Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MKIII AI Servo?

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2013 15:10 |  #1

Anyone have any great hints or tricks to using all the new focusing points with AI servo on the 5D MKIII? I'm having trouble getting anything in focus, especially moving things so I figure I'm not doing something right.

sponsored links
Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 20, 2013 15:50 |  #2

Well... can you describe it a little better?

- What are you trying to shoot?
- Light contidions?
- Which AF mode are you using (all AF points, AF + 4 surrounding points, AF + all surrouding points, etc)
- Which lens? Aperture? Shutter speed?
- Samples?

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,757 posts
Gallery: 273 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 20, 2013 17:42 |  #3

This seminar is pre 5d mk3 but it has everything you need to know about Canon AF.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=3_F7lCvp5DI (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=1WTWiN9kLts (external link)

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 20, 2013 17:59 |  #4

Maybe this will help....

http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_AF_setting_gui​debook.pdf (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2013 08:51 |  #5

I'll post some samples in a bit. Today I took my dogs to the park to practice running shots. Had AI Servo on, back button focus, AF 9 points (anymore and the camera kept focusing on the grass). When the dog was a ways away from me but not moving I would focus, then call his name. As he moved towards me I just kept holding down the back button and clicking away. I could see through my eye piece that the scene would come into focus and then a split second before I heard the shutter it would go back out of focus. Every single shot is soft. I shot about 200 total. I tried this with both a 28-75 lens (Tamron) and Canon 50 1.4. My shutter speed was 1/1250.

XBAMBOBEE
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 21, 2013 10:48 |  #6

curious to learn about this focus system and how great it is.
I have a 7D with the so "claimed great" focusing system but I'm inclined to say it is somehow rubbish. Simply because the most efficient focus types to use are center focus and spot expansion. Leaving the rest useless since they are not efficient.

2 Legit 2 Quit

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 21, 2013 11:02 |  #7

There's a thread here - http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk …s/showthread.ph​p?t=461016 (external link) - on photographing running dogs. Maybe something useful there.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ tdodd's post |  #8

Here is one example. As you can see all the shots are completely soft.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8578061232_11c79be684_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8246/8576973423_262c47dd58_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8578077424_aee14cbb8d_b.jpg

I won't bore you by posting more, but all 200 pictures I took look like this. Not a single crisp in focus picture.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2013 11:24 |  #9

jeljohns wrote in post #15739653 (external link)
Here is one example. As you can see both shots are completely soft.
QUOTED IMAGE

They don't look soft to me. Theres a limited DoF, but thats simply due to the aperture selected.

I'd stick to the centre AF point for a subject like this, keep it glued* on the eyes and use an aperture which will allow a deeper DoF.

*I do mean glued to the eyes, wander off for even a moment and all is lost. Its a nack which needs to be learnt but it can be done.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,757 posts
Gallery: 273 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 21, 2013 11:52 |  #10

I must urge you to watch the videos of the seminar. Then you will understand why the camera does what it does, what it is capable of and what it is not. Everything about the AF is discussed and explained in detail in a way even I can understand.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2013 12:16 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #11

I will for sure watch the videos today.

I want to make sure I am understanding correctly...when you say glued. So, as the dog is stationary I have the center point on their eye, then as they move (towards me--side to side, ect.)...no matter where they move I just keep following with my camera on that point...essentially almost like using a film camera and tracking the subject correct?

When the dogs are still the focus is so sharp I can see each individual hairs on their face, which is why these look incredibly soft to me.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2013 12:26 |  #12

jeljohns wrote in post #15739846 (external link)
I will for sure watch the videos today.

I want to make sure I am understanding correctly...when you say glued. So, as the dog is stationary I have the center point on their eye, then as they move (towards me--side to side, ect.)...no matter where they move I just keep following with my camera on that point...essentially almost like using a film camera and tracking the subject correct?

Ezactly. The moment the AF point wanders off you are lost.

When the dogs are still the focus is so sharp I can see each individual hairs on their face, which is why these look incredibly soft to me.

All I see from your examples are issues with depth of field (a lack of) and in a couple of shots the tail being the focus point not the head. This latter probably caused by trying to use more than the single Centre AF point thus allowing the camera to choose the easy option.

Also remember that AI Servo is not a cure for camera shake, so correct selection of ISO and shutter speed are equally important.

Richard

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2013 12:37 |  #13

Lowner wrote in post #15739866 (external link)
All I see from your examples are issues with depth of field (a lack of) and in a couple of shots the tail being the focus point not the head. This latter probably caused by trying to use more than the single Centre AF point thus allowing the camera to choose the easy option.

Also remember that AI Servo is not a cure for camera shake, so correct selection of ISO and shutter speed are equally important.

Richard,
Can you elaborate on the depth of field issues? As in I'm not the correct distance from the subject or my aperture is too wide?

Thanks

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2013 14:19 |  #14

jeljohns wrote in post #15739887 (external link)
Richard,
Can you elaborate on the depth of field issues? As in I'm not the correct distance from the subject or my aperture is too wide?

Thanks

You need to make sure that when the eyes are in focus, there is sufficient depth of field for the tail to be also in focus. I know there is a fashion for wafer thin DoF when shooting studio portraits for the eyes to be in focus and the ears not, but it looks horrible and makes me cringe. So select your aperture carefully.

I did notice on one of your examples that the grass behind the dog was sharp. Thats not a DoF or camera shake issue, simply you missed focus.

Richard

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2013 14:33 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #15

I was at f/4, so perhaps I need to choose a smaller aperture like f/8?

sponsored links

2,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
MKIII AI Servo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.