Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Mar 2013 (Friday) 13:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do people not reply to post with bad spelling?

DigitalDon
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 08, 2013 18:13 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15692710 (external link)
If speeling were an important aspect of staying on this forum,. well, I'd be in trouble.

I like your avatar, that's my hero.

(EOS RebelT3i EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Kit) (EFS 55 - 250 mm lense f/4-5.6 IS II) (YONGNUO YN 565EX flash)

sponsored links
team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 08, 2013 22:04 |  #17

Spelling errors? I don't care. Its a mistake or you did't know how to spell the word.
making up ridiculous ways to spell words incorrectly onpurpose pisses me off.....(unless its for comedic value such as the post a few above)

My 500px (external link)

DigitalDon
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 08, 2013 22:31 |  #18

Jon wrote in post #15693276 (external link)
This!

Unfortunately, it's not. Some members seem to be sadly confused and think that they're at Lexicography-on-the.net, not Photography-on-the.net. That's their loss. Most of us don't care how well you spell, or type, just how much you care about learning to take the best photos you are capable of.

If someone gives you a hard time over your spelling, report it to us and we'll make them start posting in Finnish (Pekka, who owns POTN, is Finnish). :{)#

Now that I think about it, I don't believe he had any ego trips when he sent me the PM, he even put a :-P at the end of the message.
I have had a bad two and a half days of the stomach virus, won't go into details but I think you all know what I'm talking about, and if not then just give it time because it is spreading like wildfires. I think I was just looking for some body to shoot so to speak.
I apologized to him and he accepted it so alls well now.

(EOS RebelT3i EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Kit) (EFS 55 - 250 mm lense f/4-5.6 IS II) (YONGNUO YN 565EX flash)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 11, 2013 11:22 as a reply to  @ DigitalDon's post |  #19

Interesting.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2013 11:29 as a reply to  @ post 15692397 |  #20

I'd rather get responses from folks who care more about photography than my spelling. If I miss getting a couple because they're that anal... no great loss.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 11, 2013 21:04 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #21

If it's one or two words then I don't care, but if it's bad enough that I have to think about what they're trying to say, then I'll skip it. This is especially true for people who don't at least try to use proper punctuation like never using periods I mean just trying to write these last two sentences is torture on my right ring finger because it really wants to hit the period key but I digress the lack of punctuation makes things really hard to read

For example, I only made it about 3 words into gjl711's post before I just skipped it, and I even knew he or she was trying to be funny. (and I don't mean this to be a dig against gjl711)

Now, all this goes out the window if the person doesn't speak english as a native language. I'll go out of my way to help them if that's the case.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 11, 2013 21:09 |  #22

Does having keyboard in mouth disease count?

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 12, 2013 14:11 |  #23

I agree with everyone. The idea of having to spell everything correct is ridiculous. And I can't believe there are people out there would be bothered by lens being spelled lense.

The spelling police are downright silly, but I must admit, I do tend to gloss over posts that are 20 lines of one run-on sentence...or when I can't even begin to understand what it is the person is trying to say. It's not to be rude, it's just hard to read/decipher what it is they are trying to communicate, so I don't reply and simply move on.

Bryan

My Gear List

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2013 18:35 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #24

The field here is photography! Spelling "lens" as "lense" is just insulting. One might as well spell the camera brand as "Cannon"!

That being said, bad grammar offends me much more than bad spelling.

It is the writer's job to make his post a pleasure to read, not a chore. If someone tries, especially a non-native poster, I will bend over backwards to help. However, if I perceive that someone doesn't care enough to try, then I ignore him and move on.

It's all a matter of how much respect the writer has for me, the reader. If he has none, then he gets none.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 12, 2013 19:30 |  #25

If I misspell a word, the POTN software underlines it. I don't know if this is because my laptop is set up with spell correct or if everyone sees the same thing if they mistype or misspell a word.

I remember the first time I showed up here, I noticed when I typed "lense", the software warned me of the misspelling so I looked it up. It wasn't a lot of trouble.

As far as this thread itself, I think a PM is more gentle than being addressed/corrected in an open thread. I think the PM-er was most likely being polite.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 12, 2013 19:42 |  #26

bps wrote in post #15707091 (external link)
I agree with everyone. The idea of having to spell everything correct is ridiculous. And I can't believe there are people out there would be bothered by lens being spelled lense.

Correct spelling is not ridiculous. Just because they're being posted online in a forum shouldn't mean that common practice / sense is all lost.

If you were speaking to someone face to face I imagine you wouldn't knowingly use incorrect words or terms to explain something.

However, people who go out of their way to make it a big deal is ridiculous

My 500px (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 15, 2013 12:12 |  #27

Phoenixkh wrote in post #15708380 (external link)
If I misspell a word, the POTN software underlines it. I don't know if this is because my laptop is set up with spell correct or if everyone sees the same thing if they mistype or misspell a word.

I remember the first time I showed up here, I noticed when I typed "lense", the software warned me of the misspelling so I looked it up. It wasn't a lot of trouble.

As far as this thread itself, I think a PM is more gentle than being addressed/corrected in an open thread. I think the PM-er was most likely being polite.

That's not the POTN software, that is most likely Firefox if you are using that as your browser. My laptop does the same thing, but my work computer doesn't underline anything (windoze explorer)

Anyway, a word misspelled.. who cares. It is when a poster writes a post like he is from a third world country just learning english for the first time, yet his profile says he is from Iowa or someplace in the USA. In those cases I don't even bother replying even if I have an answer.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,288 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 15, 2013 12:22 |  #28

mikeinctown wrote in post #15718287 (external link)
. It is when a poster writes a post like he is from a third world country just learning english for the first time, yet his profile says he is from Iowa....

Um... Iowa is a third world country. ;):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2013 14:34 |  #29

gjl711 wrote in post #15718313 (external link)
Um... Iowa is a third world country. ;):)

From a Texas point of view, sure. But that's Texas.

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 17, 2013 21:11 |  #30

If a post contains a few minor spelling or grammatical errors, I don't mind. I figure it's just a typo or something. However, if the post has every word misspelled and seems illogical, then I'll ignore it. People make mistakes, no need to crucify someone over spelling "lens" incorrectly.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

4,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do people not reply to post with bad spelling?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.