Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 21, 2013 05:03 as a reply to  @ post 15722575 |  #481

You know what thought lately scares me? The thought that Canon might bring out a new body within 1-1,5 year with a dynamic range on par with the Nikon/Sony cameras and that I'm stuck with my poor DR 6D/5D3 then...

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links
Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 21, 2013 06:09 |  #482

That is rather unlikely... Canon waits about 3 years between product releases of their single digit cameras.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 06:09 |  #483

I remember when this thread first started. I was in the same boat as the OP, not 100% sure if I wanted a 5D3 or a 6D. Want to know what I did? I bought a 5D3. So the last month or so Ive been able to actually go our and shoot with my new camera. Ive been out shooting as oppose to sitting in this thread every day like the OP driving people nuts with my indecisiveness.

OP, go buy the 5D3 refurb from Canon or B&H. Be happy. let this thread die.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

Shimpu
339 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 21, 2013 06:22 as a reply to  @ JAcosta's post |  #484

Another 6D owner here (I also own gripped 5Dc and 40D). I will tell you what are my findings after 1 day of usage:

- center point focuses very fast, in all lighting situations (both moving and static subjects)
- side focus points in daylight are almost as fast, in low light they tend to struggle a bit depending what you try to focus
- lack of joystick is a bit annoying, but I start to get used to the multi-directional button
- however, it drives me nuts I can't go back to center focus point by hitting the SET button; I tried checking settings, manual, I just can't make it work, if someone knows how to achieve this please let me know.
- also, the zoom feature is very annoying at the beginning. I cannot find a good reason to ditch the 2 thumb buttons since they don't do anything anyway in "playback mode". I also tried to custom assign zoom to those buttons but I didn't find this option.
- body feels a little small when using the 70-200F2.8. I guess I need the grip
- after-market battery (brand Hama) doesn't work with the 6D, so I'm not sure whether to like or not that I need to stick to the 80EUR originals. :)
- high ISO sensitivity is so yummy

So after a day of usage in "normal" conditions I can definitely say I'm satisfied and don't regret taking the 5D3. Buuuut, I'll get back to you after I shoot a wedding in 2 weeks. :)

http://onclickphoto.co​m (external link)
Flickr account (external link)
http://share-photography.com/_radu (external link)

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 21, 2013 07:10 |  #485

JAcosta wrote in post #15738885 (external link)
. Ive been out shooting as oppose to sitting in this thread every day like the OP driving people nuts with my indecisiveness.

If you want it to die, don't answer it, i'm sure he is right about a few things, at least he's not jumping bandwagon :O)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 21, 2013 07:29 |  #486

I remember when this thread first started. I was in the same boat as the OP, not 100% sure if I wanted a 5D3 or a 6D. Want to know what I did? I bought a 5D3. So the last month or so Ive been able to actually go our and shoot with my new camera. Ive been out shooting as oppose to sitting in this thread every day like the OP driving people nuts with my indecisiveness.

Well I made my choice and went with the 6D. I am very satisfied with the image quality. And the light weight is great, it's very comfortable to hold

• I miss the build quality and ruggered feel of my 7D, and it's zone AF point settings. It's like going from a Lexus to a Toyota. But a Toyota with much better handling, acceleration and horsepower. The 7D has the same body and build quality of the 5D3.
  • The lack of a joystick doesn't bother me at all, but what does bother me is the lack of a wb and flash exposure comp control on the top LCD.
  • The wifi is awesome, I can go on a shoot, load it on the iPad and start picking my keepers right away, then connect to my home network and download them without messing with any card readers. One problem however, Canon's wifi software seems rather buggy and unreliable. Still, it's about freaking time somebody put wifi in a cameras I love this feature.
  • The GPS feature seems to have a poor antenna and often doesn't pick up any satellites.
  • The side AF points work quite well and accurately, when they work. They occasionally seem unable to find a verticle line though. Only the centre point is as trustworthy as my 7D's AF points.

EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 21, 2013 07:38 |  #487

Mornnb wrote in post #15739002 (external link)
  • The GPS feature seems to have a poor antenna and often doesn't pick up any satellites.
  • The side AF points work quite well and accurately, when they work. They occasionally seem unable to find a verticle line though. Only the centre point is as trustworthy as my 7D's AF points.
    [/LIST]
  • Wow, i'm surprise about the AF, and GPS
    So many people say it's great!

Mornnb
    Goldmember
    1,646 posts
    Joined Aug 2012

Mar 21, 2013 07:49 |  #488

The AF does the job but I'm bringing my 7D for any time I need AI Servo. In fact having a 7D is why I decided I didn't require a 5D3.
    The best thing about the 6D is the image quality, it is absolutely amazing. And it's compact size and weight, it feels great in the hand. The grip is a good size, and the weight difference to the 7D and 5D3 is noticeable. Just large enough to handle L lenses, but lighter enough to be noticeably easier to handle.

