Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 01:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something just feels flat

BEyslerPhotography
305 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2013 01:08 |  #1

Was messing around in the snow tonight with my roomate, had a concept in my head that I wanted to try and shoot tonight... Theres something nice about this photo, so I want to save it, but same time im not sure what it is, but something just feels flat and off; Any thoughts?

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8571340438_471d404aa9_b.jpg

Camera Info:

Canon 5d Mark III w/ 50mm 1.2 L

ƒ1.8 | 1/125 ISO 1600

Strobist info:

Nikon SB-80 dx with a full CTO Gel at 1/64th Power in Westcott 28" Apollo Softbox camera left

Nikon SB-80 dx at 1/32nd power into Honl 10* Grid behind subject with full CTB Gel. (Blue was removed in post)

I specialize in Creative Portraiture, Music and Wedding Photography.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 19, 2013 01:10 |  #2

I like it...Looks fine to me.

Mark

losangelino
943 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 19, 2013 01:39 |  #3

I like it too. Nice work.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 19, 2013 04:30 as a reply to  @ losangelino's post |  #4

Only you can know if it accurately represents your model...I'm not a fan of a 50mm, f/1.8, lens as it sometimes causes distortion. You tell us, do you see it here?
This illustrates what I mean http://www.gizmodo.com​.au …-uglify-your-pretty-face/ (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

BEyslerPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2013 05:49 |  #5

Chaucey... thats shpt with the 50 1.2 L, Distortion doesn't bother me, I have no problem shooting portraits at 35mm, and I've worked for newspapers, so I'm the furthest thing there is from a pixel peeper. just something feels off here, and I still cant figure out what exactly...it just doesn't have the depth

I specialize in Creative Portraiture, Music and Wedding Photography.

proximustherogue
116 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2013 06:54 |  #6

looks ok to me, I think the something off you are feeling is because a huge chunk of your subject is lost to the shadows.

if you look at her left shoulder you will see it fades away into the shadows really fast and her hat is also lost a bit. the other shadows are ok but I'm feeling the combination of her shoulder and hat are whats giving you that feeling.

get out and shoot

gregr2
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 19, 2013 07:22 |  #7

proximustherogue wrote in post #15731275 (external link)
looks ok to me, I think the something off you are feeling is because a huge chunk of your subject is lost to the shadows.

if you look at her left shoulder you will see it fades away into the shadows really fast and her hat is also lost a bit. the other shadows are ok but I'm feeling the combination of her shoulder and hat are whats giving you that feeling.

I'm leaning towards this as well. I would try and pull the shadows up and see how it looks.

Flickr (external link)
Sony A6500

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 19, 2013 19:31 |  #8

the 100% white snow/bokeh draws attention away from the relatively dark subject/face

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 19, 2013 19:58 |  #9

I agree with getting more from the shadows but would also tone down the saturation a fair bit and crop ends to make 5X7.

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 19, 2013 22:42 |  #10

image editing okay? want to give me a crack at it? or anyone else?

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hy (external link)

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 20, 2013 01:04 |  #11

I like it and my first thought when look at it was it needs broader light on the face area.
The background and lighting there is nice.

sssc
572 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2013 23:26 |  #12

Martin Dixon wrote in post #15733806 (external link)
the 100% white snow/bokeh draws attention away from the relatively dark subject/face

Same here . More i look at it the 3 nickel size white lights,snow on her left seem to me take away from it. Wish i could get Shots this good

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 20, 2013 23:33 |  #13

Well, it looks good but a bit dark to me. I bumped the shadows to 100 in LR4 and it looks much better to me. That brought up the area around her face (but not her face) and the BG a bit. I think it gives the image more depth.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 21, 2013 02:53 |  #14

the image isn't sharp. and it needs a noise reduction. and it's underexposed
I think the focus is on the front of her coat.

another thing is the way the light is hitting her right check gives it more of a rounded look. The dark on the left check makes it look flat. so that may be something that looks "odd".

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

demondrive1
141 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 21, 2013 06:19 as a reply to  @ picturepages's post |  #15

Does this image need to be any sharper? NO. the bokeh is nice , rim light nice. face a tad unexposed. but nice image

Canon 5D Mark iii.Canon 5D Mark ii ,.Ef 24-70 ii.Canon 50mm f 1.2,Sigma 12-24mm and a few speedlights..
http://www.colincoller​anphotographer.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Something just feels flat
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.