Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 13:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS-b Leak / Body size comparison

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,225 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2013 15:27 |  #16

Interesting.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 19, 2013 16:32 |  #17

Not sure but with a 40mm pancake might make a nice pocket camera, one that can focus anyway.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 20, 2013 11:29 as a reply to  @ Neilyb's post |  #18

Sounds promising..... if it gets FULL HD Video.... 1080P w/ the 40mm pancake lens.... i'll buy one.... i need a nice Video camera that i can use my of my L lenses with.... :-)

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

kasey
191 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 21, 2013 00:07 |  #19

Classic Canon stop gap. Still holding onto the DSLR line even though they are watching the mainstream consumers flocking towards the smaller and lighter mirrorless segment. No matter how small this APS-C DSLR is, with the flange distance and sensor size, the lens won't be dramatically smaller (except for the pancake). In terms of portability/functional​ity/ergonomics balance its really in the middle of nowhere.

They just really just take the pain and pour more resources into the mirrorless market. If they really want to target that "small and light" segment, they should forget about APS-C, forget about compatibility with EF lenses and forget about differentiation with its DSLR (like intentionally crippling the EOS M AF). They have to go all out!

But looks like Canon still prefers to recycle old 9 point AF and 18mp APS-C while competitors eat their lunch. Oh complacency.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 21, 2013 00:25 |  #20

kasey wrote in post #15738374 (external link)
They just really just take the pain and pour more resources into the mirrorless market. If they really want to target that "small and light" segment, they should forget about APS-C, forget about compatibility with EF lenses and forget about differentiation with its DSLR (like intentionally crippling the EOS M AF). They have to go all out!

a) You don't get a baby in a month with 10 mothers.
b) Killing the whole EF compatibility thing? Sure...:rolleyes:

5D3 and a few lens
es.

kasey
191 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 21, 2013 01:00 |  #21

HyperYagami wrote in post #15738408 (external link)
b) Killing the whole EF compatibility thing? Sure...:rolleyes:

Any mirrorless can use an adaptor to mount a bigger format lens. The only limit is the flange distance. Mirrorless benefits from having a small flange distance. Even MFT cameras can take Canon lenses.

Anyway the main point of having a small camera is because you value the small and light form factor. The last thing I would mount to my mirrorless is a 85 f1.2 or 70-200 f2.8 lens on it. To me, it defeats the purpose of portability entirely. Granted, some of us who already owned these lenses may gladly go for a body that does that natively, but the market is clearly limited.

I guess what I am trying to say is not that Canon should "kill" the compatibility thing, but Canon really shouldn't let past burden limit their design of a product in an entirely new segment.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 21, 2013 01:10 |  #22

I just got the email from B&H and they are calling this the "EOS Rebel SL1" $650 body only or $799 with the 18-55 STM

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 21, 2013 02:10 |  #23

kasey wrote in post #15738475 (external link)
I guess what I am trying to say is not that Canon should "kill" the compatibility thing, but Canon really shouldn't let past burden limit their design of a product in an entirely new segment.

In a way, I do agree with you.

But on the other hand, one of the reasons why Canon does this EOS-M thing with EF compatibility (kinda via adapter) is that so you auto have tons of high-quality lens that NONE of the other guys have.

Let me ask you, now if you bring out this "no burden" Canon thing, how are you going to make it not a "me-too" EVIL? You can say "it can have some super awesome AF" but really the other guys aren't bad by any mean so the differentiation is going to be low. You can say "it can have some new super awesome f/1.2 lens" and that drops you back to the "defeats the purpose of portability" problem (it's STILL gonna be huge). Don't even get me started on marketing this brand whole new mount (the collective piss-off-ness of the current EF users, why would they buy this?).

It's very easy to "let's scrap and restart from scratch!", how are you going to SURVIVE it that's the challenge.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2013 03:10 |  #24

I think they are just trying to be disruptive enough to hurt the mirrorless competition, not really succeed at it. They still want their bread and butter to be compacts and DSLR system.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,375 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 21, 2013 08:37 |  #25

Announced as Rebel SL1...

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …is_stm_kit#Spec​ifications (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2013 04:17 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #26

This would actually be a good underwater camera system. Shame it's that same old sensor, but still, it would be the smallest housed DSLR I've seen, they could probably make a housing for it the size of a 7D/5DIII, which is crazy small...

Z...

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 25, 2013 13:50 |  #27

EtherealZee wrote in post #15745868 (external link)
This would actually be a good underwater camera system. Shame it's that same old sensor, but still, it would be the smallest housed DSLR I've seen, they could probably make a housing for it the size of a 7D/5DIII, which is crazy small...

Z...

Sure it could have a really small housing, but how would having a smaller camera housing really be any better other than for the storage/transport side? Unless your using a fisheye and a 4" dome(maybe even then as well, remember lens MFD dictates dome size, flat ports are quite big as well) your set up is going to be like using an EOS-M wiht Ef lens. Then there's the possible buoyancy issues, both total and housing to port. Next get to the controls, they need to be big enough to work with gloves, granted this camera is missing a lot of controls the xxD/xD cameras have so there'd be more room for what it has, but on the other side you'd be missing controls you'd want to have easier access to on a DSLR. Underwater buoyancy and ergonomics are more important than trying to be small, if you can get those while being small then small is nice.

If you want a smallish underwater setup best to go with a PS camera setup than one for a DSLR. However with right lens/port/housing/stro​be setup the SL1 could be really nice for travel where size and weight are important, although the size is likely to be negligible since you'd still likely need the same big pelican case in order to house the rest of your underwater camera gear.

