Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

where can i get cheap aftermarket batteries for my 5d3?

NemethR
867 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 17, 2013 03:12 |  #46

What I don't understand, you buy a $3000+ Camera, and then try to save $70, and buy cheap batteries for it?!

Its like buying a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, and putting some crap Hama filter on it...

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,655 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 17, 2013 03:18 |  #47

^No it isn't... battery technology isn't some mystical thing that only Canon can get right, the fact that they charge $70 for a battery is insulting. Li-ion technology is getting cheaper, easier and more efficient to produce, prices should be going down, not up. So I'll happily use my Wasabi batteries until they die, and when and if they do, I'll get more because 2 of them is half the cost of 1 Canon battery.

I'll also use Samyang and Sigma lenses because they too prove that you don't have to fork over your entire paycheck to have good shots ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 17, 2013 04:11 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15723580 (external link)
^No it isn't... battery technology isn't some mystical thing that only Canon can get right, the fact that they charge $70 for a battery is insulting.

Same can be said about filter but, I mean it's just a piece of glass....how dare B+W charge so much :p

Fact is buying aftermarket has its risk, and I have no problem using one in say a P&S, but personally I think it's too much on the line for a $3k camera.

Personally I'd rather pay a little bit more for peace of mind. It's better be safe than sorry.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,370 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 17, 2013 06:06 |  #49

kin2son wrote in post #15723617 (external link)
Same can be said about filter but, I mean it's just a piece of glass....how dare B+W charge so much :p

Really? You don't know much about filters either.

My dad used to say buy cheap buy often, this is not always the case with batteries. The sterling ones mentioned here are fine.

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 17, 2013 06:08 |  #50

Its been a year since I looked for aftermarket batteries... do they charge in the Canon charger and display battery info nowadays?

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,335 posts
Gallery: 447 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 17, 2013 07:46 |  #51

*Jayrou wrote in post #15723784 (external link)
Its been a year since I looked for aftermarket batteries... do they charge in the Canon charger and display battery info nowadays?

The Sterling Tek ones do. $14.99 each at Amazon

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 17, 2013 07:51 |  #52

LoneRider wrote in post #15723911 (external link)
The Sterling Tek ones do. $14.99 each at Amazon

Thanks for that,They don't seem to be available on Amazon UK.. or Ebay UK.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 17, 2013 07:59 |  #53

*Jayrou wrote in post #15723918 (external link)
Thanks for that,They don't seem to be available on Amazon UK.. or Ebay UK.

Iv'e searched for Sterling Tek here in the UK, but no luck.

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 17, 2013 11:48 |  #54

Canon is missing an opportunity with some of you guys by not private labeling PNY flash memory cards so you could all buy "genuine Canon" memory cards at 200% markup to go with your 5DIII's.

Tom

Copper ­ NYC
386 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 17, 2013 12:27 |  #55

bw!

RTPVid wrote in post #15724539 (external link)
Canon is missing an opportunity with some of you guys by not private labeling PNY flash memory cards so you could all buy "genuine Canon" memory cards at 200% markup to go with your 5DIII's.

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,655 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 17, 2013 13:19 |  #56

kin2son wrote in post #15723617 (external link)

Fact is buying aftermarket has its risk, and I have no problem using one in say a P&S, but personally I think it's too much on the line for a $3k camera.

Personally I'd rather pay a little bit more for peace of mind. It's better be safe than sorry.

Yea, there's a risk of them dying prematurely, which to me isn't a big deal for what I'm paying for them. Wasabi Power has been around for a while, they're a big enough business that if something catastrophic was happening to their batteries, people would know about it. I've used their batteries in several of my devices in the past with zero issues, so stop assuming the worst ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Condotierri
58 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 17, 2013 16:11 |  #57

If you have some hesitation about the non-Canon batteries, you can use them in a 60D/7D to build some confidence. My 60D donated it's Canon battery to its bigger brother and the 60D just uses non-branded batteries these days.

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 17, 2013 17:46 |  #58

Edshropshire wrote in post #15716108 (external link)
Good point, I always hear about bad batteries destroying a camera but have yet to read a real story from someone who had it happen to them. I did read a few experiences people had several years ago when the 7D came out of a few (only a few) of 3rd party batteries swelling and being a little hard to remove. Not impossible to remove or causing any camera damage. That said, I personally don't have a problem with good 3rd party batteries like Sterling Tek, have had good success with their batteries. But I have also read of people having great success with cheaper batteries.

So no proof about batteries killing peoples camera? lol

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 17, 2013 21:26 |  #59

Lichter21c wrote in post #15715792 (external link)
Not always. For the bodies you spend X ammount for features and options. But if I can save 832 dollars on batteries I will do it every single time.

Sometimes paying the OEM price is worth it. Other times It is not.

Hmmm...I "saved" soooo much money buying aftermarket batteries only to have them die within the first couple months of use...the original OEM still shows >95% charge performance?
Yep. I made the MISTAKE of buying ALL 3rd party batteries for all of my cameras, and went through nothing but headache.
I ended up buying only OEM, will only buy OEM now, and it cost me MORE in the long run vs just getting OEM in the first place.
Once I started relying on my gear to make me $, it became a non issue.. ;)

Trust me, there IS a reason why a $8 battery costs $8. And no, Canon's/Nikon's batteries are NOT made in that same factory that the $8 ones are...

My point is....
If you DEPEND on your equipment to earn you $, BUY OEM and never look back. And you will be happier you did.
If you are a casual shooter, soccer parent, whatever, save yourself some $ and buy 3rd party.
It is that simple.

To each his own...but that is my take on it.

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 17, 2013 21:28 |  #60

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15724850 (external link)
Yea, there's a risk of them dying prematurely, which to me isn't a big deal for what I'm paying for them.

HELLO!!
If you have to replace that $20(whatever) 3rd party batter every 3 months, and an OEM will last you one year, how much are you really saving?? oh, right..nothing. it actually costs MORE in the long run :confused:

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

sponsored links

7,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
where can i get cheap aftermarket batteries for my 5d3?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.