Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 02:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto 190 or 055 cxpro

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 06, 2013 12:23 |  #31

as a 6'1" Manfrotto 190XB(4.79 non center column) owner; I'm happy with the height.

I don't constantly look through viewfinder it once it's setup though; mostly setup and verify focus/composition via live view before snapping away with external release.

[6D]

sponsored links
Agged
279 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 09, 2013 10:54 |  #32

hollis_f wrote in post #15678213 (external link)
I really cannot believe this. The 190CX3 has a maximum height of 120cm (with the column down, essential for stability). That's 4 foot. You must really enjoy bending over if you think this is 'plenty tall'.

I hear what you are saying hollis_f but in reality, although I am 6'2", my eyes are only 5'9". With the ballhead and camera aboard, the viewfinder is 4'7". At that height, I find it very comfortable to use. Although I have never felt the need to raise the center column, one could, if desired, raise it halfway (5" or 6") putting the viewfinder at 5'2" or 5'3". This appears to have no effect on stability at all. The required 6" bend over is a non issue, to me anyway, and the portability of this tripod more than makes up for that. :D

Flickr (external link)
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …rch.php?searchi​d=27565292

RGomezPhotos
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 10, 2013 17:36 as a reply to  @ Agged's post |  #33

I'm in the same boat and will probably get the 055. The only reason I would get the 190 is if I went on multi-day camping trips where I am walking a lot AND using a relatively small lens. But for studio, location photoshoots and day-hikes with a big lens, the 055 is it for me.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 11, 2013 05:32 |  #34

RGomezPhotos wrote in post #15699484 (external link)
I'm in the same boat and will probably get the 055. The only reason I would get the 190 is if I went on multi-day camping trips where I am walking a lot AND using a relatively small lens. But for studio, location photoshoots and day-hikes with a big lens, the 055 is it for me.

I've part exchanged my alloy 055 for a carbon version and I'm amazed at how light it is.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

iLynx
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 11, 2013 11:30 |  #35

Ok so I purchased the 055 and took it to SoCal this past weekend. I used it all over and it was fantastic. I love it. Very sturdy and incredibly light. I set it on the shore of Huntington Beach with some pretty big waves and it didnt budge. Pictures turned out beautifully also. I highly recommend!

5D2 // 7D // 50 1.4 // 85 1.8 // 135 L // 100mm Macro // 17-40 L //24-105 L // 70-200 2.8 IS II L // Canon 430 EX II // Kenko Extension Tubes
Website (external link): Facebook (external link): Flickr (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 17, 2013 17:39 |  #36

DavidR wrote in post #15655186 (external link)
Benro and Induro.

Hate the benro - I had the Benro Travel Angel - folds down really small- but the screw way of tightening the legs did not work very well - I had to tighten them so hard my hands hurt after a while - and still, sometimes,when I got the tripod set up, I found it slowly tilted to one side as a leg shortened under the weight of the 7D and 100-400.

Gave it to my daughter, and replaced it with a new English make - the 3 legged thing.

Took this one on a photographic holiday to Poland in February - similar problem - ended up hand-holding the above combo, and using the tripod as a very expensive walking stick.

We were in -10 and lower - and again, the screw legs didn't hold well, as well as making the tripod very slow to adjust in height etc- and the centre column not as versatile as the Manfrotto's.
The hook at the bottom of the column unscrewed itself twice and eventually I lost it in deep snow - and the ball head suffered from bad creep.

Have now got the Manfrotto 055 cxpro and will be getting a Markins Q10 head to go with it.

Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2013 04:35 |  #37

hania wrote in post #15725717 (external link)
Hate the benro - I had the Benro Travel Angel - folds down really small- but the screw way of tightening the legs did not work very well - I had to tighten them so hard my hands hurt after a while - and still, sometimes,when I got the tripod set up, I found it slowly tilted to one side as a leg shortened under the weight of the 7D and 100-400.

Gave it to my daughter, and replaced it with a new English make - the 3 legged thing.

Took this one on a photographic holiday to Poland in February - similar problem - ended up hand-holding the above combo, and using the tripod as a very expensive walking stick.

We were in -10 and lower - and again, the screw legs didn't hold well, as well as making the tripod very slow to adjust in height etc- and the centre column not as versatile as the Manfrotto's.
The hook at the bottom of the column unscrewed itself twice and eventually I lost it in deep snow - and the ball head suffered from bad creep.

Have now got the Manfrotto 055 cxpro and will be getting a Markins Q10 head to go with it.

Many here seem to dislike the lever clamp leg locks, but I much prefer them - you know when its locked!

Richard

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2013 06:05 |  #38

Lowner wrote in post #15727162 (external link)
Many here seem to dislike the lever clamp leg locks, but I much prefer them - you know when its locked!

You must have very well trained bag straps, camera straps and cables. When I used a 055 I could be absolutely certain that, if I put the tripod in the boot of the car, when it came time to use it there would be at least two straps or cables caught on the leg releases.

When I swapped it for a tripod with twist releases I knew I could never, ever go back.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2013 06:32 |  #39

hollis_f wrote in post #15727271 (external link)
You must have very well trained bag straps, camera straps and cables. When I used a 055 I could be absolutely certain that, if I put the tripod in the boot of the car, when it came time to use it there would be at least two straps or cables caught on the leg releases.

When I swapped it for a tripod with twist releases I knew I could never, ever go back.

I use a Lowepro backpack which has a rather odd "afterthought" of a tripod strap arrangement, almost as if they had forgotten to design it in. But I've never had any issues with it getting tangled, or my camera cable release come to that.

Richard

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 18, 2013 17:51 |  #40

hollis_f wrote in post #15727271 (external link)

Re the twist release - maybe I don't have very strong hands, but it was noticeable on the photographic holiday I was on - I would still be fiddling with the twists, trying to adjust my tripod to the correct height, while the others, all with manfrottos with leg releases, were already set up and happily snapping away!

Also, the travel benro had 4 sections - again, taking longer to set up (for me) than manfrottos with 3 sections.

Gear List

sponsored links

8,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto 190 or 055 cxpro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.