Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2013 (Monday) 18:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Computer photographers

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2013 18:11 |  #1

Has the digital era changed photography much more than was ever possible in the darkroom?

Is more done to the image now after the click of the shutter than ever before?

How many of your photos would make the grade printed straight from your camera?

Has the digital era contrived the Computer Photographer?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links
Thurman
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 18, 2013 18:15 |  #2

I think so, I mean there's so much you can do to photos because of the Computer, I didn't do any darkroom stuff back in the day so I don't know but i'd imagine the computer has made things possible now that wasn't possible back in the day. Also ease of use and how quick it is to edit a photo and get it out there compared to back in the darkroom days.

I'd say 95% of the photos I take would do great without any lightroom work at all.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i|18-55mm|50mm|55-250mm

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2013 18:21 |  #3

With the exception of P&S cameras and 1 hour photolabs, since when did pro photographers and/or film developers *not* do any post processing when it came to transferring the image from the negative to the paper? :lol:

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 18, 2013 18:38 |  #4

Well, first off, the "straight from your camera" idea is not valid, and was not valid in the film world either. In film, shots had to be developed in the "wet darkroom" and then printed. "Straight from the camera" was, well, undeveloped film!

With digital, you start with Raw data, and to convert it to an image, it has to be either processed in your camera using your in-camera settings, or you have to bring it into the "digital darkroom", a Raw processor that you use to develop your digital "film".

So, what's your question, or maybe rather your hypothesis?

Now, it's true that with film there are some "creative choices" to make before taking the shot that with digital are either made before the shot (especially needed when shooting jpegs) or that can be made in the digital darkroom if shooting Raw.

For example, choice of film is important for film shooters that "care". Film is a factor in several image "features": Contrast, Saturation, sharpness and White Balance as well as the ASA/ISO are all part of film choice. Also, filters can be used to affect the color of a shot. Sure, all that goes into play before the shot. But then, all that would only "come together" in the wet darkroom, where someone had the skill to develop that film and bring out the best of the shot!

But does that make film "better" than digital? Not as far as I'm concerned, although I admit that in my "film days" I wasn't "into it" -- I used generic film and just looked to "get a shot". Sometimes I came out with nice results, ones that I'd send out for "enlarged" prints, but there were tons that just ended up either in a shoe box or the trash. And, I never stepped foot an a wet darkroom! Now, digital gave me a "new beginning"...and, I spend good time in the "digital darkroom"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2013 18:59 |  #5

a better question would be, why is this brought up so often? dont people get tired of this discussion over and over?

My 500px (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2013 19:01 |  #6

DBNissan wrote in post #15729607 (external link)
With the exception of P&S cameras and 1 hour photolabs, since when did pro photographers and/or film developers *not* do any post processing when it came to transferring the image from the negative to the paper? :lol:

Well you do need to comprehend the question posed!

Second line -

Is more done to the image now after the click of the shutter than ever before?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2013 19:02 |  #7

team haymaker wrote in post #15729750 (external link)
a better question would be, why is this brought up so often? dont people get tired of this discussion over and over?

Always something new to say in these types of conversations. There are a lot of threads I skip over, but it's always fun to see what is being said when so many diverse opinions are being shared.

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2013 19:12 |  #8

team haymaker wrote in post #15729750 (external link)

Show me a single thread on POTN with 'Computer photographers ' in the heading.

Hey I might have coined a new photographic term! Remember you saw it here first ;)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2013 19:13 |  #9

fotoworx wrote in post #15729756 (external link)
Well you do need to comprehend the question posed!

Second line -

I understand your question. Have you not ever applied masks, done multiple exposures, etc in a dark room to do creative photos? The terminology for the actions in digital post processing came from the dark room.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2013 19:16 |  #10

fotoworx wrote in post #15729797 (external link)
Show me a single thread on POTN with 'Computer photographers ' in the heading.

Hey I might have coined a new photographic term! Remember you saw it here first ;)

I am a computer software developer and an photographer of 35 years that sometimes works for hire and other times for fun. I would never call myself or wish to be called a 'Computer Photographer'.

Coming from a film beginning and actually becoming disappointed when I heard technology was replacing it, I prefer the term 'Digital Darkroom'.

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2013 19:25 |  #11

DBNissan wrote in post #15729802 (external link)
I understand your question. Have you not ever applied masks, done multiple exposures, etc in a dark room to do creative photos?

Only in my B&W wet lab, I never did colour.

And still my question is valid -

Has the digital era changed photography much more than was ever possible in the darkroom?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,545 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 18, 2013 19:34 as a reply to  @ Bear Dale's post |  #12

In B&W large format zone system is still king for control but when it comes to color you have so much more control than you ever had in the color darkroom. I have printed both custom color and B&W professionally and for my own personal work and I can do things with digital files that I could never do with color negatives or transparencies in a wet darkroom.

I can really control contrast with digital files. I can change color balance using quick mask in very minute areas. I can also control contrast in very small areas. The possibilities are so much greater with color digital than they ever were with color film.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2013 19:38 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

You have 3k posts and why are you asking this newbie questions.... There were and are always some post processing involved with film.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2013 19:41 |  #14

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15729907 (external link)
In B&W large format zone system is still king for control

^ Yes totally agree.

I think programs like Photoshop are just absolutely marvellous with giving us the ability to just do over and over, again and again in minutes (or hours) changes to a captured image.

30 years ago I don't think it was even a dream. I don't think anyone could have even dreamed of such thing!

Cheers,
Bear Dale

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,545 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 18, 2013 19:42 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #15

Computers are not much different from a wet darkroom in the fact the capture is only the first part of a two part process. The darkroom or computer finishes what is started when the capture was made. They are not and should not be separate but different parts of the same process.

sponsored links

4,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Computer photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.