Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Mar 2013 (Monday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do?

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 18, 2013 16:45 |  #16

ssim wrote in post #15729169 (external link)
I do not understand why this is such a hard question for so many people. Of course people are going to try and get a service for as little as possible. You have an opportunity to upsell your coworker to a more reasonable price or simply say thanks but no thanks. Each person that does this as a hobby and supplements with the odd paid job will have their own opinion as to what their threshold is that makes it worthwhile. If they don't come up to this then I would pass. Its a pretty black and white question for me.

Sorry! I'm not a professional photographer, I was asking for advice on how to handle the situation. Please don't post on my post when all you are doing is saying it's simple and looking down your nose at me for asking such a "novice" question. Don't act like a snob :/

5D Mark3 | 600D | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II L | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II L
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,546 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 18, 2013 16:54 |  #17

He's not being snobby at all. It's a common theme question from many beginners - what do I charge? Basically, word to the wise - if you're not comfortable with shooting it, and if it's not worth taking time away from your family/friends/hobbies on your weekend days, don't do it. Simple as that.

What everyone charges is their business. Question is - is it worth it to you to do it for that price? Many people would say no, and for those who say yes, might regret it later.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 18, 2013 17:11 |  #18

It came across like that, I just didn't know how to go about either saying no or asking for the price to be more (second option will go no where) with out it being awkward at work

5D Mark3 | 600D | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II L | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II L
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 20, 2013 17:56 |  #19

Mattyy wrote in post #15729269 (external link)
Sorry! I'm not a professional photographer, I was asking for advice on how to handle the situation. Please don't post on my post when all you are doing is saying it's simple and looking down your nose at me for asking such a "novice" question. Don't act like a snob :/

Whoa....easy tiger. There was nothing snobby about that answer. This question comes up on almost a daily basis and the answer really is as simple as outlined. Is your work of such quality that it commands a higher price than that? If the answer is yes, simply tell the individual that your price for events of that nature is XXXX (insert figure you are comfortable with) and the ball is back in their court. They can either hire you or find someone else willing to work for their original offer.

Mattyy wrote in post #15729360 (external link)
It came across like that, I just didn't know how to go about either saying no or asking for the price to be more (second option will go no where) with out it being awkward at work

It didn't read it that way at all. Sheldon is a well respected and helpful member of the forum. His answer certainly was not out of line. If you are not comfortable with asking the potential customer for what you deem to be a fair price, simply decline the job and move on. There is no reason for the situation to be awkward....simply explain that you won't be able to do the job, you don't need to be any more specific than that.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Kober
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 21, 2013 04:37 |  #20

Hey ... it's a great deal if you've never shot a wedding and want to get into it but you need something to show a perspective Bridezilla (sorry, couldn't resist :-) But it sounds like you're a bit beyond this point so I would put my best smile on and give her a cheery No Thank You. Often such a completely unreasonable person as she does turn into a true "Bridezilla" ... just something to be aware of from what I'm told.

The other option I suppose is you could tell her to try and save about 100£ a month, give you a 30% deposit in about 6 months and another third about a year out with the remainder at the wedding or there abouts. She may ... think that's a terrific idea, although I'm guessing it's not in the cards but it's the thought that counts :eek:

Also tell her .. what ever else they spend on the wedding, food Limo, Hall, etc. is gone in a matter of HOURS. Your pics are there FOREVER. Maybe she'll understand the perspective ... maybe :rolleyes:

Kober
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 21, 2013 04:39 |  #21

Six6Sicks wrote in post #15728671 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I do think this is the best response though :cool:

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 21, 2013 04:49 |  #22

"Sorry, your price point is too low. Unfortunately, I have to cover my photography expenses, education, experience, and time. Craigslist could be a great place to look for a photographer to match your budget."

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 21, 2013 05:16 |  #23

I did my first wedding completely free of charge and even covered the fuel to drive an hour there and an hour back.

For me it was worth it because the expectations from the couple were so low and it was all part of my longer term strategy.

Work out what a fair price is for YOU, pitch that, and your cost and her budget can't line up, you have your answer.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:01 |  #24

$75?? I would just say I'm sorry I can't. if she asks why just tell her that her budget is far too low for your going rate and leave it at that.

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2013 15:14 |  #25

I "paid" a friend £50 to shoot my wedding. Which was a small affair in a registrars, just me and the Mrs, our 2 kids and her mum and my dad. He wanted to do it for free as a favour and £50 was the most he would take from me for his time. He took 40 or less shots, the thing lasted 30 mins and his PP time was about an hour. I just got him to put the end results on a memory stick.

The shots were practice for him, and better than me doing them myself. I would have paid him a couple of hundred but he insisted on £50 under duress.

When he did non mates weddings, he has a contract and also meets with the bride and groom beforehand to discuss what they want. He then charges based on total hours + shot requirement + PP time and if they want prints/albums or digital only etc. Cheapest wedding he did was £400 UK and some he charges maybe £1200-£1500 depending on the package. He likes his food so he usually negotiates a meal too :)

I think that my point is that he was worth more than £50, but we also had very low requirements for the shots and it was 30 mins shooting, 1 hour travel, I bought him a pint and he did 1 hour to do PP. But, for a "real" wedding he would spend a whole day, pay an assistant/second shooter, have meetings and emails to deal with, have to organise the wedding party, do an album presentation and spend a lot of time on PP.

What he got out of it was practice in a place he hadn't shot before ( he has had several shots there since ). An easy client requirement ( we both work at the same place and are friends, I just wanted some simple shots ) and a pint and £50 for 2.5 hours work, which is more than we earn at our main jobs.

I got some shots of our wedding and a nice guy who was a friend taking them.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

DegasGoneDigital
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 21, 2013 16:30 |  #26

I would tell Her the price You feel is reasonable and offer to throw in a free 11X14 print at that price.. If She won't do it then offer to help Her find someone that's in Her price range...

-Sam.
1DX,5D3
8-15 fisheye, 16-35 F4 IS, 24-70 F4 IS, 100 F 2.8 IS Macro, 70-200 F4 IS
100-400 IS II , 500 F4 IS II, 1.4TC III.. 2.0TC III...
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/degasgonedigita​l/ (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 21, 2013 17:24 |  #27

"Do you want me to shoot your precious memories with my $75 point and shoot camera or my $1000 professional quality camera? Oh, I am sorry, but I can't bring my $1000 camera to a $75 event."

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 21, 2013 17:59 |  #28

Old Coot wrote in post #15740854 (external link)
"Do you want me to shoot your precious memories with my $75 point and shoot camera or my $1000 professional quality camera? Oh, I am sorry, but I can't bring my $1000 camera to a $75 event."

^ This is so true, good comparison

Staszek wrote in post #15738795 (external link)
"Sorry, your price point is too low. Unfortunately, I have to cover my photography expenses, education, experience, and time. Craigslist could be a great place to look for a photographer to match your budget."

Thanks, that may be a better approach than the others on here that just say "no" at least it doesn't seem so blunt.

SOK wrote in post #15738819 (external link)
I did my first wedding completely free of charge and even covered the fuel to drive an hour there and an hour back.

Admittedly I haven't done any wedding before but I do have a price for other work, and before hers I have family and friends weddings lined up, so... It's not like hers will be "testing the waters" so to speak ;)

Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 21, 2013 18:07 |  #29

bw!

Mattyy wrote in post #15729269 (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2013 18:15 |  #30

You don't want to do the wedding for the offered fee, so gently and respectfully decline. Something like, "Thank you for asking but since I only do a few weddings my fees start at £500."

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

4,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.