Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack, don't know where to start

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 20, 2013 20:48 |  #1

So.... I've spent a lot of time doing research on what body & lens to buy and I've totally done my homework. I'm going to go in and buy a T4i/650D + 18-135mm, 40mm F/2.8 pancake, & a 100mm Macro shortly to dive in head first into this addiction. The first tour of duty of this new setup will be a tour of duty from LA to San Fransico Via Highway 1, so I need some way to carry all this stuff. I looked in the "PotN Show me your camera bag" thread and while I know the walmart bag is double walled, I'm thinking I need something a little better than this. I won't do any serious hiking (sub 2 mile hikes), but I'm going to get out of the car with the stuff, so a backpack would be nice to keep everything together.

As you can tell from the lens above, I'm budget minded. I know high quality bags cost money, but I also know you can get decent bags for less than a kings ransom. While it'd be great if ya'll would just tell me what bag to get, I know I'll need to do some research. I'm hoping is ya'll can be nice and narrow the field for me to a couple popular, value minded bags. Thanks in advance guys, I really do appreciate it.

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 20, 2013 20:53 |  #2

OK - the camera's going to be around your neck (or over your shoulder) if you want it ready, so you're just looking at 1-2 not terribly big lenses. Considered a fanny pack or a couple of belt pouches for just the lenses? A backpack with everything in it is going to deter you from stopping to pull out your camera just for the "Hmmm . . might be a nice picture" shot, and will cause you to miss the once-in-a-lifetime one.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2013 20:57 |  #3

I have just bought myself a Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L which should be able to carry all that gear.

That is one you could look at.

However my purpose for buying the bag was different; I plan on using it for walking around the city, not driving.

If you go on lowepro.com, you'll see they have a bag selector which may help you choose the type of bag you want.

IMO the best low-ish budget yet still good quality brands are: Lowepro, Tamrac, Tenba, Kata

Then you get into the higher priced, but higher quality ones:
F Stop, Clik Elite, Thinktank, Gura Gear

I'm sure I've left some out, but I would suggest you have a browse around the various websites of the manufacturers I've given you. The bags offered by each of those manufacturers tend to be quite similar in style across the whole of their own range, so you can quickly get an idea of what brand you can skip over, or look at more closely. For instance, I've found I dislike most Kata and Thinktank bags, so I look at them last when looking for new gear, and only if I really don't find anything else.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Rashkh
286 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 20, 2013 22:25 |  #4

There are a ton of bags that you can go with. Here's a link to compare a bunch of backpacks. All of them are under $100 and from brands that are quite popular on here.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …173149+42911657​85&mxp=100 (external link)

blackleaf47
31 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 20, 2013 23:43 |  #5

Be careful when buying a backpack. You go too big, and you might fill it until it weighs a ton. I have a Naneau Pro with a nylon rain fly that secures with a shock cord over it. The inside puches are lined in bright orange, so in low light, you can identify things quickly. I've had it for 5 years now, not a single fray, ripped zipper or seam, and no nylon tears. Rugged, and simple.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 20, 2013 23:54 |  #6

Sirrith wrote in post #15737927 (external link)
IMO the best low-ish budget yet still good quality brands are: Lowepro, Tamrac, Tenba, Kata

Then you get into the higher priced, but higher quality ones:
F Stop, Clik Elite, Thinktank, Gura Gear

I have a Lowepro Pro Messenger AW 200, and I know of no better bag of its kind, at any price.

To the OP, I would take Jon's advice, however if you don't plan to, I would look at a sling bag, like this one.

http://www.lowepro.com​/slingshot (external link)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sffire
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2013 00:14 |  #7

Take a look at the Lowepro Fastpack 250 AW, that's what I ended up buying.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2013 03:36 |  #8

mafoo wrote in post #15738358 (external link)
I have a Lowepro Pro Messenger AW 200, and I know of no better bag of its kind, at any price.

To the OP, I would take Jon's advice, however if you don't plan to, I would look at a sling bag, like this one.

I have no problem with lowepro, I've had a couple myself and own 1 now. But I stand by my opinion that the brands I mentioned in the first group are lower quality than the brands in the second group. I am not saying they are low quality at all.
Also, I have no idea about messenger bags, I was talking purely about backpacks.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

miznick
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 21, 2013 08:52 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #9

Check out bags made by Kata. By far my favorite for build quality and design. I've used them for video work as well including camping / rain / etc. Right now I use a DR "Digital Rucksack" for my 5D, 4 lenses, macbook air, and 2 flashes.

Canon 5d | Gitzo 2531EX | Canon Primes

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 08:59 as a reply to  @ miznick's post |  #10

Also check out newegg they have a few sub $100 backpacks

http://www.newegg.com …d&Order=PRICE&P​ageSize=20 (external link)

I picked up the Rosewill bag last week and its very nice for $30 Will hold all your gear with a bit of room to grow as well. Fits very nice (I am a big guy, and my wife is smaller but it fits nice on both of us).

Also might look into a belt harness system for when you are out of the car. I am making a DIY version currently that will attach to my backpack shoulder strap so the camera is out and ready while hiking.

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 21, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #11

+1 for the fannypack!!! I've had a Lowepro for 10 years (don't know the model) and it's great for a field trip. Holds body, tele and standard lens, and some accessories plus everything is easily to see and get to at my waist. Comfortable and well padded. Not my main bag but my first grab for light field shooting.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

vengence
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 21, 2013 12:23 |  #12

Hrmm... I thought I wanted a backpack, but looking at that slingshot maybe I want something like that instead.

Thanks for all the great links guys. I'm afraid some of them may have increased the options I'm looking at instead of narrowing them though :lol:

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 12:40 |  #13

vengence wrote in post #15739861 (external link)
Hrmm... I thought I wanted a backpack, but looking at that slingshot maybe I want something like that instead.

Thanks for all the great links guys. I'm afraid some of them may have increased the options I'm looking at instead of narrowing them though :lol:

you WILL end up with more then one bag lol. I started with a messenger style and it works great for going on day trips into downtown with the family. I have a fanny pack that I used for hiking for a bit, and now also a backpack. My upcoming trip to the beach for 4 days I am taking my backpack that has all my gear and also my "man purse" as my wife likes to call it, so when we wonder around town shopping I dont have such a large bag to carry.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 21, 2013 12:51 |  #14

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15739895 (external link)
you WILL end up with more then one bag lol. I started with a messenger style and it works great for going on day trips into downtown with the family. I have a fanny pack that I used for hiking for a bit, and now also a backpack. My upcoming trip to the beach for 4 days I am taking my backpack that has all my gear and also my "man purse" as my wife likes to call it, so when we wonder around town shopping I dont have such a large bag to carry.

Yea, I have 8-9 bags, and am always looking for something new.

It makes you realize why many women love to purse shop :)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 21, 2013 13:42 |  #15

Since you're planning being out and about shooting, I'm another one that says to just get either a fanny pack or belts + accessory/lens pouches and I nice neck/sling strap. Since you're on a budget you can just any sort of bag/case to store/transport your on the go set up until you can buy something better.

I personally went the belt + accessory/lens pouch route since I already had the nice mid-large(Tamrac Expedition 7x) camera back pack and the pouches can also be used/stored on the back pack. My back is primarily used for storage and transport.

sponsored links

2,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack, don't know where to start
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.