Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Mar 2013 (Friday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How often do you clean your sensor?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,980 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 21, 2013 14:50 |  #31

Ursie wrote in post #15739712 (external link)
I haven't found that the sensor cleaning does anything to dust spots on my sensor. Have done the test shot before, then the sensor cleaning then test again. Spots are the same.

Then rocket blower, test shots, spots same.

So when I get spots I seem to need a wet clean (all on my 5DM2)

Ursula,

It seems as if you may have somehow gotten something on your sensor other than dry dust. That could be why you needed a wet cleaning.

Not sure how on earth anything other than dust could have gotten on your sensor, except that maybe some type of lubricant was at one time used on your body or lens? Or maybe lens cleaning solution was in use when there was no lens on the body and the mirror was up? Not sure how that could happen, but I can't think of any other way anything other than dry dust could have gotten all the way past the mirror / shutter assembly and onto the sensor.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
scott ­ rolf
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 21, 2013 15:05 as a reply to  @ post 15740322 |  #32

Other than changing lenses, how else would dust get onto the sensor?
The only reason I ask is that I have never cleaned my sensor and don't have any spotting in my shots. I only have two primes (50L & 35L) and pretty much keep the 35 on all the time. Should I be going through the cleaning exercise even though my shots are spot-free?

ericm678
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2013 20:29 |  #33

scott rolf wrote in post #15740403 (external link)
The only reason I ask is that I have never cleaned my sensor and don't have any spotting in my shots. I only have two primes (50L & 35L) and pretty much keep the 35 on all the time. Should I be going through the cleaning exercise even though my shots are spot-free?

some fire of shots without the lens attached or the body cap on which is rough on the sensor and the mirror can instantly get dust on it even when changing lenses.

from what i've heard from experienced photographers you should only clean your equipment when you notice spots or dust in your shots. mostly the sensor, lens cleaning is quick and easy, but still have to be very careful.

one way to detect is by looking at a white wall or just a sheet of paper on a wall, and fire off a long exposure (10 secs or longer) exposing the sensor for a long time allowing it to show any defects or dust that might've caught up on it.

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist" --Pablo Picasso
Gear: 40D-----85 f/1.8-----40 f/2.8----- 20 f/2.8
Wishlist: 6D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 21, 2013 23:52 |  #34

Many or most spots won't show up unless you are shooting a "smooth" scene (such as a sky) at a narrow aperture, f/8, f/11, etc. If you are in the habit of shooting "busy" scenes and especially at wider apertures spots may not show up at all.

So, you can say "what's the bother?". That's true until you see that nice landscape that you really want to capture, get a great shot, and then open it on your computer to see all these dang spots!

So, the way to determine if you have spots is to stop your aperture down (f/16 is a nice testing aperture) and take a shot of either a clear blue sky or an overcast with nice smooth light gray, or even a white wall, and see for yourself!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

scott ­ rolf
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 22, 2013 08:16 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #35

I'll do that. Thank you for the input on this.

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 22, 2013 08:33 |  #36

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15740344 (external link)

Tom , I've spotted spots on the first Image of yours I looked at that I thought spots would show up in..:p

Fantastic shots you have though, really impressive.

This one (external link) has 2 spots in the sky.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 22, 2013 23:12 |  #37

When I get around to it, which is usually at the point that the dust bunnies start to annoy me.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 23, 2013 09:30 |  #38

Every time I turn my camera on and off :rolleyes:

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,980 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2013 18:00 |  #39

*Jayrou wrote in post #15742741 (external link)
Tom , I've spotted spots on the first Image of yours I looked at that I thought spots would show up in..:p

Fantastic shots you have though, really impressive.

This one (external link) has 2 spots in the sky.

Wow - that one's an oldie! Taken back when I first started doing this. In fact, that was taken back before I even had a rocket blower, or knew about them, for that matter.

Yes, you're right - I do frequently have spots. I never claimed that I don't get spots from dust - I frequently get tons of spots from dust . . . that's why I have to use the rocket blower so frequently and blast the dust off.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 23, 2013 18:02 |  #40

When did you take it Tom?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,980 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2013 18:11 |  #41

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
If I remember correctly, it was in the fall of 2008 - my first year photographing deer!

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2013 18:33 |  #42

hollis_f wrote in post #15738860 (external link)
Wherever you read that - it's wrong.

The 5DIII will be using a system similar to, possibly better than, the one on my 7D. And that hasn't been cleaned for over 2 years - and still doesn't require cleaning.

Back when I used my 10D, 20D, and 30D, sensor dust and oil were a nightmare that took a lot of the joy out of photography. I remember being reminded constantly by Olympus users how much better their cameras were because of the built-in sensor cleaning. I have never needed to clean my 50D, 7D, 5D2, or 6D. The few times I've had a speck or fiber with these cameras, it disappeared with a power cycle, or worked its way off during a series of shots.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2013 18:39 |  #43

Never clean a sensor "just in case". Taking a chance of scratching the sensor or breaking the mirror, to solve a non-existent problem, is not a good policy.

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 23, 2013 18:45 |  #44

Never....4 years with t2i....4 months so far with 7d

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2013 19:46 |  #45

One tip to reduce the possibility of letting dust in is to have the lens pointing down when swapping lens. Unless there is blowing dust gravity will keep the interior dust free.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

sponsored links

4,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
How often do you clean your sensor?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.