Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mkiii help

wilk182
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2013 13:29 |  #1

hi all,

I have recently acquired a 5d mkiii which I used for the first time at the weekend.

I had been shooting using the kit 24-105mm lens, a uv filter for protection and a Hoya circular polariser and noticed massive fall-off around the corners at 24mm.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i209.photobucke​t.com …bb18/wilk182/1L​5A3244.jpg (external link)

this image was shot at 1/80 sec, f5.6, iso 100.

I know its not a good photo (i'll put an image from this shoot i'm happy with later!), just want to know if something is seriously wrong?

thanks
mick

sponsored links
s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 19, 2013 13:35 |  #2

There is some fall-off with this lens at 24mm, especially wide open. If those filters have thick bezels, they would contribute to the vignetting even more.

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 19, 2013 13:43 as a reply to  @ s2kdriver80's post |  #3

If it were me, Id lose the UV filter, if you insist on filters for protection , the polarizer would do that job too.. no need for both in that circumstance.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,772 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 19, 2013 13:47 |  #4

A Polarising Filter will do that, darkening blue sky is its primary function for most photographers.

And it is really worth "pushing the boat out" when it comes to filters as inexpensive ones have a tendency to slaughter image quality.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2013 13:50 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #5

You're not stacking the UV and Polarizing filters, are you? Like the above poster, I would do away with the UV filter entirely. It's really not needed for digital photos, and in my view degrades image quality.

As for the 24-105 lens, yes, you will see darker corners at the wide end, especially 24 and they become more pronounced with a polarizer. It's just the physics of the lens.

FYI, the Perhipheral Illumination Correction feature in your camera is designed to brighten up these dark places. However, I believe it only works for JPGs and can override any exposure compensation adjustments you've made. Use this feature with caution (I turn it off, personally).

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 19, 2013 13:51 |  #6

My bet it's from the stacked filters...and what others said, no sense in having the UV on if you're putting the polarizer on. Then again, I either use a functional filter or no filter...but that can start a whole other debate.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

wilk182
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2013 13:52 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #7

thanks, at least I know there is nothing wrong with the camera/lens

can you recommend a good polariser? the one I use currently cost around £50

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2013 13:59 |  #8

wilk182 wrote in post #15732657 (external link)

Sure, any of the top brands will do a good job. B+W, Kasemann, and Hoya are the brands most folks are using. You will get good results with any of these. They are not cheap, but quality never is.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 19, 2013 14:04 |  #9

wilk182 wrote in post #15732657 (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …mm_XS_Pro_Digit​al_MC.html (external link)

That's what I use for the 24-105mm.

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

wilk182
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2013 14:05 |  #10

im currently using Hoya.

many thanks

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 19, 2013 14:09 as a reply to  @ s2kdriver80's post |  #11

For protection, I would just use the included hood, it also cuts down on flare. Use the CP filter only if you need polarization, all modern lenses have UV coatings.

-Paul

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 19, 2013 14:12 |  #12

Use one or the other. As others have noted, your corner vignetting is from stacking filters. Won't be visible if you zoom in a bit. But at the extreme wide end, you will get what you see here on the photos.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2013 15:57 |  #13

Also where were you focusing? Pic seems very soft? What were your settings?

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 19, 2013 16:15 |  #14

Buylongterm wrote in post #15733088 (external link)
Also where were you focusing? Pic seems very soft? What were your settings?

1/80 sec, f5.6, iso 100.

I blame the filters for everything..:D

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

marcosphoto
80 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2013 10:06 |  #15

I'd like to offer a totally different possibility in addition to the likelyhood of filters. If the body is new you may have not gone over the settings with a fine tooth comb yet. Look up the lens correction in the settings and make sure that your lens is programmed in and that the lens correction is set to on. I threw on an old lens when I first got my old 5D2 and got crazy vignette instantly. At first I thought the camera was broken until I realized that this old-cheap lens was not prgorammed in the firmware from the factory. Had to add it with canon EOS utility. The 24-105L is definately in there from the get-go but maybe the lens correction is still set to off. Something to look into.

sponsored links

1,950 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mkiii help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.