Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Strap Advertising

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 17, 2013 19:26 |  #31

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15724355 (external link)
Out of interest what do you consider "high end"? Over here I'm shooting $4k to $6k weddings. In Australia only about 15-20% of the market spend over $3500 on wedding photography. Does that class as high end in your book?

I think the high end is $8k+. I would imagine that the market in the USA is about the same. 15-20% spend more than 3500.

How you dress should be an extension of your brand. I climb trees, jump in the ocean, whatever it takes to get the shots I want. Most couples I book expect to see me face down in the dirt at least once or twice on a wedding day. It is how I roll.

Funny enough, I do the same thing. Ben Chrisman talked at WPPI about how he has no shame about laying down on the dance floor to get the right angle. He still wears a tie, button up, slacks and nice shoes to weddings. I will get dirty without hesitation for the shot I want. I'm just going to do it in classier clothes. In cargo pants and five fingers, you probably wouldn't even be allowed in many nicer reception venues. I know Houston Country Club requires photographers to wear a tie.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 17, 2013 20:01 |  #32

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15726076 (external link)
Funny enough, I do the same thing. Ben Chrisman talked at WPPI about how he has no shame about laying down on the dance floor to get the right angle. He still wears a tie, button up, slacks and nice shoes to weddings.

Lying down on the dance floor is hardly a special case and certainly not a big deal. Wading in the ocean, up trees, scaling rocks on the coast. Ties etc simply aren't practical for me and how I shoot on location but it is my brand. I'll get shots from angles and places other photographers won't get, down to what I'm prepared to do for a shot. My clients know and appreciate that.

It is a very different mindset out here. I shoot "classy" venues all the time, but I don't alter my clothing for them. This year I've had brown work type jeans and a polo shirt. I've had 3 pairs of jeans split in the last two years and several shirts ruined with stains. I always have at least one change of exactly the same clothes in the car. That's why I'm changing to something that won't get trashed so easily.

It is a completely different mindset out here.

Funnily enough as I've been moving up the market I've changed the way I dress to be more functional and my WOM and referral rate has increased... especially at the more expensive venues.

Bottom line dress and advertise in a manner which suit your brand and market which is accepted by the locations you work at. What works for one person in one area may be the opposite to what works for another person in another area.

Peter

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 17, 2013 21:07 |  #33

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15726173 (external link)
Lying down on the dance floor is hardly a special case and certainly not a big deal.

You've never partied with Texans. There is always beer on the floor here.

Wading in the ocean, up trees, scaling rocks on the coast.

No ocean or rocks or coat here.

Ties etc simply aren't practical for me and how I shoot on location but it is my brand. I'll get shots from angles and places other photographers won't get, down to what I'm prepared to do for a shot. My clients know and appreciate that.

Do what you want. I really don't care. But I think you look like a mechanic if you wear a logod shirt. My clients appreciate that I dress professionally, stylishly and am not afraid to get it dirty or ruined if need be.

It is a very different mindset out here. I shoot "classy" venues all the time, but I don't alter my clothing for them. This year I've had brown work type jeans and a polo shirt. I've had 3 pairs of jeans split in the last two years and several shirts ruined with stains.

I've never worn jeans to shoot a wedding. Many high end venues would not even let you in the doors dressed like that.

I always have at least one change of exactly the same clothes in the car. That's why I'm changing to something that won't get trashed so easily.

I generally wear a different shirt for the ceremony and reception and keep a third change just in case. We generally get 40-50 days of 100 degree heat and 100% humidity and a whole bunch more that are close to that. Changing often is pretty much mandatory.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 18, 2013 20:02 |  #34

To continue the derailment of this thread, I'll chime in on what's appropriate wedding attire for wedding photogs.
I wore a suit and tie for a long time while I was living and working in Tokyo. I never felt comfortable in such clothing and when I began shooting weddings 10 years ago I vowed never to wear one again. My rationale was that, if I didn't feel comfortable my photos would reflect that. So far I've had no complaints. I normally ask my clients if they require a suit and tie and none (in thus country) have ever said yes. I was required to wear a tuxedo for a Hong Kong wedding a few years ago, but that's the exception.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 20, 2013 14:13 |  #35

if the guy has a long sleeve dress shirt on with a logo, then yes that is tacky. If the guy was wearing a polo with cargo pants and his logo was a half inch by 2 inches on one sleeve then not tacky. a Canon labeled strap people would think nothing of, while a custom printed one may be over the top and silly. JMHO I think it just depends on the style of clothes you wear.

If a guy rolled a case into the hall with band stickers all over it, you would get the wrong impression. if he rolled a case in with a simple sticker indicating the name of his company, it looks tasteful and professional.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 21, 2013 07:53 |  #36

I and my assistant wear logo'ed shirts. But as with all things, there's a spectrum of approaches and a lot depends on where along the spectrum you see yourself.

I don't wear logo'ed shirts so much for marketing purposes. The logo is small and fairly discreet. No one would really be able to read it unless they were standing right in front of me. It's not like I put a web address across my back or something brash.

For me, they simply identify me as the professional photographer. They also identify my assistant as part of the same team. But I don't really view these shirts as an attempt at marketing during a shoot.

It kinda gets back to another hotly debated topic; do you lay business cards out like the DJ does? Or maybe even those cards that tell people where to view the couple's images?

I don't do any of those things. The only marketing of myself that I do during a wedding is working very hard for the couple which may mean standing on chairs or getting down on the ground. That and being fun, professional, polite, etc.

No one has ever hired me because of my shirt, they've hired me because of those other things. So I don't wear those shirts for that reason. They are high quality shirts and tastefully done with only branding and not marketing or selling in mind.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links

4,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Strap Advertising
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.