Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 00:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon T5i vs T4i

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 21, 2013 20:48 as a reply to  @ post 15741368 |  #31

I read these new release threads for the entertainment value. I'm not in the market for anything new and have no interest in the T5i. This is just an observation. Since I bought my first DSLR 3 years ago (T1i kit), I have yet to see Canon make any release which is actually heralded on this forum. Everything gets body slammed at first because they didn't do this, or they left off that, or they didn't add someone's pet feature. Then at sometime in the future when people actually get their hands on the product, they find some good things to say about it. I guess what I don't get is the immediate jumping to conclusions which often prove to be no more than partially correct, if that.

The way I see it, if you don't like it, you don't buy it, and maybe Canon gets a message. In any case, with their extensive lineup, Canon probably does offer something for almost everyone, so get what you feel you need, or keep what you have, or switch to Nikon. :evil:

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 22, 2013 01:19 |  #32

On POTN You're dealing with a lot of pros, semipros, enthusiasts, gearheads,... so of course they are going to be harder on cameras. It's good and bad.

I thought I saw that the sensor is still 18MP but is actually a new sensor?

Regardless, unless the ISO is clean by a stop better than the T4i, the fact that there is nothing else that makes the T5i compelling in any way really is disappointing. The SL1 is more interesting/compelling because it is at least different.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 22, 2013 07:22 |  #33

BrickR wrote in post #15742092 (external link)
On POTN You're dealing with a lot of pros, semipros, enthusiasts, gearheads,... so of course they are going to be harder on cameras. It's good and bad.

I thought I saw that the sensor is still 18MP but is actually a new sensor?

Regardless, unless the ISO is clean by a stop better than the T4i, the fact that there is nothing else that makes the T5i compelling in any way really is disappointing. The SL1 is more interesting/compelling because it is at least different.

There seems to be little to differentiate it even from T3i, other than video AF and cross-type focus points. And the video AF, at least on the T4i I tried, was rather unreliable and overall seemed to be more of a gimmick. Now the improved focus would win me over, but I wouldn't shell out even $100 for it, and at any rate the T4i would be cheaper. When you compare it to T4i, at least on paper, the T5i seems more like T4ii.

Unless they improved the sensor, as you say, this is going to be a huge disappointment. To be honest, any Rebel improvements since T2i were very incremental. Some useful features added but little in the way of IQ.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 22, 2013 08:54 |  #34

Preeb wrote in post #15741404 (external link)
I read these new release threads for the entertainment value. I'm not in the market for anything new and have no interest in the T5i. This is just an observation. Since I bought my first DSLR 3 years ago (T1i kit), I have yet to see Canon make any release which is actually heralded on this forum. Everything gets body slammed at first because they didn't do this, or they left off that, or they didn't add someone's pet feature. Then at sometime in the future when people actually get their hands on the product, they find some good things to say about it. I guess what I don't get is the immediate jumping to conclusions which often prove to be no more than partially correct, if that.

The way I see it, if you don't like it, you don't buy it, and maybe Canon gets a message. In any case, with their extensive lineup, Canon probably does offer something for almost everyone, so get what you feel you need, or keep what you have, or switch to Nikon. :evil:

Generally that seems to be correct, but in previous Rebel offerings there seems to have been more that is new with each model. Other than the potentially better low light capability, this "new" camera looks like a very minor upgrade over the not very old T4i. It will probably not result in better pictures than any of the three previous offerings in that range. The camera itself is probably very nice, but I can see no compelling reason to even upgrade to it from a 3 generations old T2i. That I believe is the real issue here. As a comparison, the differences between a 40D, 50D and 60D are significant. I expect the 70D to be more than just a minor tweak.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2013 09:47 |  #35

Amamba wrote in post #15742555 (external link)
There seems to be little to differentiate it even from T3i, other than video AF and cross-type focus points. And the video AF, at least on the T4i I tried, was rather unreliable and overall seemed to be more of a gimmick. Now the improved focus would win me over, but I wouldn't shell out even $100 for it, and at any rate the T4i would be cheaper. When you compare it to T4i, at least on paper, the T5i seems more like T4ii.

Unless they improved the sensor, as you say, this is going to be a huge disappointment. To be honest, any Rebel improvements since T2i were very incremental. Some useful features added but little in the way of IQ.

There's a lot to differentiate it from the t3i, little differentiation from the t4i. To start 9 cross type AF points with a high precision f2.8 center point. If nothing else that is worth the money to me.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,271 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 22, 2013 09:52 |  #36

kenshap wrote in post #15742958 (external link)
There's a lot to differentiate it from the t3i, little differentiation from the t4i. To start 9 cross type AF points with a high precision f2.8 center point. If nothing else that is worth the money to me.

isn't it the same as the t4i? at least the specs list on dpreview.com list it exactly the same way...

