Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 01:39
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "When do you set white balance."
I shoot RAW and worry about it in P.P.
56.5%
I shoot RAW but try to get it right in camera at the shoot.
33.1%
I shoot JPEG and try to get it right in camera
4%
I just leave it on Auto and take what the camera gives me.
6.5%
Other
0%

124 voters, 124 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White Balance - and when to worry about it?

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,557 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 16, 2013 11:53 |  #16

I like to "expose to the right" as often as possible, using custom WB makes it a lot easier to get a good dynamic range without blowing any one channel, which is usually that pesky red.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 16, 2013 13:15 |  #17

I shoot in RAW, do my best not to minimize white balance differences with multiple lighting sources (set ambient to cool so when combined with flash I can bring them back with universal controls and have them matching).

With fluorescent, mercury vapor, etc. I use a white piece of paper, business card etc to set a custom WB in camera so i've got a fixed reference point, then shoot everything, go into LR4 and have the software auto WB off of that, then out of those maybe 10% of my final images need minor WB tweaks. I've found just going with AWB in camera is far too in consistent, and will produce different values when LR4 does auto, than if I get it close and have LR4 go auto.

It's what's worked with the most success for me....I've got no clue how technically valid it is, but finding good comprehensive tutorials has been a difficult task so far.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 16, 2013 14:15 |  #18

Shoot RAW and worry about it later in PP. I have to worry about ISO, Aperture, and shutter so WB is kinda in my mind but in the back of it.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

KeyserSoze1
525 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 16, 2013 18:16 as a reply to  @ RHChan84's post |  #19

I don't shoot RAW anymore. Its Jpeg. I rely on AWB or cloudy WB for my pictures and they pop way better than any of my processed RAW images. Canon's newer JPEGS are so good.

Canon 5DM III, 35 1.4 II 50 1.2L
Canon 6D/// RX1

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 16, 2013 18:24 |  #20

Choice #1 here...

The technically correct WB is hardly ever the right WB for a given scene.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 16, 2013 18:34 |  #21

KeyserSoze1 wrote in post #15722449 (external link)
I don't shoot RAW anymore. Its Jpeg. I rely on AWB or cloudy WB for my pictures and they pop way better than any of my processed RAW images.

With is almost certainly indicative of your PP skills, rather than any inherent superiority of jpeg vs raw. It is always possible to process a raw file to produce a jpeg identical to what the camera would have produced at the time of shooting. Unless the shooting parameters were exactly optimal it is always possible to process a raw file to produce an jpeg superior to what the camera would have produced (although the difference may be minor).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 16, 2013 20:52 |  #22

My preference is this-I always use 5500K for outdoor shots because I like the effect of using a fixed Kelvin balance like the old slide films-color corrected shots made near sunrise or sunset do not look right to me. For indoors, I try to make the WB look as close as possible, and if the lighting has too many sources for a good mix, I convert to black and white.

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 16, 2013 20:57 |  #23

hollis_f wrote in post #15720784 (external link)
I never bother with a WB card. All that will give you is the accurate WB, which is rarely the correct WB.

I used to use a 18% grey card and noticed the same thing, it was correct to 18% grey but not to what I saw in person. So I had to tweak the WB after setting it to the card anyways. Seem kinda useless after a while, maybe i just had a bad card or something. Cant afford one of those multi colored cards yet, luckily I just do this for a hobby so I only have to make myself happy!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 16, 2013 21:04 |  #24

If you're shooting in raw, surely it makes no difference whether you adjust it in camera or in PP. So why take it off auto unless its obviously getting it completely wrong. Which it will with multiple light sources...

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

robonrome
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 16, 2013 21:38 |  #25

hollis_f wrote in post #15720784 (external link)
I never bother with a WB card. All that will give you is the accurate WB, which is rarely the correct WB.

I like this. Says exactly what I think about white balance but more simply than I could have said.

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,739 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 16, 2013 22:54 |  #26

Snydremark wrote in post #15721283 (external link)
RAW, set WB to closest preset for current light; correct in post if it's too far off. It's one of the least concerning parts about taking the photo, for me.

+1 to this.

Mark

learncanon
172 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 17, 2013 01:44 |  #27

i dont care abt WB because I shoot RAW. I tune it when I get to LR4.

This gives me more brain power to frame, compose and seek for good lighting and moment which are more important elements in a photograph.

KeyserSoze1
525 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 17, 2013 08:24 as a reply to  @ learncanon's post |  #28

hollis_f wrote in post #15722497 (external link)
With is almost certainly indicative of your PP skills, rather than any inherent superiority of jpeg vs raw. It is always possible to process a raw file to produce a jpeg identical to what the camera would have produced at the time of shooting. Unless the shooting parameters were exactly optimal it is always possible to process a raw file to produce an jpeg superior to what the camera would have produced (although the difference may be minor).

This is true.

For me, personally, I like skipping the RAW work flow. My thing is to get it right in camera and post the images the same day. Granted not everything is perfect but those minor adjustments are easily handled adjusting levels.

I used to shoot RAW all the time but its tedious, I learned how to get it right for the most part in camera and my life became a lot more easier. I only shoot RAW now when I know the lighting is going to be tricky where highlights may be blown or shadows may be too dark.

Canon 5DM III, 35 1.4 II 50 1.2L
Canon 6D/// RX1

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,597 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 17, 2013 08:53 |  #29

KeyserSoze1 wrote in post #15723996 (external link)
This is true.

For me, personally, I like skipping the RAW work flow. My thing is to get it right in camera and post the images the same day. Granted not everything is perfect but those minor adjustments are easily handled adjusting levels.

I used to shoot RAW all the time but its tedious, I learned how to get it right for the most part in camera and my life became a lot more easier. I only shoot RAW now when I know the lighting is going to be tricky where highlights may be blown or shadows may be too dark.

So, how do you avoid light cycling?

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 17, 2013 09:25 |  #30

Zivnuska wrote in post #15724056 (external link)
So, how do you avoid light cycling?

What do you mean by "light cycling"?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

3,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
White Balance - and when to worry about it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.