Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Better monopod Feisol or Induro

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 19, 2013 13:20 |  #1

I want to get a better monopod than I have now. Yes I know Gitzo is the best but also cost a lot more than I want to spend. So I am looking at and leaning toward the Induro CM34 and I am also looking at the Feisol 1471. Anyone care to make comments on these two?

Thank you
Mike

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2013 08:02 |  #2

I can't really help, but I do have a question relating to monopods which does pertain to this thread slightly, so... Does it actually matter how "good" they are? Surely because you have to use relatively fast SS anyway (I mean, you aren't going to be doing long exposure shots), the "quality" of the monopod doesn't matter that much (by quality I mean stability, vibration control etc... durability and ease of use of course matter). So what one should be looking for in a monopod is: weight, size, reliability. Or am I wrong?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Tanglefoot47
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 20, 2013 19:29 |  #3

Sirrith wrote in post #15735340 (external link)
I can't really help, but I do have a question relating to monopods which does pertain to this thread slightly, so... Does it actually matter how "good" they are? Surely because you have to use relatively fast SS anyway (I mean, you aren't going to be doing long exposure shots), the "quality" of the monopod doesn't matter that much (by quality I mean stability, vibration control etc... durability and ease of use of course matter). So what one should be looking for in a monopod is: weight, size, reliability. Or am I wrong?

I think it does matter how good they are if that was not important no one would buy the very expensive Gitzo. I found out that the Induro has 8 layers of CF while the Feisol only has 4. I have owned a few wimpy monopods in the past and didn't care for them much and sometimes. Better pods will last longer.

By the way I went with the Induro I have their tripod and it's a good one.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2013 20:51 |  #4

Tanglefoot47 wrote in post #15737652 (external link)
I think it does matter how good they are if that was not important no one would buy the very expensive Gitzo. I found out that the Induro has 8 layers of CF while the Feisol only has 4. I have owned a few wimpy monopods in the past and didn't care for them much and sometimes. Better pods will last longer.

By the way I went with the Induro I have their tripod and it's a good one.

I see. That was actually the main source of my curiosity; why would anyone buy a gitzo monopod when all it really does is provide you with a bit of extra support, and may not do so better than a monopod a quarter of the price?

I suppose if Gitzo's are the most durable and lightest as well as most compact and longest when extended it would make sense.

Would like to know your impression of the Induro when you get it and have used it for a while though :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,158 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 20, 2013 21:51 |  #5

Sirrith wrote in post #15737898 (external link)
why would anyone buy a gitzo monopod when all it really does is provide you with a bit of extra support, and may not do so better than a monopod a quarter of the price?

For which reason I sold my Gitzo monopod but kept my Manfrotto "Auto" monopod that's a quarter of the Gitzo's price. I had both for a long time, but when I kept going to the "auto" monopod while the Gitzo kept collecting dust in the corner, it was time to say goodbye.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,155 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 21, 2013 11:48 |  #6

I have the Induro M34 currently and like it for its light weight and length. I used an off-brand aluminum with flip lever before and the lever started to get very hard to open and it was heavy so I switch.
Monopod isn't as critical as tripod so pick whichever fit your bill and comfortable with.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

mnphotos
751 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 21, 2013 12:14 |  #7

I have the Induro CM14 and like it a lot.

vmaidens
848 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 21, 2013 12:16 |  #8

I have both a Feisol and an Induro, Induro is a much better built monopod or tripod for that matter.

http://www.vincemaiden​sphotography.com (external link)
http://twitter.com/VMa​idensPhoto (external link)
http://500px.com/Vince​Maidens (external link)

sponsored links

2,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
Better monopod Feisol or Induro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.