"9 point AF system, all sensors cross type, central sensor F2.8 (from 60D)"

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 22, 2013 10:22 |  #37

DreDaze wrote in post #15742979 (external link)
isn't it the same as the t4i? at least the specs list on dpreview.com list it exactly the same way...

"9 point AF system, all sensors cross type, central sensor F2.8 (from 60D)"

That's what he said. He said that there was much to differentiate from the T3i not the T4i.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,271 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 22, 2013 10:48 |  #38

Whoops...totally misread that

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 22, 2013 10:52 |  #39

Preeb wrote in post #15743087 (external link)
That's what he said. He said that there was much to differentiate from the T3i not the T4i.

Exactly. The latest firmware update to the 7D added a lot more new functionality to an existing body than Canon put in to this "new" model. It might be a great camera for a novice or a second body for a more seasoned amateur, but unless you're currently using an Rebel XT or Xti, or maybe a T3, its not much of an upgrade. Let's see what they do with the 70D/7D II. Hope they are less disappointing. However, given the sensor in he 5D Mark III and the 6D, I don't expect either of those new bodies to carry a 24MP sensor.

It would be nice if there was a new Canon body that we could actually get excited about for a change, like when the 7D was introduced.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 22, 2013 11:34 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #40

The real problem is that they reach a point where adding more to a certain body would take it out of the niche that it's designed to fit into. How much can you really do to a Rebel and have it still be a Rebel? Add too many features to a "T" series body and it overlaps with the "XXD" series, and that creates another issue. Keep one and discontinue the other? Try to market an entry level body at a mid level price point? I think that they get into the issue of not have something to offer a certain demographic, and that is economically unfeasible.

What I see on various photography forums is that people always want all of the neat features, but they want them at an entry level price. That's just not realistic.

Rick

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 22, 2013 12:35 |  #41

mwsilver wrote in post #15742794 (external link)
...but I can see no compelling reason to even upgrade to it from a 3 generations old T2i...

As a Rebel T2i owner, I would expect I would never upgrade to another Rebel. Not because I regret buying the T2i; I most definitely do not. It is an excellent camera, and was the best mix of IQ and value for money when I bought it (in my judgment, of course.)

Rather, I would upgrade to something in the xxD or xD line. With Canon's current product offering, that would be the 6D for me (but, since I'm not upgrading any time soon, it will be something different when I actually do upgrade).

From that perspective, it is pretty much irrelevant to my personal purchasing decisions whether the T5i is a significant advance over the T4i or not.

However, it is interesting to watch Canon's product development path unfold. In that view, releasing a T5i with such apparently minor improvements so soon after the T4i indicates to me there is something significant happening internally.

"Significant" may be they are in big trouble in being able to make real technical advances fast enough to keep up, and are entering an extended period of treading water and slow decline.

Or significant may mean they have a major bit of technology almost ready to go commercial, but it is not quite ready, or has been delayed a few months, or something like that. If that is what is happening, then the T5i may represent a "plan B" release in the Rebel line to keep the cash flowing in until the new tech is ready.

Personally, I do find it difficult to believe the T5i is what they planned to do all along for the second Rebel model after the T3i. It seems to be just too minor of a set of improvements for that.

All of the above, though, is just random speculation by me.

Tom

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2013 13:14 |  #42

^^^^^ but makes a lot of sense.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

MikeD18
107 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 22, 2013 15:58 as a reply to  @ kenshap's post |  #43

Ford always had that problem. They build an entry level car and within 3 years, they've hung every option they make off of it. Then it's no longer an entry level car. Look how they ruined the Thunderbird and the original Mustang. Same thing may be happening here. JMO

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 22, 2013 18:48 |  #44

I think the T5i is actually a decent upgrade from a T3i -- from a T4, not so much.

But that's kinda what you'd expect - if you skip out of the Rebel line then it's not interesting any more, but within it, generation-skipping (at least) is about what I'd expect to see. The difference is the cross-type AF sensors, which do matter and bring a 60D-level AF system into the camera.

So I don't think it's a bad announcement... just not what a lot of people wanted.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

Thurman
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 22, 2013 18:53 |  #45

tickerguy wrote in post #15744789 (external link)
I think the T5i is actually a decent upgrade from a T3i -- from a T4, not so much.

But that's kinda what you'd expect - if you skip out of the Rebel line then it's not interesting any more, but within it, generation-skipping (at least) is about what I'd expect to see. The difference is the cross-type AF sensors, which do matter and bring a 60D-level AF system into the camera.

So I don't think it's a bad announcement... just not what a lot of people wanted.

Nah I don't think so, the T4i is almost the same as the T5i so its not a huge upgrade, if people want to go from a T3i to something else then i'd pick a T4i as it will get cheaper, I picked my T4i up last week for 648 body only.I don't know if that's a deal but that's cheaper than the T5i.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i|18-55mm|50mm|55-250mm

sponsored links

32,315 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon T5i vs T4i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.