Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Mar 2013 (Friday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How often do you clean your sensor?

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 15, 2013 12:39 |  #16

I have a 1DsMkII that I bought back in either 2005 or 2006.....never once have I wet cleaned it. I just use the rocket blower. I also have another 1DsMkII and a 5D and I've never wet cleaned them either....in fact, I've never wet cleaned a camera ever. Just use a rocket blower. That said, I don't go looking for dust and when/if it does show up, I simply clone it out. I know that if I go shoot a sky at f22, my sensors will show all kinds of spots.......but I don't often shoot skies at f22 so I find it to rarely be an issue for me.

sponsored links
ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Mar 20, 2013 14:57 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #17

Never had to clean or even rocket my 5D3 but my 1Ds2 needs regular rocketing and a good wet clean twice a year, and I use both of these cameras about the same amount and what is more, in India. The 5D3's self cleaning system is astonishing.

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,019 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 20, 2013 15:15 |  #18

Ursie wrote in post #15716928 (external link)
Just curious how often you find your sensor needs to be cleaned (as opposed to just using your rocket blower)

I never knew the sensors would need anything other than the rocket blower. The only stuff that ever can get on my sensors is dust, and that is what the rocket blower is for.

I clean my 5D's sensor with the rocket blower multiple times per day (on days when I'm shooting), but in almost 5 years of continuous use, I have never cleaned it any other way. I have never seen the need to do so.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ursie
THREAD ­ STARTER
529 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 20, 2013 15:44 |  #19

I find it depends where you are. Any time I've been near the ocean there is a need to clean the sensors with the wet method. I believe it is the result of salt spray which doesn't blow off.

In the desert, where I live, the amount of dust is very great and during the windy season, that sometimes requires the wet method as well. I've also heard that for some reason the 5DM2 is more prone to need cleaning than other models.

Gear List
My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 20, 2013 15:47 |  #20

The only reason why full-frame sensors would "need" more cleaning is because they have a larger surface area to collect dust in.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 20, 2013 15:49 |  #21

Wet cleaned my 5DIII this week.. nearly a year to the day from buying it.. used up 3 swabs though.
Nearly as expensive as sending in the shop.. :) .

If you're constantly shooting wide open with fast lenses you'll never see it, but primarily doing landscapes shows up everything.. there's only so much spot healing I can take.

Hopefully clean for another year...:)

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Ursie
THREAD ­ STARTER
529 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 20, 2013 16:16 |  #22

Yes Jayrou, that has been my experience as well. It's always when I'm doing landscape photography.

Gear List
My Blog (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 20, 2013 16:55 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15736742 (external link)
I clean my 5D's sensor with the rocket blower multiple times per day (on days when I'm shooting), but in almost 5 years of continuous use, I have never cleaned it any other way. I have never seen the need to do so.

Tom -
Take a shot of a clear sky at f/22 and tell us what you find. :)

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,019 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 20, 2013 16:57 |  #24

Curtis N wrote in post #15737095 (external link)
Tom -
Take a shot of a clear sky at f/22 and tell us what you find. :)

I find lots & lots of spots caused by dust - that's why I blow the sensor off so often - to get rid of that dust.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,168 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 21, 2013 04:59 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15737103 (external link)
I find lots & lots of spots caused by dust - that's why I blow the sensor off so often - to get rid of that dust.

Does the 5d2 and 3's auto sensor cleaning really work? I have read that because sensors remain somewhat charged, the auto-cleaning and rocket cleanings don't fully do the trick.

I might try the test when time allows: take the clear sky f22 shot, rocket the sensor, take the shot again and see what difference there is, if any.

Website (external link) |

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2013 05:23 |  #26

Never. I just use auto clean.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2013 05:43 |  #27

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #15738807 (external link)
I have read that because sensors remain somewhat charged, the auto-cleaning and rocket cleanings don't fully do the trick.

Wherever you read that - it's wrong.

The 5DIII will be using a system similar to, possibly better than, the one on my 7D. And that hasn't been cleaned for over 2 years - and still doesn't require cleaning.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Ursie
THREAD ­ STARTER
529 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2013 11:38 |  #28

I haven't found that the sensor cleaning does anything to dust spots on my sensor. Have done the test shot before, then the sensor cleaning then test again. Spots are the same.

Then rocket blower, test shots, spots same.

So when I get spots I seem to need a wet clean (all on my 5DM2)

Gear List
My Blog (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,019 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 21, 2013 14:43 |  #29

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #15738807 (external link)
Does the 5d2 and 3's auto sensor cleaning really work? I have read that because sensors remain somewhat charged, the auto-cleaning and rocket cleanings don't fully do the trick.

Dan, I assume you directed this question at me (because you quoted me). I do not know the answer because I do not have a 5D2 or a 5D3. I have used a borrowed 5D2 in the past, but only briefly, and when I used it I never had any reason to pay attention to the sensor cleaning function.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 21, 2013 14:46 |  #30

I have not done any cleaning other than the cameras own (auto)cleaning when turning on and off

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

sponsored links

4,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
How often do you clean your sensor?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.