Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2013 (Monday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding - how much time do you normally have?

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 18, 2013 01:53 |  #1

Hi,

I was just wondering - how much time do you normally get (or allow) for formal photo's with the B&G on average? (Just wondering if the general status-qua changes from country to country), and how much would you like ideally?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 18, 2013 03:25 |  #2

Formal family photos, or the wedding party and couple photo shoot? I ask for three hours, I often get two, I sometimes get one. The better and more experienced you are the easier it is.

My Wellington Wedding Photographer Wedding Tips (external link) blog section has a sample day plan which you might find interesting, as well as a whole bunch of other mini articles I've written.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 18, 2013 03:32 |  #3

Thanks Tim.

Formal Wedding party to clarify was what I was thinking. It seems that most couples I've come in contact with (myself was included at my own wedding) didn't really give enough consideration to the time of photography, and I was just wondering what different people expect - or get, time wise.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2013 06:25 |  #4

The formal group photographs I allow 30 minutes for the one to ones with the B and G I like to do two 20 to 25 minutes slots.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 18, 2013 07:17 |  #5

I don't really have formals as such.

5 minutes for a large group shot with all the guests. I say allow 1 minute per family and friend grouping. A bridal party shoot can be anything from 25 minutes (the wedding started late) to 5 hours. The number of locations can vary too.

I don't have any set posing (i.e. the same at every wedding)that I do as such with the bridal party on the day or the couple it is more a flow and see what is working. What people want will vary tremendously.

Peter

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 18, 2013 08:40 |  #6

Most of my weddings have been at venues where the ceremony and reception are at the same location. At those, I usually get 1 hour for all the formal group shots and B&G "romantics"

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2013 11:57 |  #7

five minutes and up.

i always say, you'll get as many photos as I have time for.
I had one wedding where I literally had 5 minutes, and they were looking at the watches half the time.
it was not a priority of theirs and I respect that. then i've had weddings where we spent an hour each at multiple locations. That tickled their fancy and was fun for me too.
But then i've had many variations in between those two extremes. there are just so many variables.

I would guess the average is 45 minutes total though. for me anyway.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2013 12:04 |  #8

I ask for a minimum of 45 minutes... when going through the wedding day timeline, I revise that based on wedding party size, traveling requirements, etc... and make my suggestions for more time... if they can give me more time, great... if not, I make it work with what I do have!

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 19, 2013 14:52 |  #9

The bride was late. I went from 1 hour down to 15 minutes for everything.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 19, 2013 15:00 |  #10

Scorpoi - I feel your pain. Last November, the B&G decided to have the reception line at the church following the ceremony. My 1 hour that was allotted went down to me climbing up on a wall and getting a group shot of all the attendees. The B&G understood that they were the ones that cut the photo time out of that day and were okay without those shots.

Persian-Rice
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 19, 2013 18:37 |  #11

I'm guessing you mean something like a bridal party photoshoot.

It's usually less than I want or we plan for, 45m-1h is enough to cover all the essentials for a 10 person party if you work fast and/or with an assistant. The size of/access to the location is also sometimes a factor. The longer the better since I like to get creative, use a few lights, different looks etc etc, but I don't think I ever take more than 2.5 hours at one location before it starts becoming redundant.

I've been in some tough spots. ie. 2 hour outdoor daylight shoot down to 10 minutes, stretched from 5, after sunset. At that point we basically go to a formal shot list and make sure we get some good usable portraits. Get 1 group, separate parties, best man/maid of honor, then focus on the couple.

My favorite are the ones we can shoot the couple on a separate day, usually at a nice location with no time limit. That way you don't have to worry about time as much. We still do something on the wedding day, but with much less pressure.

fontanka
242 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 20, 2013 12:57 |  #12

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #15727300 (external link)
The formal group photographs I allow 30 minutes for the one to ones with the B and G I like to do two 20 to 25 minutes slots.

same here, my couples never have 2/3 hours to spare, max is one hour. It is almost always during cocktail hour right after a ceremony. If the list is on a longer side we do part of it before the ceremony (even though it's not the best thing to do), but again time limitations on a wedding day require to be fast. I do have a list for formals, otherwise it would be just a mess.

www.AnnaMuhhinaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/AnnaM​uhhinaPhotography (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 20, 2013 15:10 |  #13

Usually 30-45 minutes for both family and B&G formals. Anything other than that is gravy.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 21, 2013 02:42 |  #14

We're having our ceremony around 1pm, with three hours for photos... then photos at sunset. That still leaves heaps of times with our family and guests.

Like I say in my example wedding day timeline (external link), why spend 8 hours getting ready then 8 hours on the wedding day, get ready faster/earlier and spend more time on photos, with your guests, etc.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 25, 2013 07:52 |  #15

Typically 1 hour.
Sometimes 15 minutes. Sometimes 3 hours.
Depends on how the day's going. There are just too many variables and someone/something is always late!

sponsored links

2,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding - how much time do you normally have?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.