or how to keep it orderly? I'm not even sure on cases I should look at... I just know I'll be walking around a lot with this baby and I want it to be safe and secure.

As I learn more I'm currently making a wish list of DSLR needs so I can roughly estimate how much it will cost me to get started for this summer.

I'm not sure what else I should even be asking so please if you have any advice or pointers I'm happy to hear them out! Thank you for reading.

sponsored links
Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 15, 2013 18:20 |  #2

The Canon T4i is way better then the old Nikon D3000. The Nikon D3000 is the very basic camera that Nikon made in 2009. If you want to compare the Canon T4i you would have to go with the newest Nikon D3200. http://snapsort.com …-Rebel-T4i-vs-Nikon-D3200 (external link) What is your budget like? Are you looking to buy new or used?

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

Owlscape
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 15, 2013 18:34 |  #3

Oh that I figured for sure! My friend is just letting me mess around with this Nikon because I never had anything bigger than one of those Nikon "coolpix" things. She wanted me to get a feel for handling bigger cameras and look at the options and things. Which is very helpful.

From the stuff I've been reading a lot of them mention that Canon cameras are much better for taking pictures of things moving - like sports or animals? Which is really important to me so that's why I decided I think I better start off with a Canon and not get a Nikon. I may be reading wrong information so guys if it's wrong correct me.

My budget... I'm thinking I would be pretty happy with a $1500 USD budget? I can maaaybe stretch to $1800. It depends later this spring but I think $1500 is a safe bet for budget.

I personally don't even know where to begin shopping for used cameras, so I just figured I'd be buying new because I just don't know any better.

rodchan
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 15, 2013 18:36 |  #4

Thanks for posting this! Ia m in the same boat and I really want to start shooting good photos and I am hoping some members comment on this that have T4i's.

BUMP UP!

cbusjer
178 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 15, 2013 18:43 |  #5

I have a T4i. Check out my thread about falling in love with my 70-200 2.8 II. You'll see what a T4i can do. It's a great camera, and while I'm definitely upgrading and getting a 5d III soon, I'll keep my T4i around for nature shots (extra reach of the crop perspective).

If you're not worried about video and plan on mostly taking stills, I would get a T2i or T3i (very similar -- about the same sensor) and spend some saved money on good glass -- which is what helps more than a body to get good shots every time :-)

5D III Gripped | T2i Gripped | EF 70-200L 2.8 II | Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | EF 100mm Macro F2.8 | EF 50mm F1.8 | EF 85 F1.8 | 580EX II x 3 | Phottix Odin TTL x 3 |
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -- A.A.

filmjuicer
48 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 16, 2013 13:40 |  #6

I just bought my fiancée a T4i kit, and I have to say, it is one impressive little camera (even with the basic kit lens). I think the T4i would be a great first camera and it has a lot of cool technology. Of course, you may consider a 60D instead, but you'd only really gain a couple operational/ergonomic improvements, but you'd lose others like continuous-AF during video as well as the touch screen (plus the T4i has the newer DIGIC-5 processor).

For $1500, you could get a nice T4i setup--I would recommend the body with the 15-85mm IS lens, a good flash (like a 320EX or 430EXII), along with a decent tripod. That should still leave a little room for extras like bag, filters, remote, etc.

Sure you could look at T2i/T3i...BUT, the T4i has the newer DIGIC-5 processor, which means better ISO and low-light performance, plus it has a better AF system (all cross-type) and faster shooting speed (up to 5fps). All that plus the continuous-AF during video, to me, make it a better choice than the only slightly cheaper T2i/T3i bodies. (For example, T3i kit with the basic 18-55 lens is $580 at Amazon, while the T4i kit is just $650--seems like a no-brainer for only $70 more.)

cameraperson
811 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2013 13:42 |  #7

Get the t2i and lots of lenses and lights.

Xsi, 18-55

MikeD18
107 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 16, 2013 13:48 |  #8

I chose the T4i for my 1st DSLR...no regrets, so far. It seems every camera body has it's pluses & minuses. Canon is very crafty with it's marketing. You have to weigh your specific needs against what they offer. Somewhere, you'll find the right body. The T4i seems to be a good starting point JMO

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2013 14:14 |  #9

I got a T2i when it first came out as my first DSLR. Learned so much with it and really enjoyed it. Eventually got a 60d refurb from Canon and a T3i refurb from Canon (as a backup). I say that to say I don't think the newest Rebel, no matter what the model, is worth the price. The price drops on Rebels very quickly and they put out a new model basically every year with mostly modest updates.

I would take a T3i with a better lens over a T4i with a kit lens everytime. Just my .02, but you will be happy regardless, and welcome!!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

MikeD18
107 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 16, 2013 14:47 |  #10

I've found the 18-135STM kit lens to be a very nice walk around lens. The stepper motor AF designed for the T4i is quick and quiet. Wouldn't be surprised to see this technology incorporated into higher end bodies, in the future...not to mention the capacitive touch screen panel. Again, JMO.

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 16, 2013 15:02 as a reply to  @ MikeD18's post |  #11

I made up my mind when the price of the T4i dropped to $647. Haven't taken too many shots, but I like the T4i.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 16, 2013 16:01 |  #12

I am not going to recommend any specific camera or lens. Everything already mentioned would be a great start.

Read this, it is free and excellent: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

You might think your budget of $1,500 to $1,800 is enough but trust me, that will be only the beginning. I started at $2,500 and that was gone before I knew what happened.

I thought:
24mm would be wide enough, no it wasn't
200mm would be long enough, no it wasn't
f/2.8 would be fast enough, no it wasn't
built-in flash would be good enough, no it wasn't
a couple of CF cards would be enough, no it wasn't
cheap post processing program would be good enough, no it wasn't

Got the message yet?

Welcome to the wonderful, exciting and sometimes challenging world of DSLR photography.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

MikeD18
107 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 16, 2013 16:07 |  #13

Craign wrote in post #15722077 (external link)
I am not going to recommend any specific camera or lens. Everything already mentioned would be a great start.

Read this, it is free and excellent: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

You might think your budget of $1,500 to $1,800 is enough but trust me, that will be only the beginning. I started at $2,500 and that was gone before I knew what happened.

I thought:
24mm would be wide enough, no it wasn't
200mm would be long enough, no it wasn't
f/2.8 would be fast enough, no it wasn't
built-in flash would be good enough, no it wasn't
a couple of CF cards would be enough, no it wasn't
cheap post processing program would be good enough, no it wasn't

Got the message yet?

Welcome to the wonderful, exciting and sometimes challenging world of DSLR photography.

Try the guitar & gun worlds....same difference. :D

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 16, 2013 16:14 |  #14

MikeD18 wrote in post #15722095 (external link)
Try the guitar & gun worlds....same difference. :D

I don't have guitars but I do have a lot of toys that go "bang." Our hobbies have a way of taking every penny we can spare.

No kids so my retirement plan is to die broke. Enjoying life, I can't take it with me.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

MikeD18
107 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 16, 2013 16:17 |  #15

Craign wrote in post #15722121 (external link)
I don't have guitars but I do have a lot of toys that go "bang." Our hobbies have a way of taking every penny we can spare.

No kids so my retirement plan is to die broke. Enjoying life, I can't take it with me.

Ya got that right. :D

sponsored links

1,655 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering a T4i as my first?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.