Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you do with your images?

gen2roller
380 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 21, 2013 16:24 |  #1

Sell them? Share them? Keep them in a folder never to be seen again? Just curious the motivation behind your shooting, and how many, if any are selling their work regularly and/or making a living off their photographs

7D Gripped | 5D MKII Gripped |Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 IS II | 16-35L f/2.8 II | Opteka 6.5mm Fisheye | Cybersyncs and Vivitars
Brian Sorg
www.facebook.com/bsorg​photo (external link)
www.bsorgphoto.bigcart​el.com (external link)

sponsored links
Pumazooma
58 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 21, 2013 17:30 |  #2

Share them, and put the best ones on a digital photo frame in my living room.

Canon 550D, 5D Mkiii, 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 100mm L Macro, 16-35mm L, 24-105mm L, 100-400mm L, 50mm f1.8

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 21, 2013 18:07 as a reply to  @ Pumazooma's post |  #3

My hobby happened by accident but over the last 5 years I've learned a lot and that's my main purpose for keeping at it...to learn. Others seem to enjoy what I do so I love to share what I'm fortunate to see through the viewfinder. I make prints available and I've published 4 books documenting a local pair of Eagles and each nesting season since 2009.

I've had many people insist on how I approach my hobby or what I should be doing but I remind them I only do this for myself not anyone else. If it becomes work for me I tend to get bored and move onto something else....so right now I'm just having fun enjoying nature.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

gen2roller
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 21, 2013 18:09 as a reply to  @ Duane N's post |  #4

I'm right there with you, Duane. Progression is my motivator as well! That, and being able to see and photograph things some/most people may never see in a lifetime.

7D Gripped | 5D MKII Gripped |Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 IS II | 16-35L f/2.8 II | Opteka 6.5mm Fisheye | Cybersyncs and Vivitars
Brian Sorg
www.facebook.com/bsorg​photo (external link)
www.bsorgphoto.bigcart​el.com (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,134 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 21, 2013 18:10 |  #5

Put them in a book for sharing and print them large, matte and frame them for gallery shows... then sell them!

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2013 18:12 |  #6

Sell some, but mostly keep them online for browsing and sharing.

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 21, 2013 19:57 |  #7

Sell (both to individuals and magazines), frame and have the ones I like in a book that I show to various people. I'm not making a living off of it though. Just a couple of thousand a year at most.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2013 20:00 |  #8

Shameless plug..

Everyone is invited

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/FleetingMomentsPostcard_zps43ab5ccc.jpg

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2013 20:09 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15741279 (external link)
Shameless plug..

Everyone is invited
QUOTED IMAGE

Heheheheh...

For the OP, you post this in the bird section. Well, selling photos of birds is kind of hard unless you are capturing some really rare species in their rare moments. Even that, not a lot of people are into bird photography. When I was still shooting birds with my 500L no less, I was shooting them because I love the 500L look. I was only capturing your typical common bird species. A lot of my shots look like a piece of 3D painting. One day I would make a photo book from them.

Nowadays, I shoot stuff that can sell, event and cycling race photography. Most of the times, I shoot just because I need to feel creative, that's it.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 21, 2013 21:35 |  #10

Not that bicycle racing is a big money maker either. ;) A little here, a little there, it all adds up.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2013 21:38 |  #11

TooManyShots wrote in post #15741310 (external link)
Heheheheh...

For the OP, you post this in the bird section. Well, selling photos of birds is kind of hard unless you are capturing some really rare species in their rare moments. Even that, not a lot of people are into bird photography. When I was still shooting birds with my 500L no less, I was shooting them because I love the 500L look. I was only capturing your typical common bird species. A lot of my shots look like a piece of 3D painting. One day I would make a photo book from them.

Nowadays, I shoot stuff that can sell, event and cycling race photography. Most of the times, I shoot just because I need to feel creative, that's it.

Thats why I said shameless plug plus he looks like a bird.

I shoot almost everyday for clients and have for a couple decades which feeds the family and that frees me to shoot whatever and however I want for me.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2013 22:00 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Biffbradford wrote in post #15741524 (external link)
Not that bicycle racing is a big money maker either. ;) A little here, a little there, it all adds up.

Don't get me started with shooting bike races. I am cutting back this year and hopefully this would drive up some demands. Hehehehe I am hoping I would shoot more events this year though.

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2013 22:01 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15741538 (external link)
Thats why I said shameless plug plus he looks like a bird.

I shoot almost everyday for clients and have for a couple decades which feeds the family and that frees me to shoot whatever and however I want for me.

I guess I should book my flight soon....:)

Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,680 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 21, 2013 22:05 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15740990 (external link)
Put them in a book for sharing and print them large, matte and frame them for gallery shows... then sell them!

I haven't yet gone the book route that Jake has but I do the other activities in additon to museum competition. Additionally I'll use "project shots" in my photo blog, and I also donate my shooting time and work to a non-profit for their PR and promotional imagery.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,680 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 21, 2013 22:10 |  #15

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15741279 (external link)
Shameless plug..

Everyone is invited
QUOTED IMAGE

Not shameless when it's quality work Allen ;). Like I said before, this one is my favorite.... really nails it. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

3,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you do with your images?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.