500px (external link)

JAcosta
    Goldmember
    1,522 posts
    Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 08:13 |  #489

Well I made my choice and went with the 6D. I am very satisfied with the image quality. And the light weight is great, it's very comfortable to hold
    • I miss the build quality and ruggered feel of my 7D, and it's zone AF point settings. It's like going from a Lexus to a Toyota. But a Toyota with much better handling, acceleration and horsepower. The 7D has the same body and build quality of the 5D3.
    • The lack of a joystick doesn't bother me at all, but what does bother me is the lack of a wb and flash exposure comp control on the top LCD.
    • The wifi is awesome, I can go on a shoot, load it on the iPad and start picking my keepers right away, then connect to my home network and download them without messing with any card readers. One problem however, Canon's wifi software seems rather buggy and unreliable. Still, it's about freaking time somebody put wifi in a cameras I love this feature.

Im glad you found a camera you enjoy using. Interesting to hear about the GPS and wifi however.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
    ^^^Click Here^^^
    Chances are you'll see something else you like!

jocau
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    Goldmember
    1,838 posts
    Joined Mar 2012

Mar 21, 2013 10:52 |  #490

Hmmm. Handling as in what? Ergonomics? It seems like the 7D has the better ergonomics. Acceleration and horsepower? The 7D has a higher FPS. :p I do admit I really like the high ISO pictures that were taken with a 6D.

Hehe. The missing WB button is one thing I don't care about at all since I exclusively shoot in RAW and I always correct my WB during postprocessing.

That's, to me, one of the biggest advantages of the 6D. However I find the EOS Remote app rather basic in its current state. I bought a Camranger recently and the software that came with it is more advanced at this stage. you can e.g. view 100% resolution RAW files, record video & focus while recording (if your camera is supported), use focus stacking, see a live histogram etc...

Well I have a similar experience with the peripheral AF points on my 550D. When it isn't really dark, they will focus as long as the contrast patterns are running in the right direction. When they're not, a focus lock will never occur... I find that a disadvantage and it's the main reason why I don't like non-crosstype AF points.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

irishman
    Goldmember
    4,098 posts
    Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2013 12:26 |  #491

jocau wrote in post #15738810 (external link)
    You know what thought lately scares me? The thought that Canon might bring out a new body within 1-1,5 year with a dynamic range on par with the Nikon/Sony cameras and that I'm stuck with my poor DR 6D/5D3 then...

They will---it's called the 6D MkII. If I were you I'd wait for a couple of years after it comes out for the price to fall, so we're talking about 4 years total. In the meanwhile, let's keep this thread going :rolleyes:.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

VicSkimmr
    551 posts
    Joined Oct 2008

Mar 21, 2013 12:45 as a reply to  @ irishman's post |  #492

On the flip side, I went and got a 6D right after this thread started, and I've been just as pleased with it as I'm sure you are with your 5D3, lol. Either camera will be great, just make a choice.

-Jason
    [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/jasonwith​ers/"]flickr (external link)

jocau
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    Goldmember
    1,838 posts
    Joined Mar 2012

Mar 21, 2013 12:54 as a reply to  @ VicSkimmr's post |  #493

To all the people who don't like the fact that this thread is still alive: if you don't like it, stay out of it. You can discuss and share your experiences/opinions etc, but stop nagging about the thread still being alive...

ifi
    173 posts
    Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2013 13:02 |  #494

jocau wrote in post #15738810 (external link)

bw! yeah, it is scary :)

irishman wrote in post #15739865 (external link)
    They will---it's called the 6D MkII. If I were you I'd wait for a couple of years after it comes out for the price to fall, so we're talking about 4 years total. In the meanwhile, let's keep this thread going :rolleyes:.

:lol: LOL :lol:

:)

gabebalazs
    Bird Whisperer
    7,640 posts
    Gallery: 52 photos
    Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2013 13:31 |  #495

Mornnb wrote in post #15739044 (external link)
    The AF does the job but I'm bringing my 7D for any time I need AI Servo. In fact having a 7D is why I decided I didn't require a 5D3.
    The best thing about the 6D is the image quality, it is absolutely amazing. And it's compact size and weight, it feels great in the hand. The grip is a good size, and the weight difference to the 7D and 5D3 is noticeable. Just large enough to handle L lenses, but lighter enough to be noticeably easier to handle.

bw!
    EXACTLY my points. I knew I was going to keep my 7D no matter what (I do a lot of bird photography), so the 6D was the best solution for me (and not the 5D3)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
    Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
    Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

111,517 views & 0 likes for this thread
    6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
    FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.