Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Mar 2013 (Monday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help to make my 5D2 wireless?

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 18, 2013 08:27 |  #1

Hey guys, got a question. I've been hearing a lot about these EyeFi cards and what naught. Can you guys explain to me if it's possible to get that all set up to make my 5D2 automatically send pictures to my laptop from within the same room/hall?

If it's possible, what are the technical parts that I should care about? Do I need to set up a shared network hotspot with my iPhone? Also, EyeFi cards are SD, right? So no compact flash cards? Will an adapter work?

Cheers!
Zexun

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 18, 2013 08:55 |  #2

Yes, they're SD only. An adapter might work (some do, some don't). Their literature says that you'd need a WAP; I've seen reports of card models that didn't. Maybe they've been discontinued or maybe those were ones somebody figured a work-around for. Don't expect blistering speed, and don't try to transfer the RAW files. The basic cards only do JPEG so you wouldn't have to worry about that particular issue; the more expensive ones add RAW transfer. Be aware that even the ones that claim geotagging rely on the "official" location of the wireless access point, and an Internet connection, to establish the location. So if your access point is normally at your home, but you take it to a gig, the geotagging would only function if it was able to look up the location of your network, and even then would assume it was at your home, not at the site of the shoot.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 18, 2013 09:28 |  #3

This looks like an interesting option.

http://www.camranger.c​om/ (external link)

I don't know anything more than I read on their website. Doesn't require an existing wifi network and works currently with iPhone and iPad. Beta version of OSX is available with other support coming soon.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Apex174
206 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 20, 2013 12:50 |  #4

I just got the CamRanger, I think it's cool. I haven't explored the client view for remote image transfer, but when they did the demo, it was impressive. I may use it in the future. I think the images stay on the camera and not transfer to the iPad.

Keep in mind the CamRanger is only for "i" devices (ipad, iphone...etc.) & android. Not sure of a laptop link up.

I primarily will use it for the remote camera operation capability and time lapse.

5D-II + III, 400D w/ BG-E3 & 40D w/ BG-E2
50 1.8, 17-85 IS USM, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS
430EX, 580EXII

Pi_314
365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2013 13:30 |  #5

The Camranger is the way to go, if you can swallow the three hundred dollar price tag, and it is limited for now to Apple products, and maybe only to the IPhone and IPad. Android and Windows are not to far in the distant future.

I've use the EyeFi card, but wasn't feeling the love, so it's been a dust collector since after the first week of owning it.

Keedo
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 20, 2013 13:40 |  #6

Not intending to steal this thread but will the eyefi work with my T3i?

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 20, 2013 15:19 |  #7

Keedo wrote in post #15736456 (external link)
Not intending to steal this thread but will the eyefi work with my T3i?

yep.

Keedo
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 20, 2013 17:19 |  #8

caoko wrote in post #15736757 (external link)
yep.

Thanks!

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links

1,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help to make my 5D2 wireless?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.