Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 17 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 100D - 'Mini-Rebel'

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 17, 2013 23:39 |  #1

http://www.canonrumors​.com …0d-detailed-specs-appear/ (external link)

What's the point?

So, it's smaller than the current crop of SLRs, but still much larger than any of the mirrorless systems it's competing against, and the lenses are larger, too. And it seems like they're still using the same old 18MP sensor they've been using since 2009, which has been surpassed by everyone else...

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2013 23:50 |  #2

Shadowblade wrote in post #15726746 (external link)
http://www.canonrumors​.com …0d-detailed-specs-appear/ (external link)

What's the point?

So, it's smaller than the current crop of SLRs, but still much larger than any of the mirrorless systems it's competing against, and the lenses are larger, too. And it seems like they're still using the same old 18MP sensor they've been using since 2009, which has been surpassed by everyone else...

Yup. I still want to play with one.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Markd102
649 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 18, 2013 00:18 |  #3

I don't get it either... the 1000D is already tiny.
And the name (although unconfirmed) is confusing too.

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2013 01:42 |  #4

Well, it is indeed the smallest APS-C DSLR on the market. There's something to be said for that. Still, I can't imagine that Canon actually thinks this is going to be a mirrorless competitor. It'll likely sway some people over to the SLR side who were pondering mirrorless, but it'll have nowhere near enough an effect to justify Canon ditching the EOS-M line. (Not that it's not justified in other ways, of course.)

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 18, 2013 02:29 |  #5

I'm guessing it is a typo and it's the 1200D/T4.

It's about time for that model to be refreshed and that's would be the model just below (and just lighter) than the t4i/650D.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 18, 2013 06:00 |  #6

EOS100D?

E0S10000D is more like it.
Or EOS10k for short.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 18, 2013 20:33 |  #7

Absolutely zero interest in this for me.

If I'm going to take a DSLR with the big lenses, I'll take my 5D. If I want something tiny when I'm not concerned about IQ, I'll grab the S100. For travel, I'll take something that has a small body and SMALL LENSES while still offering near or at DSLR quality pics: M4/3 or NEX...this seems to be out in No Man's Land...

However, it'll likely sell really well to the dumb masses who think they NEED a DSLR for good image quality, and will never buy anything other than the kit lens for this thing...the people who would be much better off with a good quality P&S, but hey...that doesn't look nearly as impressive in your Facebook photos...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Jan ­ Jasinski
Goldmember
3,003 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 18, 2013 21:38 |  #8

Another pointless rumour... I see it go nowhere, it's definitly not in demand or ever been mentioned.
What photogs want is a new 7D and 60D along with some lenses (400 f/4, 100-400) etc.

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2013 12:21 |  #9

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15730133 (external link)
Absolutely zero interest in this for me.

If I'm going to take a DSLR with the big lenses, I'll take my 5D. If I want something tiny when I'm not concerned about IQ, I'll grab the S100. For travel, I'll take something that has a small body and SMALL LENSES while still offering near or at DSLR quality pics: M4/3 or NEX...this seems to be out in No Man's Land...

However, it'll likely sell really well to the dumb masses who think they NEED a DSLR for good image quality, and will never buy anything other than the kit lens for this thing...the people who would be much better off with a good quality P&S, but hey...that doesn't look nearly as impressive in your Facebook photos...

Hmm ... I'd think a t4i with a decent kit lens like the new 18-135 STM is going to have better IQ than a typical P&S. it certainly will work better in low light.

I'd also think there is a market for a APS-C sensor in a tiny DSLR body for hobbyists - not everybody wants to lug around a gripped 5D III all the time. You know you are on an enthusiast site when you hear things like "that 7D is just too small for me" and "everybody is waiting for a 400 f4". :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2013 12:25 |  #10

jrbdmb wrote in post #15732277 (external link)
Hmm ... I'd think a t4i with a decent kit lens like the new 18-135 STM is going to have better IQ than a typical P&S. it certainly will work better in low light.

I'd also think there is a market for a APS-C sensor in a tiny DSLR body for hobbyists - not everybody wants to lug around a gripped 5D III all the time. You know you are on an enthusiast site when you hear things like "that 7D is just too small for me". :)

But mirrorless bodies (and their dedicated lenses) are even smaller and lighter, and most have better image quality, too (especially those based on the Exmor 24MP sensor, which seems to have found its way into quite a few bodies).

chongkiat
287 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 21, 2013 03:50 |  #11

Shadowblade wrote in post #15732291 (external link)
But mirrorless bodies (and their dedicated lenses) are even smaller and lighter, and most have better image quality, too (especially those based on the Exmor 24MP sensor, which seems to have found its way into quite a few bodies).

But u need to consider the price ;)

Canon 60D Gripped | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580exII
My Flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,639 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 21, 2013 08:36 |  #12

Announced as Rebel SL1...

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …is_stm_kit#Spec​ifications (external link)

chrise17
75 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 21, 2013 10:07 |  #13

I think it will be great but would have liked an articulating/swivel screen added.
Have the 650D at present thats to be discontinued.
Wont change cameras.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2013 10:08 |  #14

chrise17 wrote in post #15739455 (external link)
I think it will be great but would have liked an articulating/swivel screen added.
Have the 650D at present thats to be discontinued.
Wont change cameras.

Goal was small as possible and swivel screen makes it thicker.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

ivanatora
99 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 21, 2013 10:17 |  #15

If they sell a pink version it would be an instant hit :)

Canon EOS 50D+ML;
Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon EF-S 55-250 IS; Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM; Samyang 35 f/1.4 US AMC

sponsored links

11,883 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 100D - 'Mini-Rebel'
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.