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 25, 2013 19:56 |  #28

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #15753972 (external link)
Sure it could have a really small housing, but how would having a smaller camera housing really be any better other than for the storage/transport side? Unless your using a fisheye and a 4" dome(maybe even then as well, remember lens MFD dictates dome size, flat ports are quite big as well) your set up is going to be like using an EOS-M wiht Ef lens. Then there's the possible buoyancy issues, both total and housing to port. Next get to the controls, they need to be big enough to work with gloves, granted this camera is missing a lot of controls the xxD/xD cameras have so there'd be more room for what it has, but on the other side you'd be missing controls you'd want to have easier access to on a DSLR. Underwater buoyancy and ergonomics are more important than trying to be small, if you can get those while being small then small is nice.

If you want a smallish underwater setup best to go with a PS camera setup than one for a DSLR. However with right lens/port/housing/stro​be setup the SL1 could be really nice for travel where size and weight are important, although the size is likely to be negligible since you'd still likely need the same big pelican case in order to house the rest of your underwater camera gear.

Not sure what your diving requirements are, but I need to fit everything into a package that weighs less then 17kg. (7kg carry on, 10kg check in)

I dive mainly in SE Asia, and as the water is very warm, I need no wetsuit, gloves are not needed. I don't use a pelican case, as they are too heavy and kill my weight. The camera body, housing and strobes go in carry on. Fins, BP&W, and "wet shirt" (for stinger protection mainly) go in to check in with my clothes - with the items in my carry on each getting wrapped in a shirt (though the camera as inside the housing).

In terms of underwater balance, I just live with it, I mainly use an EF100, and sometimes, a 10-22 with a 6" dome. I'd love an 8", but it is not practical for travel. Strobes were Inon Z 240's, though will be replacing them with S&S YS-110's (got a friend who is a dealer, so I get them cheap!!!), worst case, if the weighting is really bugging me, I'm sure I can work out somewhere to stuck some weight, but really, every gram and cubic inch I can save is worth any trade off (within reason). Having said that, the viewfinder size, and the AF system may kill it...

I used a 400D underwater for many years, whilst using a 50D, 7D or 5DII topside, so I'm aware of the downfalls of the low end bodies with control, but I can work around that mostly, macro tends to happen fairly slowly, and mostly the F stop sticks around f12-16, so shutter speed is the most changed setting for me anyway. As I said though, the viewfinder will be the tricky part, I suspect it will be tiny...

Z...

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 25, 2013 22:31 |  #29

EtherealZee wrote in post #15755312 (external link)
Not sure what your diving requirements are, but I need to fit everything into a package that weighs less then 17kg. (7kg carry on, 10kg check in)

I dive mainly in SE Asia, and as the water is very warm, I need no wetsuit, gloves are not needed. I don't use a pelican case, as they are too heavy and kill my weight. The camera body, housing and strobes go in carry on. Fins, BP&W, and "wet shirt" (for stinger protection mainly) go in to check in with my clothes - with the items in my carry on each getting wrapped in a shirt (though the camera as inside the housing).

In terms of underwater balance, I just live with it, I mainly use an EF100, and sometimes, a 10-22 with a 6" dome. I'd love an 8", but it is not practical for travel. Strobes were Inon Z 240's, though will be replacing them with S&S YS-110's (got a friend who is a dealer, so I get them cheap!!!), worst case, if the weighting is really bugging me, I'm sure I can work out somewhere to stuck some weight, but really, every gram and cubic inch I can save is worth any trade off (within reason). Having said that, the viewfinder size, and the AF system may kill it...

I used a 400D underwater for many years, whilst using a 50D, 7D or 5DII topside, so I'm aware of the downfalls of the low end bodies with control, but I can work around that mostly, macro tends to happen fairly slowly, and mostly the F stop sticks around f12-16, so shutter speed is the most changed setting for me anyway. As I said though, the viewfinder will be the tricky part, I suspect it will be tiny...

Z...

I dive mainly locally in Southern California so gloves are must, but I still wear gloves when I dive tropical locations for abrasive protection(reef/marine life) plus even in tropical waters it will still drop you core temp so using wetsuits and what not is still good idea for thermal protection if you're doing 4 tanks/day for a few days straight.

I think the wait of the SL1 is probably the biggest saving, at least compared to my bodies. I think your Inons are probably the best bet for travel due to that they run on AA's so you don't have the wait of the strobe batteries.

I'd like to get a 4" for travel but my 8-15 is the only thing I could shoot behind it and I like to have a mid range/standard zoom so I'm stuck with 8"/9.25" and it cost too much to have both. I'm hoping that the new 24-70 f4 will work with a 6" so I can have something smaller. ANyway, if I'm flying I carry on my body and lenses and check my housing, ports, strobes, arms, etc. in a pelican case(local diving I'll put the body in the housing and the lenses in the case)

I guess it depends on what lens/seen I'm shooting but I tend to change aperture more but also change shutter according to depth/available light to keep water column at a deep blue color and let the strobe control exposure on the subjects, so I like having both dials ready to switch which ever one I need. I think I'd rather pay extra weight charges if needed than lose the controls I've become used to.

2 times I would surely like the size and weight savings of what the SL1 and housing could potential have is long surface swims and shore dives with a long walk to the water.

sponsored links

5,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS-b Leak / Body size comparison
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.