Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Resizing a wide angle shot to print friendly

DanniL
40 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2013 07:59 |  #1

Hi guys
After some advice really
I arrived at a shoot at a clients home and the space was really tight. I couldn't get my large basket prop with baby on in my 50mm frame. So i quickly swapped to my 18-55mm and shot at 30mm.
When it comes to re size and print it doesn't go with a standard 10x8" photo.
How do you guys go about a situation like this to make the photos print friendly for client's?
Thanks Danielle

Danielle - Danni-L Photography
Canon 550D 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Www.Facebook.com/Danni​lphotography (external link)
"Beauty is all around us just open your mind and you can find it"

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,895 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 21, 2013 08:27 |  #2

Crop. I usually shoot a little loose to leave room to crop to 8x10".

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

DanniL
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2013 08:55 |  #3

By cropping down it will cut some of the photo off. The space was pretty tight and I couldn't shoot with spare area

abacus022
Goldmember
1,341 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2013 08:56 |  #4

One solution would be to add a border on the two opposing sides (top/botom) to make it the right proportions. Not as pretty, but a better solution than cutting out wanted/needed portions of the picture itself.

Canon EOS R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2013 11:25 |  #5

Printing at 8x10 will always require cropping as it doesn't match the ratio from the camera, irrespective of which lens you used. The only advantage of using a wider lens would have been for you to include space in the picture that you didn't mind cropping out later.

If you have been forced to shoot quite tight due to lack of space, and don't have sufficient 'excess' for cropping, your only solution will be to add a border as suggested by abacus.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 11:43 as a reply to  @ Sorarse's post |  #6

Yup gotta crop, or get creative with your boarder.

DanniL
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:16 |  #7

Thanks everyone. I'll see what I can do with borders and add that to the top/bottom :-)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:20 |  #8

DanniL wrote in post #15740454 (external link)
Thanks everyone. I'll see what I can do with borders and add that to the top/bottom :-)

Depending on background you may be able to use the content aware fill in PS and extend the background some.

DanniL
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:37 |  #9

I do try and give a studio feel where possibly if an indoors shoot so normally have a plain wall behind so that would certainly be something also. Thanks!!

What I don't want to happen is have this type of situation again in the future, shoot at 30mm and as I only give digital copies giving the images on a disc and then they aren't able to print for a frame.
On the other hand if I put a border round and they need to print and frame with the border will that give an element of unprofessional??!!

Im worried as Im starting out really and don't want to start off the wrong way, and word of mouth and recommendations is everything. .....

Thanks for the advice :-)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2013 15:42 |  #10

DanniL wrote in post #15740534 (external link)
I do try and give a studio feel where possibly if an indoors shoot so normally have a plain wall behind so that would certainly be something also. Thanks!!

What I don't want to happen is have this type of situation again in the future, shoot at 30mm and as I only give digital copies giving the images on a disc and then they aren't able to print for a frame.
On the other hand if I put a border round and they need to print and frame with the border will that give an element of unprofessional??!!

Im worried as Im starting out really and don't want to start off the wrong way, and word of mouth and recommendations is everything. .....

You really need to spend a bit of time with the crop tool in photoshop/lightroom to understand the differences between the standard 2x3 output and the intended printing sizes. You have to understand when you shoot how the image can be cropped afterward, and how you might be limited. Since you are delivering digital files you need to make sure you shoot so that the images can be cropped to standard print sizes.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:44 |  #11

DanniL wrote in post #15740534 (external link)

It does not matter that you shot at 30mm, the image ratio is ALWAYS the same coming out of your camera, it does not change with the lens. A 8x10 is a different crop then a 4x6 and those are different then a 5x7. So if you are only giving images on a disk, just give them the native ratio and let them decide what to do. They may decide to print at an odd size and custom matt it in a frame ... you never know. Always shoot loose and leave room to crop.

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 21, 2013 15:49 |  #12

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15740472 (external link)
Depending on background you may be able to use the content aware fill in PS and extend the background some.

This would be my suggestion. Content aware scale can help here as well. Sometimes a little more effectively than fill, sometimes not as effective.

It's always better to leave wiggle room, but sometimes you end up with an image that just doesn't crop right.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:50 |  #13

Mavgirl wrote in post #15740573 (external link)
This would be my suggestion. Content aware scale can help here as well. Sometimes a little more effectively than fill, sometimes not as effective.

I was not aware of the scale option ... something new to learn :)

CMJrFan8
96 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2013 15:53 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #14

mpix prints 8 x 12
FYI

http://www.mpix.com/pr​oducts/prints/ (external link)

1D4 | 5D3 | 8-15 f/4L Fisheye | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 400 f/5.6L | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | Gitzo GT5541LS | Wimberley Gimball II
http://stillerphotogra​phic.com/ (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2013 16:04 |  #15

CMJrFan8 wrote in post #15740596 (external link)
mpix prints 8 x 12
FYI

http://www.mpix.com/pr​oducts/prints/ (external link)

Costco does as well, my local store does a darn good job too

(OP 8x12 is native ratio no cropping needed)

sponsored links

5,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
Resizing a wide angle shot to print friendly
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.